Post Thanks / Like

Trim Dressing Help please.

Hello all, I used some Chemical Guys VRP applied with a new sponge. Didn`t think that I had used too much product. Everything looked real nice the day it was done. The next day I woke up to see these runs/streaking down the fender flair. I am guessing it is from morning dew but not 100% sure. This did not happen before using VRP. Any thoughts as to what would cause this to happen and how to prevent it from happening again ? Thank you for any help/suggestions.
    fender.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Dressing Help please.

rain water or sprinkler
    Likes Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing- That`s a good example of why I haven`t used a trim dressing since forever, preferring something like Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard Plus, which I maintain with a spraywax.
    Likes Older, Fishing liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Fishing- That`s a good example of why I haven`t used a trim dressing since forever, preferring something like Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard Plus, which I maintain with a spraywax.
    Yeah, and why I use my giant bottle of Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, which never seems to go empty. I was also intrigued by Oneheadlite`s use of Opti-Seal on trim, which is something I should try.

Post Thanks / Like

@Accumulator - thank you for the suggestion, looks like I am going to move to another product.
    @65chevy - You. are correct.
    @Setec Astronomy - I will look into the products that you mentioned.

I wrote to Chemical Guys about it and this was their response, a fast response also, next day. "It is normal for water base dressings to run after being introduced to water or moisture.
    For more humid environments, we recommend using an oil based dressing for your exterior plastics like Blue Guard ."
    Thank you all for your help/time.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the takeaway here, is that traditional trim dressings like VRP are PDMS-based and are just silicone oil emulsions. One thing that may help you is to buff it dry after application with a MF towel. The other products, UTTG, WETS, Opti-Seal, are sealants. UTTG is now water-based, WETS (at least the version I have) is heavy-solvent, Opti-Seal is lighter solvent. When I mean when I say heavy/light, is the volatility, WETS takes longer to "dry" as opposed to Opti-Seal and other WOWA sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using Opti-Seal on trim for some time now. Works fine, no darkening effect. I did try Jescar Tire and Trim a few weeks ago. Seems to be holding up fine. We’ll see how that goes over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, lots of "no white staining" LSP-type products work great on exterior trim. Collinite`s 845 comes to mind and I`ve even used FK1000P on some (don`t try this at home, kids!).

I still have both versions of the UTT+, and while the older solvent-based version lasts a little longer, the diff is pretty minimal IME. Note that the regular spray-waxing might factor in with that, and that this just on our vehicles, which are pretty pampered these days.

FWIW, I do plan to pick up some...uhm..oh, what is it?...Solution Finish. Ketch thinks it`s the [stuff] and that`s good enough for me. Might work great on stuff that`s too far gone fo prepping with Griot`s Rubber Prep.

Post Thanks / Like

VRP is one of the least durable products out there in my experience. It’s over a decade, maybe two old and has been leapfrogged by many products.

My preferred product for trim in good shape is Optimum car wax. It has a mild darkening effect and lasts about two months outdoors.
    Likes Older liked this post
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My preferred product for trim in good shape is Optimum car wax. It has a mild darkening effect and lasts about two months outdoors.
    Ah, I see I`m not alone in the SprayWax use for this Between the OCW and UQW, one or the other always gives the look I`m after.
    Likes Older, Dan, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

IT ALWAYS RAN FOR ME ALSO. I have a bottle that I won`t be replacing after it`s gone. It does look nice at first and is easy to apply. I was thinking I did not apply two coats or buffed it out. I did a mini test on it a while ago. Let me try to find it.

** here it is, I guess I never did a update on the test. I don`t do many reviews.

Wolfgang VRP and Chemical Guys VRT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, I see I`m not alone in the SprayWax use for this Between the OCW and UQW, one or the other always gives the look I`m after.
    I ran OCW on my wrangler for about 4 years and literally nothing else. Most wranglers at that age were already showing gray trim, mine was as dark as the day I bought it. Also never had to clay it, as crazy as it sounds. That stuff is amazing and utterly boring to me, probably my most used product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I ran OCW on my wrangler for about 4 years and literally nothing else. Most wranglers at that age were already showing gray trim, mine was as dark as the day I bought it. Also never had to clay it, as crazy as it sounds. That stuff is amazing and utterly boring to me, probably my most used product.
    OCW is all I`ve used on Accumulatorette`s A8 since, uhm...maybe 2015. And yeah, I just wash it and spritz on some OCW as my Drying Aid, and that`s that. I have had to do a little spot-claying, but not much. No, it`s not FK1000P, but it`s perfectly OK.

Thread Information