Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

High dollaer cweamic installs by stand alone deatailers going to be see the hundreds of tv ads running for products under $10.

Gonna take a lot of high dollar jobs off the market. Go to any big box store and DYI. Mass market will respond.
    Last edited by Ron Ketcham; 03-26-2024 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes 65chevy, Older liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High dollaer cweamic installs by stand alone deatailers going to be see the hundreds of tv ads running for products under $10.

Excuse my spelling errors.
    Likes 65chevy, Older liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High dollaer cweamic installs by stand alone deatailers going to be see the hundreds of tv ads running for products under $10.

There will always be customers willing to have the coating installed by a detailer instead of doing it themselves. In my area, this goes for all kinds of services. People don’t want to lift a finger and do anything. And here I am getting exercise and saving some bucks by DIY
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

​There will still be a market for detailers, just will become much more limited.
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Around here I’m pretty sure very few consumers even know what a coating is. I bet the new car washes popping up around here are going to offer their version of them.
    Likes 65chevy, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Um...we`ve had cheap car products on TV for decades, British guys with lighter fluid never put detailers out of business. Be sure to order before midnight tonight.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) detailing individual understands little what true vehicle detailing involves. Even fewer are willing to make the sizable capital investment (IE, spend a lot of money) on the equipment, let alone detailing products, to properly detail a vehicle. To me, that is the biggest hindrance to any DIYer`s. Add to that the frustration when something doesn`t turn out right or more damage is done because of plain ignorance (WHAT?, I didn`t know you are not suppose to use heavy-duty chrome cleaner on clear-coated chromed rims. Yup that would be me, Captain Obvious! Live and learn....Or why are my instrument gauge plastic lens all scratched up; all I did was clean them with paper toweling and Windex. Hummmmm...).
    I also think that there is this idea that detailing is not THAT complicated, nor does it require any skill sets, like anyone can do it. And in some ways it is, but like anything, there is a right and a wrong way to do things (and, of course, there is Captain Obvious`s way!). That`s one of the beauties of this forum; it allows the average DIYer to learn about detailing products, equipment, and methodologies using and apply them to various detailing tasks on a vehicle. And yes, it takes practice and due diligence (AKA repetition and time) with a modicum of some physical abilities to master those methodologies and techniques.
    What REALLY gets me is that the newbie DYI detailer EXPECTS their first-attempts at detailing their vehicle to look like those in the Click-and-Brag section or that it should be Concourse d`Elegance ready for the local car show, and that is the frustrating part to many DIYer`s when it does not, despite their "best all-day efforts".
    I say this with tongue-in-cheek because I make it sound like DIYers should never try and that detailing IS difficult to master. Let me say this cliche: If it were easy ,EVERYONE would be doing it. How good you, whether a newbie DIYer or a seasoned professional detailer, want to be is up to you. (Too much "preaching" by me again, Gearhead_1?)

BACK to the TV commercials that are putting professional detailers out of business:
    Are those the commercials for Cerakote detailing products for under $20 that Walmart and AutoZone carry??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Around here I’m pretty sure very few consumers even know what a coating is. I bet the new car washes popping up around here are going to offer their version of them.
    Hey, that "new car wash popping up" is starting to get attention in some municipalities because there are SO many of them being built. Some municipalities are trying limit their construction because they are noisy and are close to residential areas.

We`ve got TWO Club Car Washes in the last year built or being built Green Bay metro area. This in the very backyard of the PDQ Manufacturing who make tunnel car wash headquartered in the Green By area and have 4 car wash places. Add to that that almost every gas station of any size has a tunnel wash associated with it (Kwik-Trip being the major one in the upper Midwest, and there are 14 of them in the Green Bay Metro area), and yes, there are a lot of car washes places. But then again, there are a LOT of cars on the road as well.

I suppose offering coating services is just an extension of their business.
    Some of the commercial vehicle sign painting/advertising places here in Green Bay offer vehicle Protective Plastic Wraps (PPF) services as an extension of their vinyl wrap advertising graphics.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

No one in any of the neighborhoods near me, far and wide, washes their car themselves ( not that they would know how). They all must go to one of these car washes. I had a neighbor once tell me which car wash he thinks is good. I politely told him I don’t want any marring on my paint. The look of confusion on his face in response was priceless.

He’s the same neighbor who at one point later on hired a mobile “detailer” to detail his car. Like so many of them, the techniques of this guy were hard for me to watch. I don’t think the car came out much better than how it was originally.

I’m so proud that I’m a passionate detailing enthusiast and I owe my continued improvement to these forums.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    No one in any of the neighborhoods near me, far and wide, washes their car themselves ( not that they would know how). They all must go to one of these car washes. I had a neighbor once tell me which car wash he thinks is good. I politely told him I don’t want any marring on my paint. The look of confusion on his face in response was priceless.

He’s the same neighbor who at one point later on hired a mobile “detailer” to detail his car. Like so many of them, the techniques of this guy were hard for me to watch. I don’t think the car came out much better than how it was originally.

I’m so proud that I’m a passionate detailing enthusiast and I owe my continued improvement to these forums.
    I couldn`t have said it better.

I`ve never seen another person anywhere I`ve driven in my area washing their own car, let alone doing anything more involved. The interest by the average motorist to spend any time pampering their vehicle themselves simply doesn`t exist. Car washes are sprouting up around my area like mushrooms and I`m pretty sure they outnumber gas stations at this point by a factor of 2:1. At any one of them you`ll see vehicles ranging from a barely road worthy. clapped out beater to a six-digit SUV/car. They are the great equalizer.

I`ll happily continue to do my own work and improve my skills as time goes by.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

To this point, our carwashes have not been required to use recycled water. I`m sure that day is coming. I`ve read much on how this is safely used, yeah, right.

When it`s cold, I take a 5-gallon bucket full of my stuff along with a blower and towels down to the touchless carwash to wash it. This is mainly to keep winter, salts, and whatnot off. I`ll use the handheld pressure washer to tackle most of the wash, fender wells, and wheels and then take it through the touchless drive-through. If and when they start recycling water at the one I go to, I`ll stop.

We`ve got 3 new brush-type washes within 3 miles of my home within the past year. People don`t wash their own cars anymore.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I remember as a kid, my friends parents having stuff like Auri and Liquid Lustre sitting on shelves, either used once or never. The lastest products of the day.

I`m not sure it`s any worse now, no one washed their own car back then either. Other than one friend who`s dad was pretty meticulous about his car for a few years, I never really saw people washing their own cars back then.

Somehow I`ve lucked out and had neighbors that are really into it though.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my father using blue corral on his customers cars back in the day.
    Likes Stokdgs, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Then there is this related thread on how the term "ceramic" is market-hyping ceramic sprays that are (supposedly) "just as good as a ceramic coating":
    The blatant misuse of the term “Ceramic”
    (REALLY pay attention to post #22 by Coatings=crack; his post is more-than prophetic for this thread topic!)
    GB detailer

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65chevy View Post
    I remember my father using blue corral on his customers cars back in the day.
    Yes ! I also remember Blue Coral !!!!!
    Likes 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks 65chevy thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information