This request for suggestions for an automotive degreaser is an extension of a Ron K.`s thread on lack of reading by end-user of detailing product and material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) as it related to knowing what chemicals are in those detailing products and how to use them safely and the necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed to do so for one`s personal safety, as the name implies.

One of my BIG pet peeves is how many so-called "automotive" degreasers are actually not very "safe" for automotive use. When I mean "Safe" I define that by saying it will not harm or discolor aluminum or other metal alloys so prevalent on today`s vehicles. Whether its aluminum rims or engine compartment fittings or suspension components, today`s vehicles use those metals to reduce weight and increase gas mileage or for special needs and their application with advancements in vehicle technology (like titanium or copper alloys). There are a host of automotive degreasers out there, but when the product able says "DO NOT ALLOW TO DWELL ON ALUMINUM WITHOUT RINSING", that kind of throws the kibosh and raises a red flag on it for my personal use for degreasing an engine or cleaning wheel wells.

I say that because I recently bought Genlabs in Chino, CA. Super Heavy-Duty Degreaser (Product Code 01724) distributed and sold by Harbor Freight Tools. It was inexpensive, and come on, if it`s sold by Harbor Freights, it`s gotta be OK. I saw some positive reviews online about it, so I bought it.
Used it to clean my driveway after a home construction project has left clay mud EVERYWHERE from the contractor`s footsteps, which was the real reason I bought it. My other intent was to use this to clean wheel wells in fenders during my 2-bucket wash, which I did for BOTH intended purposes.
Then I read the label after using it. RIGHT THERE on the label:
"Do not use for daily maintenance of floors unless used in 200 to 1 dilutions. Do not use on soft metals such as aluminum, alloy, zinc, and copper." A little late on my part reading that label safety information!
It is a good cleaner for removing grease or oil on concrete.

I have used Optimum`s Polymer Technologies Power Clean (OPT-PC) as my go-to degreaser. Works very well for me, but it is a little expensive.
I know it is safe for aluminum IF diluted per label instructions. And yes, I have called the OPT Customer Service hotline for its verification of that.
Which leads to my request for suggestion for other degreasers. I am looking something that is:
1) Safe for aluminum
2) Cost-effective (AKA inexpensive or cheap)
3) Effective in removing grease or debris in engine compartments and wheel wells.

I will not consider using Simple Green OTC because of its well-documented effects on aluminum. It is good for cleaning stainless steel or glass coffee pots and ceramic coffee cups. And yes, I am aware of their Professional Simple Green which supposidly IS safe for use on aluminum
Then there is SuperCleanBrand LLC`s (formerly Castrol) Super Clean OTC. Again it is not "safe for aluminum, but it is my go-to cleaner for 2-bucket wash media and polishing pads. Yes it sounds hypocritical to be using for car-care equipment items, but NOT directly for vehicles. Needless to say, they`re are well-rinsed and squeezed out of excess water before being re-used.

And , yes, I am open to suggestions for industrial degreasers that may cross-over for use in the automotive cleaning world, as long as they are safe for aluminum. You know as well as I do that there are probably a plethora of them. One that I have used is Stearn`s Packaging Jungle Jack`s Degreaser, but that too is mostly for cleaning garage floors and lawn-care tools.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions , experiences, and comments on degreasers.