Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic/grapheme coating hydro-lock

So, as a relative newb to the hardcore detailing scene my head is spinning from all of the coating choices. And then there’s the added confusion around rim specific coatings. Is there really a difference between the wheel formulation and regular car formulation? And then that just begs the question; If there is a significant difference, is it worth applying the wheel formula to the car?

Are there a few brands that seem to hold up better to the elements on a daily driver that’s parked outside year round, and in the Denver metro area? I’m not trying to start a “what’s the best?” thread. Just trying to make it easier on my lizard brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic/grapheme coating hydro-lock

Wheel coatings are designed with very high temps. in mind due to the brakes etc Is there a real difference? I have never seen any chemist discuss that question...My spider senses tell me coating specific applications makes total sense. Like windshield coatings are also different.

I have never seen or heard of anyone using a wheel coating on paint but a paint coating on wheels is common practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Rim did better on wheels than Gyeon Mohs EVO did and Mohs EVO on paint did better than it did on wheels.

Unscientific but that’s what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks noorth thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was the opposite where Mohs Evo did better than Rim. Rim is not that great and fairly weak in my experience. It needs the Evo treatment.

For the op in most cases you can use a paint coating on wheels. Most factory wheels are clear coat. The concept behind a wheel specific coating is the higher temperature resistance. For daily driving wheels don’t get that hot and won’t exceed the temperature resistance of a paint coating. Going to the track is where a dedicated wheel coating will outperform a paint coating.

And yes not all wheel coatings are created equal. Some perform better than others.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    factory wheels are clear coat. The concept behind a wheel specific coating is the higher temperature resistance. For daily driving wheels don’t get that hot and won’t exceed the temperature resistance of a paint coating. Going to the track is where a dedicated wheel coating will outperform a paint coating.
    I’d imagine for daily drivers around here, the heat resistance of wheel coatings is likely secondary to their ability to survive slogging around in close proximity to snow, salt, slush, etc.

Not easy being a wheel in Winter Ceramic/grapheme coating hydro-lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread Information