Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    86,793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Much of this seems to center on shampoos for Coatings (Reset, etc.). But just FWIW, on my conventionally-LSPed vehicles I found that using max-lubricity shampoos that clean/rinse well and don`t strip LSP is certainly worth the added cost. That was a tough sell as I figured "lesser" shampoos would be fine, but it sure worked out that way. But hey, YMMV and all that, and I suspect that variables related to water (hardness, etc.) can make all the diff.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ..[previously] I used Meg`s Mirror Glaze M62 Carwash Shampoo and Conditioner (an excellent soap in its own right)..
    I still have a little bit of that that I`m saving for when I *really* want to smell it again Good stuff in every regard (IMO/IME) but it sure is pricey.

    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Gold Class never impressed me.
    Same here, used it up on wheelwells.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Accumulator -

    Have you gotten around to using Reset yet....u might get -hooked

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Much of this seems to center on shampoos for Coatings (Reset, etc.). But just FWIW, on my conventionally-LSPed vehicles I found that using max-lubricity shampoos that clean/rinse well and don`t strip LSP is certainly worth the added cost. That was a tough sell as I figured "lesser" shampoos would be fine, but it sure worked out that way. But hey, YMMV and all that, and I suspect that variables related to water (hardness, etc.) can make all the diff.
    What soap(s) do you like that you feel are good and more safe for LSPs?

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Anyone care to comment on the Kamikaze Hagakure Wash Sponge? I think i would really enjoy using a sponge instead of noddle mitts.

    Reset still is my favorite soap. Smells great and just a nice experience.

    It`s no more expensive than many car soaps in canada so it`s a no-brainer for me. Even one small bottle is good for 16 washes..

  5. #20
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    7,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    You guys are a strong army of reset users. But it it worth the 8-10x price of Hyperwash???

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You guys are a strong army of reset users. But it it worth the 8-10x price of Hyperwash???
    I see a price difference of about 2.5x when comparing the gallon/4L but that doesn’t take into account the 400:1 recommended dilution of HyperWash vs the 500:1 of Reset. So that might take it to twice as expensive and I don’t know that Reset is twice as good. But those of us that are hobbyists don’t go through as much so the price difference isn’t that big a deal. For a business, obviously that would be different and skewed towards Hyper Wash.
    Likes Coatings=crack, dwaleke liked this post

  7. #22
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    7,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Good points. I was comparing the smaller bottle vs the gallon of Megs. Still $30 vs $90!

  8. #23
    dcjredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Rochester, NY
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Bah ha ha ha...SOAP? All soap is "2nd tier" IMO.
    Don

    1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the Kamikaze Hagakure Wash Sponge? I think i would really enjoy using a sponge instead of noddle mitts.

    Reset still is my favorite soap. Smells great and just a nice experience.

    It`s no more expensive than many car soaps in canada so it`s a no-brainer for me. Even one small bottle is good for 16 washes..
    Sponges scare me Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough. And getting 10 to wash my car would be quit expensive but yes those and the Esoteric sponges have intrigued me.

    I do prefer the fine fiber MF mitts a lot more than the noodles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    13,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    They scare the hell out of me too. I’ll only use mitts
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Since we`re way off topic, I`ll jump in and continue--regarding the Kamikaze and Esoteric sponges, I question the wisdom of any wash media being black.
    Likes wannafbody, dwaleke liked this post

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Genoa Township, OH
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the Kamikaze Hagakure Wash Sponge? I think i would really enjoy using a sponge instead of noddle mitts.
    Version 1.0 was a bit too ‘un-supple’ for my tastes but Version 2.0 corrected that…very soft and the diagonal cuts on the flat side resemble Optimums Big Red Sponge for whatever that’s worth.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Sponges scare me Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough. And getting 10 to wash my car would be quit expensive but yes those and the Esoteric sponges have intrigued me.

    I do prefer the fine fiber MF mitts a lot more than the noodles.
    I’ve gone from wool mitts to noodle mitts to Gyeon Smoothies to Rag Company Cyclones to the Esoteric sponge. Took a bit to get used to the sponge, kinda small in comparison to mitts but after getting used to them, much easier to get into small spaces like the hood vent slats and vents on top of rear fenders on Corvette.

    The Kami Hagakure sponge is larger so would be helpful on cars like the Cayman with smoother body panels to cover large areas quickly but not a huge issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    They scare the hell out of me too. I’ll only use mitts
    Have been using the sponges for 2 years now, no wash marring I can see; occasionally the microfiber mitts would leave a bit of that after a season of washing. Who knows though, it might just be that the sponges are a better fit for a somewhat ‘careless’ washer like me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Since we`re way off topic, I`ll jump in and continue--regarding the Kamikaze and Esoteric sponges, I question the wisdom of any wash media being black.
    When I lived amongst the trees and washed outside it was actually easier to see or feel any foreign debris on the sponge than it was looking for them buried in a microfiber mitt.

    Like anything, largely personal preference and habits that dictate the effectiveness and suitability of a wash media for each person but after using sponges for a few years no detrimental effects that I’ve seen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes dgage, noorth liked this post

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    When I lived amongst the trees and washed outside it was actually easier to see or feel any foreign debris on the sponge than it was looking for them buried in a microfiber mitt.
    I wasn`t wading into the sponge-vs.-microfiber mitt debate, I was opining about the color. Wouldn`t it be easier to see foreign debris on a blue or red sponge than a black one? I`m speaking as someone who is irked by ONR staining my yellow microfiber wash media (which are low-pile vs. things like the Incredimitt); black wash media would drive me crazy. I do almost exclusively rinseless now, so being able to see if dirt is still coming off the car onto the wash media is important to me, and I can`t see it if the media is black.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, dgage, dwaleke liked this post

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Genoa Township, OH
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I wasn`t wading into the sponge-vs.-microfiber mitt debate, I was opining about the color. Wouldn`t it be easier to see foreign debris on a blue or red sponge than a black one? I`m speaking as someone who is irked by ONR staining my yellow microfiber wash media (which are low-pile vs. things like the Incredimitt); black wash media would drive me crazy. I do almost exclusively rinseless now, so being able to see if dirt is still coming off the car onto the wash media is important to me, and I can`t see it if the media is black.
    Ah…I see your point. I was always using multi-colored microfiber wash mitts and staring into those was likely akin to a bad acid trip Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    I think somewhere I have a Big Red Sponge and the yellow McKees equivalent but like many things for me the buying excitement superseded the actual using of them.

    I’m too incompetent to do rinseless so by the time wash media touches my paint, the “It’s clean, why are you even washing it?” car has been pressure rinse and foamed so I’d likely not see much dirt with a Lilly-white sponge.

    All that said, the sponges are definitely not something you’d wanna use on a muddled-up 4x4 that just crawled out of the woods…much too tender for that usage scenario!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes dgage liked this post

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,769
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Ah…I see your point. I was always using multi-colored microfiber wash mitts and staring into those was likely akin to a bad acid trip Is 2nd tier Shampoo Good Enough

    I think somewhere I have a Big Red Sponge and the yellow McKees equivalent but like many things for me the buying excitement superseded the actual using of them.
    I`m too cheap to splurge on a BRS, but I did try the Optimum blue one and couldn`t get myself to like it, certainly not as much as I liked grout sponges during that fad. I have tried to like the things like the Incredimitt and Incredipad, but it hasn`t worked yet. I usually use The Bone, or my favorite rinseless media is actually the old Meguiar`s Quik Detail Pads from 2004, which are kind of like The Bone but with a wimpier sponge inside. I did buy a bunch of the TRC MF wash pads when they had them on sale, hoping to try to do the multiple-media wash, which I have been unsuccessful in making myself like, but I haven`t had a chance yet.

    Ok, I think this is enough thread-jack, sorry, mobiledynamics.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. a good brand of shampoo for the car?
    By palulo1 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  2. 2nd Tier Polishes - Reviews ? Comparos?
    By jooccord in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 07:04 AM
  3. Good carpet shampoo?
    By imported_hockeyplaya13 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
  4. Can someone recommend a good Shampoo?
    By ScoobyDrew06 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 06:21 AM
  5. 1z Perls Shampoo .. good but ...
    By imported_Axe in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 01:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •