Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Blast from the past…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blast from the past…

Ok, just don`t start the Zaino wars again, or become a Zaino Zealot. They don`t actually have anything new there, do they? They took down the "what`s new" page from the website a few years ago since the last update was 2007 or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ok, just don`t start the Zaino wars again, or become a Zaino Zealot. They don`t actually have anything new there, do they? They took down the "what`s new" page from the website a few years ago since the last update was 2007 or something.
    Nah, nothing new although I really didn’t look much. Just wanted Leather In A Bottle for the scent, kinda a nostalgia purchase for fun for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought it would be fun to purchase a former heavyweight in the industry, and give them a rebranding, few new blends, and a modern marketing touch.

Zaino would be great for this.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    I always thought it would be fun to purchase a former heavyweight in the industry, and give them a rebranding, few new blends, and a modern marketing touch.

Zaino would be great for this.
    At the risk of getting into another kerfuffle with you, I don`t think Zaino was ever a heavyweight in the industry, as opposed to being a heavyweight here at Autopia. They never had any mainstream distribution, and was really a cult product with a cult leader. IMO the wider internet killed this particular cult as availability of information reduced the dependence on cult/tribal knowledge...or at least allowed in information from other tribes/cults.

I don`t have anything against Zaino, I have most of their products, and they`re good, but so are a lot of other products. There is also the lingering Duragloss aroma.

Post Thanks / Like

I never tried the stuff, but I know it had an pretty sizeable following on the BMW forum I frequented back in the late 90`s early 2000`s. Guys were always talking about the 200 layers of product [/sarcasm] they were applying to the vehicles and the results were pretty good.

Back then, that forum had a massive following and the owners fell into a couple detailing tribes Zaino, Griots, and the One Grand Blitz Wax and later Klasse Twins.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate, I think maybe part of the "tribal" structure was wax vs. sealant, with Zaino perhaps being a lot of people`s first exposure to sealants. The "Zealots" (with their multiple layers) were quite insufferable here, and most of them got banned by DavidB (some of which had to do with them promoting a product he didn`t sell), and went off and started their own forum, and even got Sal to be a member and post a few times. That didn`t last too long though, I don`t remember the name of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If we started to document all the "Their-wash-soap-is-really-Dawn" or "All-their-products-are-repackaged-DuraGloss-products" and a host of other "he-said-she-said" dribble within this forum from long ago, it would make the 2020 election controversy/falsehoods/lies look like, well, an elementary school ground fight with you choosing the side you want to win. I have never used their products, know nothing about them, BUT those who have used them LOVE (or loved, past tense emphasized) them. Everyone who has a favorite, like their All-In-One or Leather Cleaner/Conditioner swear by them. Zaino Zealots are zealots for a reason; they have (had) first-hand experience with them.
    Trump MAGA zealots, well, that`s a WHOLE different discussion outside the scope of this detailing-centric forum and probably a very poor comparison for this topic, but you get the drift...just sayin` (Leave it to Captain Obvious to throw a little gasoline on the relaxing marsh mellow-roasting campfire!! POOOFFFFFFFFFFFF and he has no eyebrows or frontal hair! ___Quit laughing so hard....)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Sal had his lawyer send me a cease and desist letter in 95 as I was able to figure out what the protective product`s base was and was mentioning it, not worth fighting with a small operator who marketed to small group of followers.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Blast from the past…

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I never tried the stuff, but I know it had an pretty sizeable following on the BMW forum I frequented back in the late 90`s early 2000`s. Guys were always talking about the 200 layers of product [/sarcasm] they were applying to the vehicles and the results were pretty good.

Back then, that forum had a massive following and the owners fell into a couple detailing tribes Zaino, Griots, and the One Grand Blitz Wax and later Klasse Twins.
    Back when I joined Corvette Forum () in 2004 it took about a month to become indoctrinated into the Cult of Zaino…and I rode that horse until 2015. They were, uh, ‘passionate’ about the product line; layer upon layer, Z5 for dark colors, Z2 for light, add ZFX so you could do multiple layers in one day. Finish with Z6 until they came out with Z8 ‘Grand Finale’ spray. No one was really using DA’s, just wash with Dawn to strip, clay and start ladling that stuff on, per the included instructions. Always wondered if Sal started the whole Dawn ‘thing’.

Clear Seal was the first ‘Wipe On, Walk Away’ product and eventually an AIO arrived along w Fuzion, their hand/machine polish. And then crickets…nothing new since.

When the other ‘New Kid On The Block’ was Megs first version of Tech Wax, Zaino was far more durable albeit with a Saran Wrap gloss. Many compliments on the car in the Zaino years so it was good for when it was relatively new.

Plus side was that about a $150 spend/kit would get ya through the year

I distinctly remember using Gyeon CanCoat for the first time in 2017 and thinking “I wish you were around in the Zaino years; so easy and quick and far superior in every way.

Still folks in the Forum Zaino’g their new C8’s but pretty much few and far between. An occasional ‘Former Professional Detailer’ posts there regaling us with how his Zaino-finished cars were asked to stop competing at Pebble Beach because they were winning too often.

Can’t wait to get my Leather In a Bottle and revisit the old days!

Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Sal had his lawyer send me a cease and desist letter in 95 as I was able to figure out what the protective product`s base was and was mentioning it, not worth fighting with a small operator who marketed to small group of followers.
    Ha that sort of reminds me of when DavidB mused about a vendor whose products were getting talked about a lot here, but I guess he wouldn`t ante up for a sponsored sub-forum, mused about "what would the members think if a popular product turned out to just be a bulk product repackaged into smaller bottles at a much higher price; would it still be worth it to the members for the personalized customer service from this vendor?" with just enough hints so someone found the bulk website, what a firestorm ensued.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    If we started to document all the "Their-wash-soap-is-really-Dawn"
    Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    They were, uh, ‘passionate’ about the product line; layer upon layer, Z5 for dark colors, Z2 for light, add ZFX so you could do multiple layers in one day.
    Lonnie, no one ever said that Z-7 was Dawn, it was just that Sal`s prep regimen to strip your old products was Dawn. Of course later we proved here or at AGO that Dawn and mild detergents like that are incapable of stripping sealants, and maybe not even waxes, but do a good job of "clogging" the LSP so it no longer beads and you think your LSP is gone...how funny to think that Zaino user who put 10 layers on his "stripped" paint actually had it on top of his original LSP plus a layer of Dawn residue. Of course if he clayed after the Dawn, that probably removed a lot of LSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    If we started to document all the "All-their-products-are-repackaged-DuraGloss-products" dribble
    Aww, c`mon, you can`t tell me the old Z-16 (the white, lemon-scented one) wasn`t DG 253, or that Z-8 isn`t concentrated AquaWax, and for "sure" Z-6 IS FC&S. And then there was the whole Z-1 and DG PBA...hmmm.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s here…

Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were (Official Audio) - YouTube

Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to get a real kick, email Sal and ask him if he has any plans to release any ceramic products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    If you want to get a real kick, email Sal and ask him if he has any plans to release any ceramic products.
    Did you do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    Heck, I’m gonna go on a quest to find the Zaino factory so I can ask in person!

The Truth Is Out There!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information