Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for a Automotive Degreaser

This request for suggestions for an automotive degreaser is an extension of a Ron K.`s thread on lack of reading by end-user of detailing product and material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) as it related to knowing what chemicals are in those detailing products and how to use them safely and the necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed to do so for one`s personal safety, as the name implies.

One of my BIG pet peeves is how many so-called "automotive" degreasers are actually not very "safe" for automotive use. When I mean "Safe" I define that by saying it will not harm or discolor aluminum or other metal alloys so prevalent on today`s vehicles. Whether its aluminum rims or engine compartment fittings or suspension components, today`s vehicles use those metals to reduce weight and increase gas mileage or for special needs and their application with advancements in vehicle technology (like titanium or copper alloys). There are a host of automotive degreasers out there, but when the product able says "DO NOT ALLOW TO DWELL ON ALUMINUM WITHOUT RINSING", that kind of throws the kibosh and raises a red flag on it for my personal use for degreasing an engine or cleaning wheel wells.

I say that because I recently bought Genlabs in Chino, CA. Super Heavy-Duty Degreaser (Product Code 01724) distributed and sold by Harbor Freight Tools. It was inexpensive, and come on, if it`s sold by Harbor Freights, it`s gotta be OK. I saw some positive reviews online about it, so I bought it.
    Used it to clean my driveway after a home construction project has left clay mud EVERYWHERE from the contractor`s footsteps, which was the real reason I bought it. My other intent was to use this to clean wheel wells in fenders during my 2-bucket wash, which I did for BOTH intended purposes.
    Then I read the label after using it. RIGHT THERE on the label:
    "Do not use for daily maintenance of floors unless used in 200 to 1 dilutions. Do not use on soft metals such as aluminum, alloy, zinc, and copper." A little late on my part reading that label safety information!
    It is a good cleaner for removing grease or oil on concrete.

I have used Optimum`s Polymer Technologies Power Clean (OPT-PC) as my go-to degreaser. Works very well for me, but it is a little expensive.
    I know it is safe for aluminum IF diluted per label instructions. And yes, I have called the OPT Customer Service hotline for its verification of that.
    Which leads to my request for suggestion for other degreasers. I am looking something that is:
    1) Safe for aluminum
    2) Cost-effective (AKA inexpensive or cheap)
    3) Effective in removing grease or debris in engine compartments and wheel wells.

I will not consider using Simple Green OTC because of its well-documented effects on aluminum. It is good for cleaning stainless steel or glass coffee pots and ceramic coffee cups. And yes, I am aware of their Professional Simple Green which supposidly IS safe for use on aluminum
    Then there is SuperCleanBrand LLC`s (formerly Castrol) Super Clean OTC. Again it is not "safe for aluminum, but it is my go-to cleaner for 2-bucket wash media and polishing pads. Yes it sounds hypocritical to be using for car-care equipment items, but NOT directly for vehicles. Needless to say, they`re are well-rinsed and squeezed out of excess water before being re-used.

And , yes, I am open to suggestions for industrial degreasers that may cross-over for use in the automotive cleaning world, as long as they are safe for aluminum. You know as well as I do that there are probably a plethora of them. One that I have used is Stearn`s Packaging Jungle Jack`s Degreaser, but that too is mostly for cleaning garage floors and lawn-care tools.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions , experiences, and comments on degreasers.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for a Automotive Degreaser

I thought after all that stink about Simple Green and aluminum, they came out with a specific one that was aluminum-safe. Maybe they don`t make that anymore.

As you have noted, Optimum Power Clean (OPC) is great, but it`s kinda expensive. Best thing I`ve ever used for cleaning off synthetic motor oil, though. The other thing that has turned me off a little to OPC is the warning that the undiluted product can etch glass, which makes me kind of wary of spraying even diluted where I could get overspray on windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I thought after all that stink about Simple Green and aluminum, they came out with a specific one that was aluminum-safe. Maybe they don`t make that anymore.

As you have noted, Optimum Power Clean (OPC) is great, but it`s kinda expensive. Best thing I`ve ever used for cleaning off synthetic motor oil, though. The other thing that has turned me off a little to OPC is the warning that the undiluted product can etch glass, which makes me kind of wary of spraying even diluted where I could get overspray on windows.
    Was not aware of that etching of glass at full strength. I use it at 3:1 or 4:1.
    I have used it to clean a oil-stained carpet floor mat, but the "industrial odor" lingered for about a week, and no, the oil stain did not come out completely. The cleaning was done in the winter, so the cold temps did not help with dissipating the smell. I now use Optimum`s Fabric and Carpet Cleaner for interiors or Poorboy`s Enzyme and Stain Remover along with their Carpet & Fabric Shampoo Concentrate at 6:1 dilution (smells like coconut or pineapple; kinda pina-colada).

But back to degreaser suggestions....
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think I have used OPC on carpet--as I believe I have recounted here years ago in another thread, I had changed my oil and thrown the filter in a trash bag that went in the garbage can. Somehow when the garbage men emptied things, I had motor oil all over the garbage can, which I envisioned being an oily mess forever. Fortunately, between OPC and the brush I use for wheel wells, I was able to get the can so clean you would never know it had used motor oil all over it.

I have also had very good luck with the OPT Carpet and Fabric Cleaner (not so much with the sprayer and bottle, however).

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only used, Meguiar`s D103 APC+ at 6:1 for years, let it soak for a few minutes on a cold engine, and then pressure wash it all off..
    Never had an issue with different metals, etc., never harmed anything with it...

Looked at all the chemicals in "degreasers", and never wanted to go down that route, thank you...

When I finally run out of D103 APC+, I will try D107 Citrus Power Plus...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have only used, Meguiar`s D103 APC+ at 6:1 for years, let it soak for a few minutes on a cold engine, and then pressure wash it all off..
    Never had an issue with different metals, etc., never harmed anything with it...

Looked at all the chemicals in "degreasers", and never wanted to go down that route, thank you...

When I finally run out of D103 APC+, I will try D107 Citrus Power Plus...

Dan F
    Stokdg:
    You must have bought the 5-gallon container before it was discontinued
    Reference thread from January, 2014!!: megs D103 being discontinued

Not sure about orange degreasers, but if Meg`s came out with one, it must be OK. I think the Ready-to-Use (RTU 32-ounce spray bottle) of their D107 Citrus Power Plus Cleaner was introduced first as a test of its marketability and now I THINK it is available in the "normal" Pro-Detailer line gallon jugs. Not sure it is a "replacement" for D103+.

I do see that 3D has a degreaser: Super Duty Degreaser Product Code: 1001OZ64
    (I could not find it on the Autopia Store website. It looks like they are discontinuing that manufacturer`s line!)

And what about Meg`s Pro-Detailer Line D108 Super Degreaser??
    (NO, that is not sold by the Autopia store, either)

Then there is this degreaser: Scheaffer Citrol 266-1 in the Gallon
    Reference:Schaeffer's Citrol 266-1 gallon Multi-purpose Degreaser & Cleaner - Ci – Heintz Sales
    It is like Goo-Gone on steroids and priced accordingly!
    This was recommended by a gentleman who owns a heavy-equipment & excavating company for use on his machinery.

Former Forum All-Star Chemist togwt recommendeds P21S Total Auto Wash (PS-TAW) with its d-limonene base as a pretty good cleaner.
    Reference: Anyone not have Wheel Acid in their arsenal?
    Yes, the referenced thread is about acid wheel cleaners, but see Post #29
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Former Forum All-Star Chemist togwt
    Chemist????? That guy was nothing but a cut-and-paste artist, no chemist.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not a chemist. I think he used to identify as an architect
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

And as we know, George Costanza always wanted to pretend to be an architect, not a marine biologist...or a chemist.

George Tells The Beached Whale Story | The Marine Biologist | Seinfeld - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn`t surprise me if it was really all just a big fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    It wouldn`t surprise me if it was really all just a big fantasy
    Well, who knows:

Jon Miller | Facebook

https://www.amazon.com/stores/author...0-28bbf5bbe36c

Just a moment...

Post Thanks / Like

It’s interesting that he made it a point that all of *his* material is copyrighted

Post Thanks / Like

So what you long-time Autopians are telling me is togwt was/is the equivalent to being the "George Santos"of this forum. (an antonomasia example!)

(Maybe we need to pin ANOTHER title on you Captain Obvious; Captain Gullible!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Lonnie--you`re a longer-time Autopian than either Bill D or I, and I had to look up antonomasia, so I`m refusing to answer and invoking my Fifth Amendment rights.

Post Thanks / Like

TOGWT`s intentions of spreading detailing knowledge were respectable but back in the day his cutting and pasting that information from other sources without referencing them concerned the staff. There was the thought that Autopia could get in some type of "trouble" if they let him continue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information