Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for a Automotive Degreaser

Keep in mind, water borne products have a high ph, which may be corrosive when used on paint, aluminum, most metals, so check the ph when using. Mineral spirits do not rely on corrosive components to desolve/break down hydrocarbon deposits.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes Older liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Keep in mind, water borne products have a high ph, which may be corrosive when used on paint, aluminum, most metals, so check the ph when using. Mineral spirits do not rely on corrosive components to desolve/break down hydrocarbon deposits.
    OK Ron, that is a good point,
    Trying define what is a "degreaser" and what is a "solvent" we run into the semantics that they both remove grease and may inadvertently be use interchangeably, when they really have unique characteristics or properties that make them a "degreaser" or a "solvent".
    Suffice it to say, MY definition of a degreaser is something you mix or dilute with water for use in removing oil or grease.
    Solvents are organic-based liquids that do not require ADDED water for their use to dissolve or remove oil and grease.
    And there in lies the semantics with this definition because solvents CAN and many times DO contain water in their liquid formulations for use; it`s just that the end-user does not add it to the product. Aerosol cans of "degreasers" end up in this grey-area of terminology and completely defy and negate my above definitions, hence the interchangeable semantics.
    I assume mineral spirits do not have water in them, much like acetone or kerosene that can be used for grease removal. Turpentine and d-limonene are naturally-derived solvents that may contain water initially, but that water (or some of that water) is removed during the distillation process of production of it concentrate liquid form bought and used by the end consumer.
    One reason I am NOT tempted to use solvents within an engine compartment is stronger solvents may soften or dissolve certain plastics so common in an engine bay. Again I go back to your admonition about reading product labels and MSDS information. Digression from that information is my personal rul for its use.

Then we get into the "Ph" terminology of caustic (low ph value or base of less than 7) and acidic (High PH value or acid greater than 7). So the question becomes, "What is a good and safe ph value for a degreaser?". Too mild, and it will not remove the grease. Too caustic or acidic and it will harm softer metals, like aluminum or copper. Just wondering, because I do not know to give a credible recommendation for it`s value and, hence, a degreasing product that has or is close to that value when diluted with water in the manufacturer`s recommended ratios. I assume that the manufacturer has tested and analysed the ph values with different dilution ratios and these are listed/published in the MSDS for the end-used to know.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Simple Green Pro HD is the supposedly aluminum-safe version and it`s still available at Lowes, HD etc. Personally, I don`t like it as much as the original green SG. I`ve scrubbed a bunch of engine bays with the green SG and never had any issues with aluminum valve covers, or intakes, but I always dilute it 1:4 and never leave it on long before it`s thoroughly rinsed. The gallon I have of the Pro HD will be my last, as I`m going back to the Green for my next gallon.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses, fellow Autopians.

Quite honestly, I thought there would have been a "few" more responses of experiences with and opinions of specific degreasers, but it may be be that:
    1) It is not a high-priority detailing product to discuss
    2) There are not a lot of members viewing this thread topic, hence, fewer comments
    3) Many are just bored of your "Suggestions For" thread topics, Captain Obvious.
    GB detailer

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Thanks for your responses, fellow Autopians.

Quite honestly, I thought there would have been a "few" more responses of experiences with and opinions of specific degreasers, but it may be be that:
    1) It is not a high-priority detailing product to discuss
    2) There are not a lot of members viewing this thread topic, hence, fewer comments
    3) Many are just bored of your "Suggestions For" thread topics, Captain Obvious.
    sorry don`t get out as much as I used to .. you did`t mention our APC .. basically it`s what you are asking for ... at full strength it`s a degreaser, I`ve also used it for removing nasty northeast pine sap as a wash, and diluted can be safely used on leather seats .. it starts at about a ph of 16 and at about 15 :1 is neutral ..128:1 can be used as a glass cleaner .. would I take a bath in it .. depends what`s on me but at worst it stings open wounds yes, Enzyme and Carpet are a killer pair
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes 65chevy, Lonnie, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy Steve!
    Likes Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, it’s really great hearing from Steve!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes 65chevy, Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Hey, it’s really great hearing from Steve!
    Thanks .. They let me out of my cage every once in a while

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Poorboy Steve!
    Still kicking and buffeting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    Still kicking and buffeting
    If I understood that right, you have an excellent memory...or were reading threads over on AGO.

Hopefully Lonnie will take your advice and try your APC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If I understood that right, you have an excellent memory...or were reading threads over on AGO.

Hopefully Lonnie will take your advice and try your APC.
    Not sure I will buy and use the APC, but based on my personal experience of excellent results using Poorboy`s Bug Squash for removing baked-on bug splatter during exterior washes and their Enzyme & Stain Remover and the Carpet -&-Fabric Cleaner Concentrate on interior fabrics and carpets, it SHOULD be a front-runner as an alternative product to OPT`s Power Clean
    Like the proverbial saying goes, "You wouldn`t know until you try it."

As stated above, it seems that The Autopia Store is dropping the Poorboy`s line, and my recourse is to buy it direct from Poorboy`s World. I am sure Steve (Poorboy) would appreciate that!! After all he IS an Autopian contributor, even if it is "occasionally", nor is he "biased" about his products; all he is doing is informing us Autopians about them. OK maybe he is trying to sell us on them, but hey, it IS the company he works for.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Not sure I will buy and use the APC, but based on my personal experience of excellent results using Poorboy`s Bug Squash for removing baked-on bug splatter during exterior washes and their Enzyme & Stain Remover and the Carpet -&-Fabric Cleaner Concentrate on interior fabrics and carpets, it SHOULD be a front-runner as an alternative product to OPT`s Power Clean
    Like the proverbial saying goes, "You wouldn`t know until you try it."

As stated above, it seems that The Autopia Store is dropping the Poorboy`s line, and my recourse is to buy it direct from Poorboy`s World. I am sure Steve (Poorboy) would appreciate that!! After all he IS an Autopian contributor, even if it is "occasionally", nor is he "biased" about his products; all he is doing is informing us Autopians about them. OK maybe he is trying to sell us on them, but hey, it IS the company he works for.

Much appreciated .. and yes i can only give you my take on my products .. no comparisons If I could count all the hours here, it would probably be years ..lol

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my Poorboys products through Amazon and I use them all the time. Though not exclusive they are pretty much my "go-to" products. I even wore their T-shirts for years but I`ve worn all those out, nice Gildan T`s.

Their products have been top-notch with the value equation (cost/performance) being high. I buy several of my frequent-use Poorblys products in gallons.

Poorboys is one of those product lines where you can find a product for virtually any detailing need but you don`t need to wade through the product minutia like you would at CG`s. I`m often asked by serious enthusiasts/car guys what I use, or for a product line to meet all of their detailing needs, it`s the only one I recommend. I`m surprised at how many just want a single line they can count on.

Amazon has without question always been a quicker way for me to receive the product than Autopia or AG.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

3D orange degreaser is nice and cheap. 1:1 its potent. 1:3 it works on most things for heavy cleaning.

More expensive stuff would be bilt hamber surfex and koch chemie greenstar.

No chemist but an APC and degreaser are one and the same from my research but a "degreaser" is usually a solution that is more concentrated.

Correct me if i`m wrong, it won`t be the first or last time.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information