Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: High dollaer cweamic installs by stand alone deatailers going to be see the hundreds of tv ads running for products under $10.

It was still around when I was growing up. I always steered towards meguiar`s though
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High dollaer cweamic installs by stand alone deatailers going to be see the hundreds of tv ads running for products under $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Yes ! I also remember Blue Coral !!!!!
    Remember?!?!?!?! I still have my kit, unused. I`ve been saving it for when I have a good car...since about 1980. A couple years later I worked with a guy who used to wax his car with Blue Poly (I guess that was an early liquid sealant made by Blue Coral), EVERY WEEK. A true Autopian, decades before Autopia. Are you out there, TC?

PS Did I mention the bottle of cleaner is all dried up? And the jar of wax rattles like the wax is shrunk up to the size of a quarter.
    Likes Stokdgs, 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec:
    Did that Blue Poly have a parrot bird on the label?? Not that it matters, but I do remember Blue Poly. Seems to have a "metallic smell" to it and was a light lime-green in color. The metallic smell might have been from the aluminum oxide abrasives in it, because I thought it "cleaned" single stage paints, judging from the paint colors that were transferred to my cotton flour sack clothes I used at that time for wipe-off.
    Kind of an early forerunner of an All-In-One (AIO)
    I still have an unopened box of Turtle Wax Poly-Shell Kit. Good stuff back in the day. And then DuPont came out with Rain Dance (more good stuff in the day) and after that I found "The Treatment" paint prep cleaner (in a bottle) and carnauba wax (in a tube!), and the Turtle Wax was relegated to the back shelf
    We are morphing this thread discussion into old detailing products from the (ancient) past. (Then again, Captain Obvious, aren`t you from the "ancient past"? Just sayin`....)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Um...Lonnie...it wasn`t lime green--it was blue.

1982 Blue Poly Car Wax Sealer "Pat Summerall" TV Commercial - YouTube
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of that old stuff wasn`t all that bad, the Poly-Shell, Treatment, and Rain Dance included...trim-staining notwithstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe THAT`S why no one is responding to these thread topics; I keep talking about "the old days" and detailing products from those days.
    Nothin` relevent to today.
    An old, has-been detailer reminiscing and talking (typing out his responses) in his shaky, squeaky, elderly voice, "I remember when...." HUMMMMMM!
    (Hey, we gotta blame somebody!.. Quit laughing! Well, those of us that still look at this forum, anyway.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- OK, maybe we *are* just old guys reminiscing about the old days, but I still like these trips down Memory Lane. If nothing else, it helps me remember when I actually *enjoyed* doing this stuff, and it gets me thinking that maybe, just maybe...I will enjoy it again some time. Keeping a vehicle Autopian is a lot easier when you don`t begrudge having to do it.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- OK, maybe we *are* just old guys reminiscing about the old days, but I still like these trips down Memory Lane. If nothing else, it helps me remember when I actually *enjoyed* doing this stuff, and it gets me thinking that maybe, just maybe...I will enjoy it again some time. Keeping a vehicle Autopian is a lot easier when you don`t begrudge having to do it.
    I still "enjoy" detailing, but the physical demands on myself at my age are just more demanding than I care to admit.
    Or at least my body says so. And it just takes a little longer.
    I know the adage, "Don`t work harder, work smarter." But I don`t like to cut corners or not do detailing tasks to the OCD Captain Obvious level or expectation or standard I have, but alas, I find myself "compromising" on some methods or tasks just because, well, I am tired and simply cannot do things like I did 20 years ago. It is what it is....
    GB detailer
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

50 years ago, when I had both adequate time and energy, I passed on all the late-night infomercial miracle products in favor of the classy ads in the print mags such as Car & Driver and purchased Classic Car Wax and its sister aviation product, Classic Slipstream. Both were Carnauba-based cleaner waxes that took a little work to apply, but lasted nearly forever. If they were still made today, I`d probably never have found PBMG.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    50 years ago, when I had both adequate time and energy, I passed on all the late-night infomercial miracle products in favor of the classy ads in the print mags such as Car & Driver and purchased Classic Car Wax and its sister aviation product, Classic Slipstream. Both were Carnauba-based cleaner waxes that took a little work to apply, but lasted nearly forever. If they were still made today, I`d probably never have found PBMG.
    I believe I still have a can of Slipstream. Used to love the Classic car wash. If I`m not mistaken that company hailed from the town where Scottwax lives.

Post Thanks / Like

The line from Classic was another consumer-grade one that wasn`t really bad.

Lonnie- While I`m only 64 (not experiencing any physical limitations yet), the New Normal Vision I`ve had since `15 does indeed make Detailing take a Whole. Lot. Longer. And I took forever before...no more "quick maintenance washes" only taking 5 hours, now I gotta commit serious time allotments.

Eh, I usually put Detailing on hold for a few years when raising a new dog anyhow, and will hopefully get back into the swing of this stuff before too long...but I do need to actually *work* at trying to make it enjoyable. Still cogitatin` on how to do that...

Post Thanks / Like

You will lose very few customers especially there ones that need paint correction. If you know you know and if they don’t it was not your customer.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as cars are made of materials that are in need of specialized cleaning/detailing there will always be a need or demand for individuals who know the ins and outs of caring for and restoring said vehicles. True detailers/entrepreneurs will adapt to a changing market. If they see on the horizon the market going from waxes to polymer sealants then to coatings they will adapt.

Now we have PPF and full wraps which means no more polishing etc BUT the smart detailers are learning to install PPF and still apply coatings to these materials.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information