Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover update

In my experience iron removers are nice and help in some cases but they are not necessary if you do a good clay process.

On car paint it`s kinda hard to see besides white.

I had one good experience with an iron remover on my father`s white Nissan. You could actually see the little rust spots in the paint and the fine clay was working but it took a lot of passes to remove so after 30min or so - the car was covered - i thought about my iron remover, which i kinda gave up on. It really did seem to help the process but maybe it was just because i had to take a break to go get some iron remover lol I hate the smell! I hope they don`t work so i haven`t got to use it. I will try it again later this year with my father`s new honda white CRV to see if i have a good experience. If not i doubt i will buy anymore.

btw iron removers are terrible on sealed pavement, They definitely have some kind of active ingredients.

Thinking about more..., it really helped me get rust spots off an old stand up freezer - all white last year. Not sure if an APC would of done the same but the purple effect was fun that time. Even my father thought it was cool and he`s not impressed easily haha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron remover update

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    In my experience iron removers are nice and help in some cases but they are not necessary if you do a good clay process.

On car paint it`s kinda hard to see besides white.

I had one good experience with an iron remover on my father`s white Nissan. You could actually see the little rust spots in the paint and the fine clay was working but it took a lot of passes to remove so after 30min or so - the car was covered - i thought about my iron remover, which i kinda gave up on. It really did seem to help the process but maybe it was just because i had to take a break to go get some iron remover lol I hate the smell! I hope they don`t work so i haven`t got to use it. I will try it again later this year with my father`s new honda white CRV to see if i have a good experience. If not i doubt i will buy anymore.

btw iron removers are terrible on sealed pavement, They definitely have some kind of active ingredients.

Thinking about more..., it really helped me get rust spots off an old stand up freezer - all white last year. Not sure if an APC would of done the same but the purple effect was fun that time. Even my father thought it was cool and he`s not impressed easily haha
    noorth:
    Who is the manufacturer and their product name of the iron remover you were using on the stand-up freezer? I assume it was the same as that used on your vehicle.
    I ask because I myself am trying to find a great, not just "good", iron decontaminate remover detailing product, as are other Autopians.

As far as "active ingredients" that are in iron removers, I highly suggest looking at the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer to see what specific chemicals are used in their particular formula AND any specific warnings or safety concerns they may have on how and where to use that product and what impacts it may have on other materials, like the sealed pavement you alluded to.
    Good example is the Super Heavy Duty Degreaser sold by Harbor Freight Tools. Right on the label it says NOT to use as a daily wash for floors (specific material or type of flooring is not identified or listed), unless diluted 200:1!! (at that ratio, all you need is 5/8 of an ounce (about 4 teaspoons) of it per gallon of water) Not sure what would happen if you did not follow the directions, but it must be sever enough from previous experience by users to place this warning information on the product label itself.
    GB detailer
    Likes noorth liked this post

Thread Information