Post Thanks / Like

Thinning the herd, do you? (Products)

Like most of us here, I’ve been there, done it, wanted it, bought it, tried it, wash rinse, and repeat.

I’ve spent more money than I will ever publicly admit on products/supplies.

I’ve used different products from different manufacturers, chasing perfection.

That being said I’ve reached the point of “done is better than perfect”, and I need to simplify things. Not just a simple scaled down product inventory, but a scaled down “process”.

have you given stuff away, or thrown it out? Do you keep it? Why?

here’s my revelation:

I did my truck “get ready for winter” detail. I thought man I have all this stuff on my shelves. Let’s decide once,and for all whats “the best”. My best isn’t your best.

I just want a nice looking shiny car. here’s what I did:

3m supersoak pre soak
    onr wash followed by iron remover (used as a clay lube,) and clay towel.
    towel dry

”polishing” I use the lake country pad washer. I pre prime all my pads ala Yvan. Rupes yellow wool pad, my go to.

hood got my “gold standard”. Rupes yellow or blue polish, panel wipe down then jescar powerlock, topped with 945.

roof was all in one. Rupes Uno, Wipe off, and done.

left front quarter was 3d one / jescar/ 945, left door 3d one / meguiars spray wax, left back door 3d one/ optimum optiseal. Back left panel ceram x / sonex net shield.

right side was all optimum. Front right was intensive polish/spray wax wipe down, right front door hyper polish, onr wipe down/optiseal dry aid. Rear door intensive polish, onr wipe down, opti seal. Rear panel hyper compound/hyper polish/onr wipe down, dry / panel wipe, opti,seal, spray wax.
    tail gate,same.

honestly it all looked the same. It all looked good. As far as I’m concerned my deciding factor now is ease of use and moving forward I’m done with cream polish, and cream/paste wax.

I really liked the optimum spray polishes, optiseal, and spray wax. I also like meguiars spray wax.

spray polish it is. Then either optiseal, or a coating.

monthly/bi weekly rinsless wash with optiseal/spray wax as a drying aid.

interior, onr. Wipe the inside down with it, and done like dinner.

I will keep only one apc.

spray polish
    optiseal/spray wax
    coating
    one apc
    one degreaser (tires and wheels)
    303 aero spray for tires and engine bay.

im totally sold on the rinseless wash. I love it but I will keep some soap on hand. The foam cannon is cool and if the nephews are over and want to help uncle wash the truck out it comes (until they are old enough to realize it’s not so much fun, lol)

so who gets rid of old stuff? How long do you let it sit?

im not knocking any products. They all work, it’s just the newer spray stuff works better for me, and at the end of the day there’s no difference (I’m talking generally, and not using swirl lights, and chasing perfection).

since there’s no difference to me I will choose easy. At this point in my life I want a nice looking vehicle but I’d rather be sitting on a pontoon boat
    Likes Coatings=crack, VitreousHumor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinning the herd, do you? (Products)

I haven’t thinned the herd but am more selective in my purchasing but still have too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in that phase, i still don`t have a whole lot of stuff but i bought some expensive products. Polish angel, Nv Nova EVO alone was probably over 400 bucks. I still have 3/4`s of a bottle of rapidwaxx. I think it`s a great product and it`s not uber expensive.

I might have a go at one of those spray polishes. DIYdetail has one coming out.

APC: Greenstar and rinseless washing changed the way i clean my car. I used a lot of shampoo the summer in my foam cannon. That`s how i intend to use up the junk i have. I will keep my full bottle of reset and sample of labo`s semper - smells like perfume.

I too have done many different things to different panels and i can`t tell the difference. It`s the user experience. Like i was looking at mckee`s N914 Wash and Wax lastnight thinking that might be the best RW because it`s probably very slick and glossy. I don`t care about it changing the beading for a week or less..its a moot point to me.

Coating: I will be just sticking with cancoat. Once it goes bad i will try tacsystems moonlight or even diamond protech quickbody.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I`m in that phase, i still don`t have a whole lot of stuff but i bought some expensive products. Polish angel, Nv Nova EVO alone was probably over 400 bucks. I still have 3/4`s of a bottle of rapidwaxx. I think it`s a great product and it`s not uber expensive.

I might have a go at one of those spray polishes. DIYdetail has one coming out.

APC: Greenstar and rinseless washing changed the way i clean my car. I used a lot of shampoo the summer in my foam cannon. That`s how i intend to use up the junk i have. I will keep my full bottle of reset and sample of labo`s semper - smells like perfume.

I too have done many different things to different panels and i can`t tell the difference. It`s the user experience. Like i was looking at mckee`s N914 Wash and Wax lastnight thinking that might be the best RW because it`s probably very slick and glossy. I don`t care about it changing the beading for a week or less..its a moot point to me.

Coating: I will be just sticking with cancoat. Once it goes bad i will try tacsystems moonlight or even diamond protech quickbody.
    CanCoat definitely outperforms moon light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think all products more or less get us to the same result.

it’s a matter of user experience, cost, and even smell. (Wife absolutely loves megs glass cleaner so we keep it. I just use onr before I wash the car)

I not only want the fastest/easiest products, I’m also done with 3 app’s, 4 soaps, 8 polishes, 2 compounds, 2 all in ones , etc. (uhh speaking for a friend???lol)

onr or rinsless of choice does many things well enough, I won’t bother with much else.

I think it’s time to cull the herd

Thread Information