Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat Hyper Seal

I wanted to like this product and gave it multiple chances. Durability is terrible and so are the hydrophobics. The only positive things I can say about it is it goes on nice, is slick and looks good. Everything else is terrible.

P&S Defender Vs Opti Coat Hyper Seal!! Ceramic Paint Protection Durability Test - YouTube
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Coat Hyper Seal

You have used the product yourself? The original version or the new version? I can`t remember if they are up to a third version now. I used V.2 on a friend`s car back in December and I had a horrible time with it. I thought it would apply like a coating, so I used a coating applicator to spread it out after spraying, but it wouldn`t spread to a thin layer, so I waited for it to flash so I could wipe off the high spots, and it was like glue. It was about 60F, but the car may have been colder from being outside, although it had plenty of time to warm up while I was washing it.

Apparently you`re supposed to towel it on and wipe it off, like a spray wax. Perhaps it was my ineptitude with using a spray coating that was the problem. I honestly don`t know how it looked or held up, I spent a lot of time trying to get the windows unsmeared (I applied it to everything), I just went away with my tail between my legs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You have used the product yourself? The original version or the new version? I can`t remember if they are up to a third version now. I used V.2 on a friend`s car back in December and I had a horrible time with it. I thought it would apply like a coating, so I used a coating applicator to spread it out after spraying, but it wouldn`t spread to a thin layer, so I waited for it to flash so I could wipe off the high spots, and it was like glue. It was about 60F, but the car may have been colder from being outside, although it had plenty of time to warm up while I was washing it.

Apparently you`re supposed to towel it on and wipe it off, like a spray wax. Perhaps it was my ineptitude with using a spray coating that was the problem. I honestly don`t know how it looked or held up, I spent a lot of time trying to get the windows unsmeared (I applied it to everything), I just went away with my tail between my legs.
    I used the latest version as a stand-alone. I don`t like it when guys use it as a topper then rate it. You can`t tell how good a product is by putting it on top of a coating.

By itself it went on easy and looked good. Durability was horrible as were the hydrophobics. Water was so flat. The guy in the video above tested the new and older versions and got the same results I did. It was stated to be good for a year as a stand-alone. Makes me really question who comes up with these numbers. I get that they`re all somewhat subjective but this is way off the mark. You`re looking at weeks at best.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used some Optimum products, since they were first invented and sold online..

I have no experience with Hyper-Seal. Seal = Sealant ?

Have lots of years of experience with Opti-Seal..

Yes, it is supposed to be older technology, blah, blah, blah, and that`s fine..

I get great results with it on my just washed, coated, y e a r s ago vehicles, and it works great..

Wash with CarPro Reset only; when I rinse, it all falls off the vehicle really fast. Dry with Master Blaster, apply a thin coat of Opti-Seal, and it`s easy, and looks great..

My past experiences Before, CarPro Reset, sounds a lot like what is happening to some of you..

I looked up Hyper-Seal on the Optimum website.. Looks like it must be another "improved" version of what Opti-Seal is today; I don`t know...

What I DO know is that my process never has any issues, like what I read here with Hyper-Seal...

Did anyone contact Optimum and ask THEM, about their Hyper-Seal and the issues it gives you ???

Lastly, when we post our experiences up here, perhaps it would be better to, first, tell us what the Existing condition of the vehicle paint is NOW, before you used the product/s, so we can have a better understanding of what happened - what do you think???

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs, before I used the Hyper Seal I did go to the Optimum forum and look for tips, they have a lot of subforums there, but none for Hyper Seal. So I figured it would be like a fancier Opti-Seal, which is you spray it on (or spray on an applicator), level it out real thin, wait for it to flash, and then take off any high spots (which is really how you apply a coating). But as I noted, Hyper Seal wouldn`t spread out thin, it wanted to stay thick, and was very staticky (I was using an Optimum coating applicator that I had bought with the Hyper Seal and had never used before). After a while when it didn`t flash, I figured I`d better wipe, and it was a gooey, smeary mess, especially noticeable on the windows where I had to try to actually remove it (polish it off) in order to make sure there was safe visibility.

Afterward I posted at the Optimum Forum, and the response there was that I should have sprayed, wiped on, and wiped off. They also felt the temperature could have had something to do with it.

All of this kind of reminds me of Ron`s experience with CarPro Reload, which is a similar product, conceptually.

As far as Hyper Seal being an "improved" version of Opti-Seal, the Hyper Seal is part of the Opti-Coat line of maintenance products, so it`s the equivalent of Opti-Seal for that line, initially a "ceramic" vs. Opti-Seal not. In the meantime they have added a ceramic component to Opti-Seal, hopefully they didn`t screw up Opti-Seal, because that`s always been a product (type, WOWA sealants) that I`ve said if I was starting over in detailing, I would forget all my other products and just use that on everything (glass, chrome, trim, paint).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried all methods of applying the New Hyper-Seal: wipe on, wipe off, let it rainbow, then wipe. It`s stated to be good for up to one year as a stand alone. You`re likely not going to get more than a month out of it. The water behavior is terrible too. I understand that beading is not always ideal, but the stronger beading products due offer some advantages in that it makes drying the car very easy with air, or even flooding the panel with a hose to dry. I don`t want products that are going to leave water on the surface.

Hyper-Seal may be better as a topper than stand-alone product. The problem with toppers is you don`t know when they are gone or not and how well they actually bond to the underlying coating. A better test of durability is using it as a stand-alone product.

I suspect that it was formulated intentionally for maximum value and volume. Meaning it`s pretty diluted with very low solids content.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIt View Post
    I suspect that it was formulated intentionally for maximum value and volume. Meaning it`s pretty diluted with very low solids content.
    I don`t know, that`s a pretty provocative statement. Historically, Dr. G`s consumer coatings (Opti-Coat 2.0, Gloss-Coat) have been criticized for "clogging" and not maintaining their beading performance. I believe some of the pro detailers also complained about earlier versions of Opti-Coat Pro (not sure about the current multi-layer versions). Heck, even Optimum disciple Anthony Orosco who has been posting here lately stopped installing Optimum coatings, apparently.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t know, that`s a pretty provocative statement. Historically, Dr. G`s consumer coatings (Opti-Coat 2.0, Gloss-Coat) have been criticized for "clogging" and not maintaining their beading performance. I believe some of the pro detailers also complained about earlier versions of Opti-Coat Pro (not sure about the current multi-layer versions). Heck, even Optimum disciple Anthony Orosco who has been posting here lately stopped installing Optimum coatings, apparently.
    Like any company they have some good and not so good products. I`ve heard Dr. G in the past talk about how far and how many cars a single bottle of Opti Seal will cover. My thinking was it`s just a low solids topper meant to add some light protection. And it appears that`s all it really does. When it was introduced on the OPT FB group by one of the OPT reps it was presented as a product that could be used as a stand-alone and would last up to a year. Unfortunately this is a product that will only last weeks at best. If you like the looks and ease of application I suppose it may be worth it to you.

For me the durability and hydrophobics were so poor I moved on from it. You could apply Can Coat for the same price and get a solid 1 to 1.5 years out of it.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Thread Information