Post Thanks / Like

Question Best coating to boost silver / grey metallic colors

Hello, long time member here but it`s been quite a few years since I was involved in detailing. I`m purchasing a 981 Boxster S in Agate Grey and am looking for recommendations on a coating that will bring out the most brilliance and pop. The color has some silver tones that I`d like to boost if that makes sense. Something that will "lighten" instead of darken the appearance.

Thanks!

Here`s the color:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 8.09.23 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 8.09.38 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 8.15.07 AM.jpg
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best coating to boost silver / grey metallic colors

Nice car.

I`m not really sure about your question however lol i think gyeon mohs is supposed to be good on white of the big brands i guess lol So many coating companies now its pretty wild.

Maybe The Guz or someone will chime in.

I assume your aware polishing is were you can make more of a boost.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car! Of course I may be a bit biased Best coating to boost silver / grey metallic colors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m interested too. I haven`t found any coating or ceramic topper that has the pop of old school sealants. Z2 will get comments from random people as it makes silver almost look like liquid metal. FK1000P and DG105 are also excellent. Honorable mention goes to Optiseal. None perform like a coating but if looks are what you are after....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Nice car! Of course I may be a bit biased Best coating to boost silver / grey metallic colors

Nice! How do you like the Agate Grey?

Post Thanks / Like

Best coating to boost silver / grey metallic colors

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post
    Nice! How do you like the Agate Grey?
    Love it; looks great and stays nicely clean w little effort. Awesome cars; fun, quick, comfortable, easy to wash & with very little vertical panels on the back end, rain/water flows off nicely which helps keep it acceptably clean.

Winner all the way around; it’s my daily driver year round!

Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Love it; looks great and stays nicely clean w little effort. Awesome cars; fun, quick, comfortable, easy to wash & with very little vertical panels on the back end, rain/water flows off nicely which helps keep it acceptably clean.

Winner all the way around; it’s my daily driver year round!

That`s good to hear. How`s the clearcoat on the hardness scale? Do you have any product recommendations that have worked well for you, polishes, coatings, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Nice car.

I`m not really sure about your question however lol i think gyeon mohs is supposed to be good on white of the big brands i guess lol So many coating companies now its pretty wild.

Maybe The Guz or someone will chime in.

I assume your aware polishing is were you can make more of a boost.
    I found Gyeon Mohs EVO is very reflective which makes it great on white. Gyeon Pure EVO provides a deeper candy-coated look that I found to be pretty spectacular on my medium blue pearl car.

Gray will be a hard color, you could go either way with the Gyeon products. I used CQUK 3.0 on my daughters gray metallic Mazda3 it looked really good once polished out and coated...as another data point.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post
    That`s good to hear. How`s the clearcoat on the hardness scale? Do you have any product recommendations that have worked well for you, polishes, coatings, etc?
    To be honest, can`t really remember how hard/soft the paint was. Really doesn`t concern me much as I`ll generally start in the same place with Sonax Perfect Finish & yellow Rupes pad and adjust from there if it doesn`t do what I want. When I first got the Cayman in September of 2019, I polished/coated myself (and had a bit of ignorance-induced polishing misadventure ) Details & pics on the process here: Cayman Detail

After a year or so (I was driving it about 12k miles a year, mostly freeway) I decided to have the paint touched up and went full XPEL PPF with Kamikaze Zipang on top of the PPF. Really overkill w/ regards to the coating but "The heart wants what the heart wants..." More details on that adventure here: 2016 Porsche Cayman S – Partial Respray, PPF and more | Life`s tough, wear a helmet.
    When it came outta PPF/coating I maintained it for a year with POLISHANGEL High Gloss Spritz...was nicely reflective on top of the somewhat candy-gloss of Zipang. For the past year I`ve been maintaining it with Kamikaze Over Coat 5.x, maybe every 2 months or so after a wash. It stays pleasingly glossy w little effort and with access to CR SPotless water, a wash often is a foam/soak/pressure rinse and drive home affair; about 10 minutes of actual labor. The car stays clean enough that it makes me smile when I see it in the garage, on the way to work when the sun reflects off of the front fenders as seen through the windshield and the rear `hips` as seen through the sideview mirror.

Do I see a difference between maintaining it with the PA High Gloss or the Kami Over Coat? Not really I guess; if I stared at it enough maybe I could `imagine` a difference with the extra TiO2 in the High Gloss but we`re really grasping at straws in that circumstance and the Kam OC is so much more `functionally relevant` that even if someone put one of those silly gloss meters on it (what is a `gloss unit` anyway?) and saw a difference, it wouldn`t convince me of anything substantial.

Enjoy the Boxster! Soon after I got the Cayman I tried to convince my wife to dump her Corvette for a Boxster; we found one in Illinois that was identical in options & specs to my Cayman (Agate Grey Metallic too) but alas, she likes that silly Chevy with a V8. :ack:

Thread Information