Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone recommend a good interior cleaner/detailer?

Not a pro here but I do take care of mine and my wife`s cars. The bottle from Meguiars I have I am not finding to be what I was hoping. Or is it better to clean using something like this then using a secondary product to enhance the appearance of the dash and areas you want to look better? I seem to have the outside of the cars covered well but the interior is the area I should improve on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone recommend a good interior cleaner/detailer?

What are you using, the Meg`s QID (Quick Interior Detailer)? I always liked that as a wipedown product, for dust and light dirt. If you want more cleaning power, a lot of people seemed to like the Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. I find it a bit soapy and don`t like the smell too much. OPC (Optimum Power Clean) is a very effective cleaner and can be used at 1:10 or 1:5 on interiors. A lot of people on the Optimum forums also like to use ONR for interior wipedown, and/or Opti-Clean (their waterless wash) for more cleaning.

In answer to your other question, I guess this is the age old "wash & wax" or "AIO" question, whether it`s better to separate the cleaning and protecting/appearance functions. I would say it depends. If it`s really grungy you`ve got to use a dedicated cleaner, something strong like an APC. If it`s medium dirt, a mild or AIO cleaner could work (something like the Ultima I mentioned or Opti-Clean or many other options). And if it`s just dust and fingerprints, QID or similar products , like Nextzett Cockpit Premium, will be fine.

So if it`s really dirty and you have to use an APC, you might want to go over it with some sort of dressing after. I prefer the "sealant" kind of products like Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant or Ultima Interior Guard Plus. Guz also recently reviewed an interior coating that darkens and enhances but isn`t slippery, etc.
    Likes mchandler, ShenValley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DP All in one interior is very good.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes mchandler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use McKee`s 37 Interior Protectant and Griots Garage Interior Detailer. Both are more of an AIO since they are protectants with a mild cleaner built in. If I need to do any heavy cleaning I use Poorboy`s World APC diluted for interior use.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes mchandler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What are you using, the Meg`s QID (Quick Interior Detailer)? I always liked that as a wipedown product, for dust and light dirt. If you want more cleaning power, a lot of people seemed to like the Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel. I find it a bit soapy and don`t like the smell too much. OPC (Optimum Power Clean) is a very effective cleaner and can be used at 1:10 or 1:5 on interiors. A lot of people on the Optimum forums also like to use ONR for interior wipedown, and/or Opti-Clean (their waterless wash) for more cleaning.

In answer to your other question, I guess this is the age old "wash & wax" or "AIO" question, whether it`s better to separate the cleaning and protecting/appearance functions. I would say it depends. If it`s really grungy you`ve got to use a dedicated cleaner, something strong like an APC. If it`s medium dirt, a mild or AIO cleaner could work (something like the Ultima I mentioned or Opti-Clean or many other options). And if it`s just dust and fingerprints, QID or similar products , like Nextzett Cockpit Premium, will be fine.

So if it`s really dirty and you have to use an APC, you might want to go over it with some sort of dressing after. I prefer the "sealant" kind of products like Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant or Ultima Interior Guard Plus. Guz also recently reviewed an interior coating that darkens and enhances but isn`t slippery, etc.
    Thanks. Both of our vehicles are new so neither are beyond dusty. The Quick Interior Detailer is what I am using. Maybe I am expecting too much from a product considering the cars are not filthy at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    DP All in one interior is very good.

DP?

Never mind. Found it.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar’s QID has been around a long time. It has a light cleaner built in along with uv protection. It will keep the OEM factory appearance. Still one of the best interior Detailers on the market.

Others that are work well are:

CarPro InnerQD - works well. They claim anti static but I never noticed a hint of that. Has a lemon scent which can trigger allergies. On the pricey side.

DIY Detail Interior Detailer - just used this and it does a good job. One of the best smelling interior Detailers on the market.

McKee’s 37 - this one is also nice. A bit on the pricey side.

Optimum No Rinse - ONR always works as well

Hard to beat Meguiar’s for the cost and effectiveness.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I really haven`t used many Interior cleaners but since i`m a concentrate guy i picked up labocosmetica`s interior cleaner. My father not me lol wiped down my car a few months ago and it really did look nice and fresh. It was cut 10:1. He liked it so much he used it on his own car.

The smell is relatively neutral.

I`ve even used carpro`s ech20 cut 1:20 for a light clean.

Koch chemie`s polstar is another gem from what i read. Also concentrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShenValley View Post
    Thanks. Both of our vehicles are new so neither are beyond dusty. The Quick Interior Detailer is what I am using. Maybe I am expecting too much from a product considering the cars are not filthy at all.
    I use P&S express for interior cleaning mixed 1:1 with distilled. Have used 1:2 (1xpress2distilled) for a quick clean up.

I like to apply a protectant and maintain for cleaning.

Right now for protectant I use Gyeon Preserve and LeatherCoat and PBL Leather&Vinyl coating.

Then maintain with Adam’s interior QD but the Meguiars will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes JaCKISMYDOG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Meguiar’s QID has been around a long time. It has a light cleaner built in along with uv protection. It will keep the OEM factory appearance. Still one of the best interior Detailers on the market.

Hard to beat Meguiar’s for the cost and effectiveness.
    Totally agree. Seems like I`ve been using it forever with excellent results.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming that the Original Poster (OP-ShenValley) is asking about a quick-interior detailer (QID) with SOME cleaning ability and NOT about an interior cleaner for thoroughly cleaning or removing organic stains (coffee/tea, soda, cosmetics, food, tobacco film or "medical dope" ), embedded dirt, human oils/blood/urine-fecal (mostly from babies), pet accidents, or petroleum-based stains (motor oil, lubricating grease, spray lubricants, glue and adhesives).
    There does come a point when a thorough interior cleaning is required and the in-between QID applications are just that, quick-and-easy.
    Per The Guz`s admonition and endorsement, I have used Meg`s Quik-Interior Detailer as well. It must be good, as it is sold in gallon containers to professional detailers and more-serious hobbyists who use it more often.
    Side No 1: remember this thread about Meg`s QID?
    Did Meguair's change the fragrance on their Quick Interior Detail recently??
    I have never tried Optimum Polymer Technology`s No-Rinse (ONR) for cleaning hard surfaces on interiors. I forget what the dilution ratio is used as a clay lube (1 ounce to 32 ounces of water or 1:32), but I wonder if that can also be used on the fore-mentioned interior surfaces

I still find myself using Meg`s Pro-Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner diluted 1:3 for a more thorough cleaning OR spot cleaning of stains or dirt. Just be careful on leathers. It might be best to use 1:10 dilution, as I have had the unfornunate experience of it removing coated-leather coloring on one occasion when used at 1:3.

One detailing tip is NOT to spray any QID directly on surface, but rather apply the spray to a microfiber or soft-cotton (think handkerchief or flour sack) cloth and then wipe the surface for cleaning and follow with another cloth for drying. Sounds common sense, but excess over-spray can get on to surfaces that make clean-up times longer or may not be the best cleaner for that material, like clear-plastic dash gauge lens or glass.
    Tip number two is NOT to use ammonia-base window cleaners (Windex) and paper toweling on clear plastic lenses or navigation/info/control screens. Many screens and lenses have been finely scratched/swirled from using this method by well-intentioned but "uneducated" newbie or hobbyist detailers (that would be me, sad to say. Live and learn....). The paper is too abrasive and the window cleaner does not have the proper lubricates for use on plastic when wiped. I have migrated to Meg`s Mirror-Glaze Line No 17 Plastic Cleaner and No.10 Plastic Polish with a nav-screen-dedicated microfiber for clear plastic lens cleaning and maintenance.
    Side note No. 2, if you go to a boating supply store you may find Bio-Kleen`s Screen Cleaner Kit (not to be confused with Bi-O-Kleen) designed for fish-finder and boating navigation touch screens. Boaters and fishermen swear by them and they are reported to help cut the glare and reduce fingerprint smears. Not sure if this would work on automotive touch screens, but it is worth considering.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used ONR, Megs Quick, Optimum Paint Prep and Gyeon ID. All work very well. ONR is the most economical followed by Megs Quik and OPP. Optimum Paint Prep is a great option as well. Gallon for $35. The Megs Quick is much like Gyeon in that they`re alcohol based (60%), flash quickly and leave an OEM surface. Gyeon smells better than the Megs but the Megs works as well or better and leaves some UV protection behind where the Gyeon doesn`t. The Gyeon will have a nicer bottle and sent but it`s also the most expensive.

Hearing good things about the new DIY Interior that Guz reviewed.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The old standby was diluted Woolite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIt View Post
    Optimum Paint Prep is a great option as well. Gallon for $35.
    Really? On the interior?

Post Thanks / Like

I had been using Meg`s QID, but I found an old thread on the Optimum forum where Dr. G stated that Opti-Clean, their waterless wash product, was good for all interior surfaces, including leather and touch screens. It`s not as aggressive of a cleaner as QID, but smells much better and leaves a slicker finish. It has become my go-to product for interior maintenance. Personally, I like some other WW products better for painted surfaces, namely Pinnacle and Wolfgang, but Opti-Clean earns its spot on my shelves strictly for it`s interior performance.

Bill
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information