Thread: Primer Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Primer Polishes

I kind of fell off the coating bandwagon some years ago when what I guess was the first consumer coating, Opti-Coat 2.0, was replaced by Gloss Coat, which was an inferior hybrid coating (as opposed to OC 2.0 which was a SiC coating, a more diluted version of the Opti-Coat Pro of the day). Anyway, I have been thinking about maybe trying one of the newer coatings, and was intrigued by a comment here or at AGO about using Dr. Beasley`s primer polish, which doesn`t require a panel wipe after using.

So looking into this, I see that not only Dr. Beasley, but Labocosmetica (Fiero) and Gyeon have primer polishes, and there are perhaps others. I saw The Guz/Mike G`s review of the Dr. Beasley (including the glass polish), which he stated won`t stain trim. Has anyone used the others and know if they stain trim?

Also, the reviews I was looking at for all 3 that I mentioned seem to say they were all compatible with any coating. Is that the consensus? Being that I really have had no gumption for detailing lately, it sure seems attractive to be able to primer polish without having to mask anything and then go right to coating.

Optimum/Yvan used to say that Hyper Polish was the Optimum primer polish (apparently for the pro applicators they labeled the Hyper as Primer--if I understood that correctly), but I believe you still had to panel wipe before coating.
    Likes 65chevy, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Primer Polishes

Fiero would be my choice. It acts like a normal polish as opposed to the Dr. Beasley`s stuff, they recommend at lot of passes with very little product and it can even haze up.

One bonus about Dr. Beasley`s however is you can get more aggressive primer polishes. I did read they were tweaking the NSP line to make it more user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the Fiero stain trim? I know most people just mask (and therefore don`t know), but when Guz had that video polishing a windshield (Dr. Beasley`s glass primer polish) with no trim masking, it was pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know. It was never an issue for me frankly with what i`ve used/done. I just avoid the trim. I have taped up some parts with painters tape in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any advantage to using a primer coating other than not having to do a wipe down?

I`ve never used one, but haven`t seen any coating durability issues either. I like being able to use any cut of polish as needed and the wipe down with Eraser isn`t a big deal to me in cost or time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is there any advantage to using a primer coating other than not having to do a wipe down?
    I guess the purpose of the Labo and Gyeon primers is for really soft paint, to minimize the amount of wiping between polishing and coating. They also all seem to say that the primer promotes the adhesion of a coating (which is the definition of a primer, no?) I guess they say the same thing about Essence, and interestingly say the same thing as the Gyeon, that if you wait 24 hours you don`t need to panel wipe, but if you coat before then you do.

For me it`s just a motivational thing, if I don`t have to worry about taping and worrying if I did a good enough panel wipe, then I`m more likely to actually do it. BTW your comments about Mohs EVO were what got me thinking about doing this at all.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found a little 2oz bottle of Opti-Coat Primer Polish that I never used.. It shakes up to light blue-gray color...
    Here is where all my zillion hours with Zaino polish, etc., comes back to me------- really t h i n coats, if I ever use it...

It looks like the same color as the old Optimum Finish product, that I really liked and used a lot of, before they stopped selling it...

I also, got into Optimum when it first came out, a long time ago..
    Loved that they were located in the US (Memphis, Tenn.), and that they did a lot of real world testing...

My first Optimum coating was their first called Opti-Guard, and it lasted almost 5 years on my black Grand Cherokee, that I drove about 30k miles back and forth to Texas and back, to CA...

Applied a lot of 2.0 on Client`s vehicles and never had a complaint, etc., at all...

Loved that they sold it in a pretty airtight syringe, so dispersing it was extra precise....
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs, I was also disappointed that Optimum stopped making the Finish, as well as the creme polishes in general. I hoarded a bunch of OC 2.0, thinking it would last a long time, I even squeezed more air out of the syringes when I got them. Unfortunately they all gelled up within a couple years.

Speaking of that--Essence and Essence+ (and like every other CarPro product, including EcH20) has expiration dates--do Fiero, Gyeon Primer, and the Dr. Beasley NSP`s have expiration dates? Does anyone pay attention to that?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy --
    Tks for your reply !

I still have an old, full bottle of Finish, and I hope it still works when I need it again...
    Perhaps, things that "gel up", etc., just might need a little distilled, water or something???
    Perhaps, that is what would dry up faster than any of the other things inside ???

Yes, I know you are talking about coatings... My old Optimum coatings are not gelled up yet...If I get one that does that, and it has not hardened up too bad, perhaps, I might put a little water in there and see if I can get it to come back...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    BTW your comments about Mohs EVO were what got me thinking about doing this at all.
    Ooof! Preasure is on. I hope it all works out for you as well as it did for me!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Ooof! Pressure is on. I hope it all works out for you as well as it did for me!
    Don`t sweat it, man, you`re a good guy and besides, I tend to think about doing a lot more things than I wind up doing--so then you`d be off the hook!. Today I am thinking about the Dr. B`s Z1, which would be the ultimate non-motivated man`s way out. $5 flat rate shipping! Of course yesterday I was looking at my expired bottles of Essence and Essence+....

Thread Information