Post Thanks / Like

2 Year Old Ceramic Finish

Ladies and Gents,

It`s been forever since I`ve been here so excuse me for maybe a noob`ish question. I now have a 2 year old Ford Ranger that came with the Ford applied ceramic finish. I`m looking to prolong this as much as I can. First, is this Ford product any good? If not what would you recommend as next steps. Second, if the Ford ceramic is ok, what would be the best topper to use to keep it looking good?

Thanks in advance and I`m glad to be back,
    Jeff
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Year Old Ceramic Finish

Ford does not have a ceramic coating for dealerships to sell, so any "warranty" etc is for some product the dealer buys from a non Ford approved vendor. If a Ford product would be sold under their MotorCraft brand with a written warranty supplied. therefore for any warranty supplied or implied when purchasing at the dealership, you are on your own.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Ford does not have a ceramic coating for dealerships to sell, so any "warranty" etc is for some product the dealer buys from a non Ford approved vendor. If a Ford product would be sold under their MotorCraft brand with a written warranty supplied. therefore for any warranty supplied or implied when purchasing at the dealership, you are on your own.
    Good info, So I would have to ask them what vendor did it and go to them to find out the product. From there I can figure out what the best maintenance plan would be, right? I`m not asking about a warranty. Not expecting one. Just since I`m aware there are different coatings out there, what`s the best way to take care of it.
    Likes Ron Ketcham, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Ladies and Gents,

It`s been forever since I`ve been here so excuse me for maybe a noob`ish question. I now have a 2 year old Ford Ranger that came with the Ford applied ceramic finish. I`m looking to prolong this as much as I can. First, is this Ford product any good? If not what would you recommend as next steps. Second, if the Ford ceramic is ok, what would be the best topper to use to keep it looking good?

Thanks in advance and I`m glad to be back,
    Jeff
    Welcome back, Jeff !
    I have had great results with my own vehicles and client`s vehicles, using CarPro Reset here -- CARPRO Reset Intensive Car Shampoo
    Years ago when coatings first came out, I noticed that my own coated vehicles seemed to "lose" their original ability to shed dirt, more quickly than I liked..
    Then sometime later, Reset was out, and I tried it...
    It took a few washes, but for sure, my coated vehicle`s ability to shed water and dirt again improved quite a bit, because I believe this Reset product removed the other things on top of the coating, and the coating was back...
    No, there is nothing I know of that will absolutely protect the coating from eventually going away, but in my experiences, Reset used as my only wash media has certainly helped my coated vehicles keep their coating acting like it is supposed to...
    Yes, there may be other products today that do what Reset does even better, but I have not heard of them..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Welcome back, Jeff !
    I have had great results with my own vehicles and client`s vehicles, using CarPro Reset here .....
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan!

Post Thanks / Like

Just use Groits 3 and one spray or use Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. use every 3 to 4 months
    Likes Dan, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from Stokdgs on this one. If it was a dealer-installed `coating`, and it`s been 2 years, I`m betting there`s very little, or none, of it left. First thing would be to give it a good wash with a product like Reset, just to see if there`s any of the coating left. You will typically see the hydrophobics come back on the lower portions of the doors as well as the lower portions of the side panel, which is where the dirtiest areas are.

Topping it with another protection product is going to give you the characteristics of that product, not necessarily the coating itself, especially if the coating has failed. When you combine the fact that it`s two years old, with the (perceived) lack of maintenance, I think it likely has. On the up side, you`re in a good place to decon and strip whatever is left, and provide some legit protection for your vehicles finish.
    Likes Stokdgs, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Good advice from Stokdgs on this one. If it was a dealer-installed `coating`, and it`s been 2 years, I`m betting there`s very little, or none, of it left. First thing would be to give it a good wash with a product like Reset, just to see if there`s any of the coating left. You will typically see the hydrophobics come back on the lower portions of the doors as well as the lower portions of the side panel, which is where the dirtiest areas are.

Topping it with another protection product is going to give you the characteristics of that product, not necessarily the coating itself, especially if the coating has failed. When you combine the fact that it`s two years old, with the (perceived) lack of maintenance, I think it likely has. On the up side, you`re in a good place to decon and strip whatever is left, and provide some legit protection for your vehicles finish.
    Thanks much.

BTW, I`ve searched and here`s a another noob question, How do I or where is the "Like" button for a thread reply?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Jeff !
    If you have the --

autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/193157-2-ceramic-finish.html application, on a PC or Laptop, you will see at the bottom of the post, the place where you can see - " Post Thanks / Like - 0 Likes, 0 Thanks, 0 dislikes" Line, and below that, some icons a Like, a Thanks, and a Dislike icon..
    Just put your cursor on the one you want and hit enter..

If you are looking at this app on your phone, I have no idea what that looks like...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hi, Jeff !
    If you have the --

autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/193157-2-ceramic-finish.html application, on a PC or Laptop, you will see at the bottom of the post, the place where you can see - " Post Thanks / Like - 0 Likes, 0 Thanks, 0 dislikes" Line, and below that, some icons a Like, a Thanks, and a Dislike icon..
    Just put your cursor on the one you want and hit enter..

If you are looking at this app on your phone, I have no idea what that looks like...

Dan F
    ok, I`m feeling really stupid. I don`t see it.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 200031.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    ok, I`m feeling really stupid. I don`t see it.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 200031.png
    There may be a minimum number of posts required before you get that option?
    Likes theclaw liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see it now. I guess I just passed the minimum!

Thread Information