Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DIY Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Detail

Possible.

I know rupes market them for the rotary but i bet they would work fine on a DA. It`s marketing nonsense IMO with rupes, maybe they don`t want the waffle pads to eat up their flat pads market...who knows. IMO Rupes is very overrated anyhow.

Out of all the complete polishing systems out there and if i was a professional it would probably be scholls with their spider pads and some microfibers i`m not sure if they have any frankly with a flex 3401 and pixie. Just rambling now haha Carpro-us recently came out with their own line of spider pads so they must really like them. Scholls is expensive in canada and what i have now gives me what i want.

My next order i will be getting the yellow DIY waffle for sure. No more rupes for this guy unless they come out with the best cordless 15mm on the market, which is quite possible. Apparently the 3 inch cordless is more powerful than their corded 3 inch, impressive. I have the 15mm SPTA has you know, its not bad but its still doesn`t have the power of my G15.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing is that the waffle pads have less surface area. The rotary moves in one direction, the RO moves in two directions, so I guess it`s possible that some paint could be missed by the random orbit motion with a waffle pad. I`d also think the RO motion would be harder on a pad than the one spinning motion of a rotary.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    The new DIY spray polish looks interesting. But i`d imagine it would be messy.

In one of the video reviews the guys from DIY stated in the comment section it can remove up to 1500 grit and you don`t even need to use a panel wipe to coat over it, which i found very interesting.

I have never used a spray polish before and thought of trying optimum`s a few times now.

The waffle pad look really nice too since i love CCS pads. I might just try it BUT i really don`t need anymore polishes or pads lol

edit: I just noticed something. Yvan Lacroix stated in one of his video`s one of the reasons waffle pads are not so popular are because they are more expensive to make but i just checked the price on the new rupes waffle pads and they are considerably cheaper than the flat pads. I assume he was directly referring to lake country....i need to get a life haha I might just try the yellow rupes waffle pad, very good price. DIYdetail will probably be closer to the HDO price i believe.

Nope looks like the DIY pad is nicely priced....
    “Rotary” pads are cheaper because everyone is using da’s. If rotary becomes popular then the da pads will be cheaper.

not the same but kinda….. decades ago whey (cheese by product) was thrown out. It was garbage. Then it was discovered it’s a good protein choice. Whey protein = expensive, then the gold standard milk and egg protein was cheap cause it wasn’t “as good”. Then a study came out that whey was absorbed too fast, and egg protein was better. All the sudden whey went down in price.

honestly here’s my take:

I’ve tried many brands of foam, polish, Etc. end result is all the same. Clean shiny paint.

what I can say is:

waffle/ccs type pads seem easier to use. I’ve used optimum and rupes waffle. Same result.

spray polish is 100% easier to use, I use less product.

spray wax way better than cream/paste.

I e only used optimum spray stuff cause at the time it was basically the only spray out there. I’ll try diy when I need new stuff.

I’ve had success with a rotary. Not scared anymore thanks to,Yvan.

yvan promotes whomever he works for but his “process” is the same:

clean pads all the time (4000 pad washer)
    waffle pad
    spray polish
    low speed
    no pressure

i think the process is bang on. Works for me. Of the brands I’ve tried within his process I can tell no difference.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I might pickup the spray polish and waffle pad. I love my CCS pad. Best pad i ever used. I might even get a gallon of DIY rinseless, we`ll see when i try absolute and DIY. Not a fan of McKee`s frankly as a whole so that`s out of the question. Smell will probably be the determining factor, i really like nice smelling products and absolute smells like coconut which is one of my favorite smells. 3D One smells like coconut and it was one of the main reasons i wanted to like it so much but the user experience/wipeoff just sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what the DIY rinseless smells like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    Anyone know what the DIY rinseless smells like?
    Apparently its more of an apple smell but very nice. Most of their products have scents from what i gather from youtube. The spray polish smells like bananas apparently. Personally i really enjoy nice smelling products, it makes me want to use them more..cancoat is great for instance but i wished it smelled better lol

Post Thanks / Like

Nice smelling products can make such a positive difference, room for forgiveness, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be using DIY`s touch less wash method next week - with different products - but i will still be doing a contact wash after all the chemicals with most likely DIY rinseless. Very good video. Straight forward.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What/who is B&B??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    What/who is B&B??
    Not sure what your referencing but might be B&B blending. They are a chemical company that blends and produces detailing products for smaller detail product companies.

Recochem owns them as well as Adam’s polishes and other companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I got to see DIY Rinseless and Absolute a few days ago - too cold to try.

For me the smell is much better with Absolute, not even close. DIY smells slightly like apples and Absolute coconut, a great smelling product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Update: I got to see DIY Rinseless and Absolute a few days ago - too cold to try.

For me the smell is much better with Absolute, not even close. DIY smells slightly like apples and Absolute coconut, a great smelling product.
    I never "understood" the fragrance as an important marketing part of car care products used for washing, cleaning, and surface appearance. That is unless it is to mask a chemical smell that is so unappealing as to render the car-care product "undesirable" (AKA, no one will buy it because it stinks).
    That said, I think there are a number of car care products with memorable or more-than-pleasant fragrances that some of you have commented on. My most memorable is Meg`s no-longer-produced NXT 2.0 sealant with its lime-like citrus fragrance.
    I know too, that some soaps smell like bubble gum and others like cherry. I still prefer a citrus, like Chemical Guy`s Citrus Wash-and-Gloss.

With respect to the DIY Detail and the related discussion of its manufacturer, this topic has been the subject of great debate within this forum of who-makes-what-for-whom (or by whom) concerning name-brand car care product manufacturers. You can guess/sermise/postulate all you want about this: the fact is there are a few large-scale car-care chemical benders/mixers/labs who contract their services out to make these products. One is Northern Labs located in my home state in Manitowoc, WI, better know for their own label of car-care products under the Kit Wax brand label.
    We`ve also guessed at Werner Chemicals and their making of Chemical Guys, plus a host of others.

My point is does it matter who makes it as long as the product is good, you like it and use it, and you feel it is a good value for what you paid.
    This statement coming from a frugal (AKA cheap) Captain Obvious.
    GB detailer
    Likes noorth, CleanIt, 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I never "understood" the fragrance as an important marketing part of car care products…
    Methinks that in some cases fragrance plays a VERY important role in perceptions of performance. While CarPro Reset is a great shampoo, the fact that it smells so ‘clean’ without being antiseptic lends a bit to its perceived effectiveness. Now stuff like ‘Stripper Scent’ products, well…DIY Detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I never "understood" the fragrance as an important marketing part of car care products used for washing, cleaning, and surface appearance. That is unless it is to mask a chemical smell that is so unappealing as to render the car-care product "undesirable" (AKA, no one will buy it because it stinks).
    That said, I think there are a number of car care products with memorable or more-than-pleasant fragrances that some of you have commented on. My most memorable is Meg`s no-longer-produced NXT 2.0 sealant with its lime-like citrus fragrance.
    I know too, that some soaps smell like bubble gum and others like cherry. I still prefer a citrus, like Chemical Guy`s Citrus Wash-and-Gloss.

With respect to the DIY Detail and the related discussion of its manufacturer, this topic has been the subject of great debate within this forum of who-makes-what-for-whom (or by whom) concerning name-brand car care product manufacturers. You can guess/sermise/postulate all you want about this: the fact is there are a few large-scale car-care chemical benders/mixers/labs who contract their services out to make these products. One is Northern Labs located in my home state in Manitowoc, WI, better know for their own label of car-care products under the Kit Wax brand label.
    We`ve also guessed at Werner Chemicals and their making of Chemical Guys, plus a host of others.

My point is does it matter who makes it as long as the product is good, you like it and use it, and you feel it is a good value for what you paid.
    This statement coming from a frugal (AKA cheap) Captain Obvious.
    for me ease of use, and speed are priority. Scent is secondary.

and besides scent is subjective. I really like how Meg’s d101 smells. Others hate it.

while I absolutely love love love optimum spray polish and compound, they actually smell like “chemical”.

im 100% sold on spray products. Scent is secondary. I will say optimum spray wax is like coconut. Their optiseal smells like chemical.

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Detail

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Methinks that in some cases fragrance plays a VERY important role in perceptions of performance. While CarPro Reset is a great shampoo, the fact that it smells so ‘clean’ without being antiseptic lends a bit to its perceived effectiveness. Now stuff like ‘Stripper Scent’ products, well…DIY Detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    [mention]Lonnie [/mention] Fragrance seems very important part of detailing. Why we have sprayable and other types of air fresheners.

Car Pro even came out with an Eraser dented air freshener (BP1 told me about)

Fragrances are like taste. Some will say a $100 28 day dry aged prime ribeye taste just like a good s$20 steak from a butcher. Others will notice a huge difference.

Why there is a billion dollar cologne/perfume industry.

Those smells aren’t there to cover up smells. Is because nice scents can increase endorphins.

Just because it doesn’t make scents (see what I did there?) to you. Doesn’t mean it’s not Important to others.

I will Absolute(ley) buy one product over the other by scent if performance is same.

Bought a gallon of Blackfire Prep spray which I feel works just as good as Eraser and have half gallon left.

Still just bought a 32oz of Eraser to coat my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 981 Cayman S, GearHead_1, noorth liked this post

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information