Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Products? Turtle Wax? Other?

I am trying to get back at some vehicle stuff and have been gone for a 4 years or so. I will keep my questions pretty simple and straight forward.

Back then I used Meguiars UP and UW and had "decent" success, often would keep topped with Optimum Car Wax/Megs Fast Finish or Turtle Seal&Shine (or something like that)

Now I need to purchase some new products but WOWSERS has some names changed and in doing some reading I don`t see a definitive 2 or 3.

SO...

Is Optimum Products a line I can go to for their polish?

The reason I ask about Optimum is I always liked ONR and the car wax was easy to use.

If I don`t go to Optimum I see there is a Turtle Wax 1&Done product, good/bad/otherwise?

This doesn`t need to turn into an "everyone`s favorite" post, I am looking for user friendly and if anyone has a nice easy polish I would love to know about it.

Bonus if you have a wax/sealant whatever that looks good on black

In the future I can see more questions on products as I encounter them.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Products? Turtle Wax? Other?

Optimum makes great stuff but TW has really upped their game right before the pandemic started. Their basic spray ceramic products are awesome. OCW was no slouch but I`m getting double the durability with TW Ceramic.

The hype train also never slowed down, in fact around that same time probably picked up speed and dozens of new brands popped out of nowhere. The money they spent on R&D was nothing compared to money they spent on influencers and ads. So now you have an army of people talking about how amazing a product is without having tried anything else. Beadmaker is the poster child for that movement.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue with using TW products and in some of the reading I have done there are certainly foljs that like them. Is it safe to assume their priducts are more "last step"?

What are you all using for a polish?

If it matters the vehicles are a 2019 F150 black and a 2022 Explorer also black. Yes I hate myself for doing this as I had gotten rid of black vehicles a numver of years ago amd withing 6 months had 2 again.

Thanks

KM

Post Thanks / Like

I was personally disappointed that Optimum discontinued the lotion/creme polishes, and only have the spray (Hyper) polishes now. The sprayers tend to break, and I dislike the smell of the solvent used for the spray polishes. However, they are a nice polish line, they have a long work time. I don`t think I have used the latest versions of any of them since they have reformulated them several times and I`m still on my original bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screeby View Post
    I have no issue with using TW products and in some of the reading I have done there are certainly foljs that like them. Is it safe to assume their priducts are more "last step"?

What are you all using for a polish?

If it matters the vehicles are a 2019 F150 black and a 2022 Explorer also black. Yes I hate myself for doing this as I had gotten rid of black vehicles a numver of years ago amd withing 6 months had 2 again.

Thanks

KM
    I use (almost) nothing but Turtle Wax these days, the 1&Done is a heavier compound that FINISHES awesome! EVEN on black (my Camaro). I`m even running a YouTube Channel showcasing my work with Turtle Wax

Detailing Basics - Keeping it simple - YouTube
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So folks are going with compounds these days?

I always followed a compound with a polish. Otherwose isnt it just quicker to jump to an AIO?

KM

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

So folks are going with compounds these days?

I always followed a compound with a polish. Otherwose isnt it just quicker to jump to an AIO?

KM
    No, I only use compounds if needed for correction, that polishes alone cannot remove... I always follow any compound with a much finer polish...
    Never liked AIO for anything unless the Client insisted on it.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

So what are you using for polish today if a customer or family memeber is having some work done by you?

Tye biggest thing I am trying to nail down is a polish that has proven results. I understand UP has been around for a while, there is probably better out there now.

Looking for a tested and successful polish I can go over voth vehicles with before winter.

KM

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    No, I only use compounds if needed for correction, that polishes alone cannot remove... I always follow any compound with a much finer polish...
    Never liked AIO for anything unless the Client insisted on it.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

So what are you using for polish today if a customer or family memeber is having some work done by you?

Tye biggest thing I am trying to nail down is a polish that has proven results. I understand UP has been around for a while, there is probably better out there now.

Looking for a tested and successful polish I can go over voth vehicles with before winter.

KM
    Like I mentioned, the 1&Done with a LIGHT polishing pad has worked great (in every case "I`ve" used it) and does work as a LIGHT polish, when paired with a light-cut pad. Even on my very glossy, BLACK Camaro. Which SHOWS EVERYTHING.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I understand UP has been around for a while, there is probably better out there now.

Looking for a tested and successful polish I can go over both vehicles with before winter.
    Products in general are much better than when I came here almost 20 years ago. If UP works for you, there`s nothing wrong with that. If you`re just looking for a cleanup polish before winter, Optimum Hyper Polish will be fine, I`m just not sure that would be my first choice, just because of the spray bottle (myself and others frequently transfer into a squeeze bottle). People like the Griot`s and Sonax polishes, also, and if you want an AIO, people seem to like 3D Speed. I think it`s hard to go wrong with any of these.

I think some of us have been trying to understand whether you have actual marring you are trying to remove, or whether as I said, this is just a "polish-before-LSP for winter" exercise. Some of this is also going to be dependent on your pad and machine.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a clean up & protect before winter job. I am in no position time wise for anything crazy on two vehicles with my current situation.

I would like to go with a polish amd the Explorer is actually not in terrible shape. The F150 is trashed to be honest. My abilities are not able to fix more then half of what it would need to be a garage queen, I knkw enough to know that.

A polish with a simple LSP is where i am at. I can maintain through the winter with spray waxes and the sort to get me by.

I havent been active here in this forum for quite a while or with detailing in general to be honest. I am going to use my HF da and LC pads. I am sure this equipment is probably looked down on but for this I think it will work. A complete over haul of my tools and supplies is probably next in the winter months.

Thanks again for all replies.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

This is a clean up & protect before winter job. I am in no position time wise for anything crazy on two vehicles with my current situation.

I would like to go with a polish amd the Explorer is actually not in terrible shape. The F150 is trashed to be honest. My abilities are not able to fix more then half of what it would need to be a garage queen, I knkw enough to know that.

A polish with a simple LSP is where i am at. I can maintain through the winter with spray waxes and the sort to get me by.

I havent been active here in this forum for quite a while or with detailing in general to be honest. I am going to use my HF da and LC pads. I am sure this equipment is probably looked down on but for this I think it will work. A complete over haul of my tools and supplies is probably next in the winter months.

Thanks again for all replies.

KM
    Nothing wrong with a HF orbital, I classify it as pretty equal to my (very basic) Porter Cable 7424 (NON-XP), which has served me VERY WELL for 22 years. As long as you understand that an AIO (on it`s own) will not polish or protect as well as a separate compound/polish and a dedicated sealant, and maintain it with a good spray wax, it should get you fairly well through the winter. More than enough time to plan for your "Spring Cleanup" detailing.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

KM
    KM -
    I have always had great success with Optimum Hyper-Polish, and my Rotary with appropriate Lake Country 5" pads..

The key to getting any correction period, is always going to be = Pad Rotation...
    The more Pad Rotation, the faster and better the correction/polish, etc., in my experiences..

I always transfer Optimum Hyper-Polish out of their awful bottle sprayer and just put it in a plastic bottle with the usual tapered plastic tip on the end..
    Shake it well before use and occasionally, during use...

If you are not using a Rotary, I would want the machine set at the speed that will give you the most - Pad Rotation...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Well I apperciate the answers you have given to me. I will probably panick amd just order the Optimum and the TW and do one on each vehicle. Who knows, maybe finish the vehicle with the matching LSP and see which ones stands up better.

Thank you again, it does help.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Products? Turtle Wax? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Optimum makes great stuff but TW has really upped their game right before the pandemic started. Their basic spray ceramic products are awesome. OCW was no slouch but I`m getting double the durability with TW Ceramic.

The hype train also never slowed down, in fact around that same time probably picked up speed and dozens of new brands popped out of nowhere. The money they spent on R&D was nothing compared to money they spent on influencers and ads. So now you have an army of people talking about how amazing a product is without having tried anything else. Beadmaker is the poster child for that movement.
    Did you see TurtleWax’s launch? Literally sent product and flew in every influencer of note. Jimbo was their main guy.

Once they saw what influencers did for SNS they were all in…

If looking for compound and polish Griots Correcting creams are amazing. The have a ceramic AIO but I have not tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information