Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: DIY Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Detail

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    when did Mike leave auto forge? Where is he now?
    He was only at AutoForge for a minute, he`s at Dr. Beasley`s now, they already built him a "show car garage".

Post Thanks / Like

when did Mike leave auto forge? Where is he now?
    AutoForge didn’t last long. He is now with Dr. Beasley’s.
    I have no idea what happened with AutoForge. It seemed like a good thing.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

how do you mean? Optimum coatings over the polish without panel prep??
    Not required as long as you’re not leaving an oil slick behind. If so, a quick ONR wipe down and you’re G2G.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Gotta think about it like this….when a company goes to a manufacturer like 3D, P&S, Optimum, B&B, LC, Rupes, etc, do you really think they’re giving them a better version of the flagship product they already sell? At best, you’re getting the equivalent, but either with a different color or smell. Far from revolutionary, despite the marketing they use to spin things. There’s also the small chance that companies have stolen formulas from another company and try their best at replicating them with another manufacturer. Again, almost identical. What’s even crazier is when the prices of their products are higher than the company’s product they’re copying or re-blending. Makes them look even more sus in my book. That’s why I stick to the companies I mentioned that make the products and not the wannabes trying to get the low hanging fruit by making everyone think they’re special.
    This reminds of a theoretical situation in which an employee might leave a company and start his own company and people assume he takes all his patented products with him. Doesn`t really happen that way. The previous company most likely owns the patents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    This reminds of a theoretical situation in which an employee might leave a company and start his own company and people assume he takes all his patented products with him. Doesn`t really happen that way. The previous company most likely owns the patents.
    Patents? Very few patents, Optimum has a couple for OCW, those are the only ones I can think of other than the old expired clay patents. You`ve been around here a long time and know the detailing products business (and many others) runs on hype and marketing more than any technical basis.
    Likes Ron Ketcham, wannafbody, Dan, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

why is it a scam? DIY rinsless is cheaper than onr. Why are you not a fan of Yvan? Is it that he bounced to a few different companies in a short span, then now makes his own? Do you not like his methods? Don’t like Canadians? lol.
    Ivan doesn’t make his own… he gets it from a blender like most new brands. He freely admits it. He said he and his partner got shares or part of the company. Basically just paid better for being a front man as I doubt he has controlling interest.

With it being from a blender a good chance others using same or similar formulas from blender.

I think he means the way it was hyped. I found it very similar to Mckee’s N-914.

Not that that’s bad as n-914 is a great product but the hype behind it was (and I agree) exaggerated. Just another nice rinsless in a long line of them.

I don’t find absolute ground breaking but slickness was something new….

Everyone thinks Ivan was the mind behind ONR but nope just the hype guy.

One thing I’m not a fan of is his polishing routine. I ‘ve someone use a pad washer somewhere before and I first heard of removing polish with ONR on Detail World from a British influencer.

If he didn’t “create” these processes I hope he gave credit where it was due. Don’t know if that’s the case because I haven’t seen a lot of his videos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Not theoretical nor an assumption. It happens all the time and has happened with Opt & 3D. When the cat’s away, the mice will play. Time for another version. Especially after new competing product gets released. Funny how many fanboys died on a hill thinking their new product was so much better than the old standby when it turns out they’re pretty much identical sans some coloring & fragrance.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes wannafbody, Ron Ketcham, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    AutoForge didn’t last long. He is now with Dr. Beasley’s.
    I have no idea what happened with AutoForge. It seemed like a good thing.
    mike and Yvan both have bounced around quite a bit in the past year or so. Coincedince? I have no idea who owns what. I’m thinking the real money is in product. And car washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Not theoretical nor an assumption. It happens all the time and has happened with Opt & 3D. When the cat’s away, the mice will play. Time for another version. Especially after new competing product gets released. Funny how many fanboys died on a hill thinking their new product was so much better than the old standby when it turns out they’re pretty much identical sans some coloring & fragrance.
    form what I know (and it ain’t much) Dr g got sick, and while on leave opt went off the rails. No idea why Mike left auto geek, but he left 3D because tunc sold the company (real douche move if he knew it was in the works when he coaxed Mike over).

I have no idea if Mike or Yvan were promised something and then not.

mike just likes polishing paint. Yvan tried (still?) coaching detailers (business academy) and is now focusing on product.

no idea how much input he had at opt, but supposedly he tells the “blender: what he wants and they make it happen. I guess no different than obsessed garage drying aid and decon soap. Or many other companies.

I have no idea who owns what, who makes what for whom, and who,actually makes their,stuff as opposed to who blenders.

all I know is:

spray polish is the way
    i like diy spray over opt (mainly scent)
    I like Yvans method, and process.

this is the way

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys read a few last posts and wanted to share my experience to with DIY detail. I do agree about the rinse less it`s not a super special one just another good product but kind of hyped up. In videos I remember Yvan saying it was a unique polymer and detergent rinseless but in reality it`s mostly detergency. Gallon was even cheaper a few bucks here compared to ONR. But I tried ONR again (I had some left) and it isn`t bad either you know. I think when I run out I`ll get the new ONR revision gallon, it`s the OG. I can also do a clay lube solution from ONR (it`s written on the bottle) so I can get rid of a product on my shelf, I like to reduce my product count when I can. Oh and one thing that I particularly noticed since it`s more polymer, you can see the dirt float around in the bubble when I sprayed it that was pretty cool.

But yeah I mean it`s not bad products. Another thing since it`s more DIY so to say, they scent their product and it`s always a pleasant smell to me. The rinse less is apple although I do admit the ONR smell is nice to, and ONR colors the water much more which I prefer. I really like their interior clean and protect as well for my regular interior maintenance. This summer I will be trying their polish and their pads for a ceramic coat on my car. I was going with Cquartz but then DIY came out with their own ceramic coating so idk, still on the fence but leaning more CarPro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Ivan doesn’t make his own… he gets it from a blender like most new brands. He freely admits it. He said he and his partner got shares or part of the company. Basically just paid better for being a front man as I doubt he has controlling interest.

With it being from a blender a good chance others using same or similar formulas from blender.

I think he means the way it was hyped. I found it very similar to Mckee’s N-914.

Not that that’s bad as n-914 is a great product but the hype behind it was (and I agree) exaggerated. Just another nice rinsless in a long line of them.

I don’t find absolute ground breaking but slickness was something new….

Everyone thinks Ivan was the mind behind ONR but nope just the hype guy.

One thing I’m not a fan of is his polishing routine. I ‘ve someone use a pad washer somewhere before and I first heard of removing polish with ONR on Detail World from a British influencer.

If he didn’t “create” these processes I hope he gave credit where it was due. Don’t know if that’s the case because I haven’t seen a lot of his videos
    yes from a blender, BUT not tit for tat. Supposedly their soap is much better than others. Haven’t tried it so I can’t say. The coating was easy peasy to instal, but again it’s my first coating.

who was the influencer you think pioneered Yvans technique, and process? I spend a fair amount,on YouTube. Yvan was the first I came across.

yvan wasn’t the first to use a pad washer but he did kinda start “clean pad on each pass, damp pad , etc.

Post Thanks / Like

yes from a blender, BUT not tit for tat. Supposedly their soap is much better than others. Haven’t tried it so I can’t say. The coating was easy peasy to instal, but again it’s my first coating.

who was the influencer you think pioneered Yvans technique, and process? I spend a fair amount,on YouTube. Yvan was the first I came across.

yvan wasn’t the first to use a pad washer but he did kinda start “clean pad on each pass, damp pad , etc.
    I’ve heard good things about their soap but at it’s dilution (2-3oz to bucket) vs reset (1-1.5oz to bucket) uses a lot more product.

Although $15 more per gallon Reset is more economical because of dilution rates.

Lastly one thing you will never hear is Incredible Suds is better than Reset. I’d put TacsSystems Mystic Bubble (dumbest name for a soap… or coolest?) in same boat with Reset.

I don’t know if Ivan was first with damp pad, clean DIY Detail ad every pass but I’ve known about cleaning after each pass from Autogeek forum since 2019. Where I lerned mostly about polishing.

As for keeping pad damp I got a free bottle of Blackfire pad conditioner when I bought my g15 from AG in 2019. Spray pad with a conditioner after I clean after every pass since then.

Don’t remember the guys name but if you dig around in detailing world I’m sure you’ll find links to his videos.

Lastly not knocking the Ivan we all learn from different people and then turn that process into our own, and make it better.

I just don’t really see how his method is better than what I have been doing getting good results.

Also seems like as it takes me 30 seconds to clean a pad with a brush, then spray with conditioner.

I change pads every panel. I’m sure it works well but I don’t have to spend $170 on a pad washer.

But I’m sure I have a GC somewhere and will eventually get bored and buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’ve heard good things about their soap but at it’s dilution (2-3oz to bucket) vs reset (1-1.5oz to bucket) uses a lot more product.

Although $15 more per gallon Reset is more economical because of dilution rates.

Lastly one thing you will never hear is Incredible Suds is better than Reset. I’d put TacsSystems Mystic Bubble (dumbest name for a soap… or coolest?) in same boat with Reset.

I don’t know if Ivan was first with damp pad, clean DIY Detail ad every pass but I’ve known about cleaning after each pass from Autogeek forum since 2019. Where I lerned mostly about polishing.

As for keeping pad damp I got a free bottle of Blackfire pad conditioner when I bought my g15 from AG in 2019. Spray pad with a conditioner after I clean after every pass since then.

Don’t remember the guys name but if you dig around in detailing world I’m sure you’ll find links to his videos.

Lastly not knocking the Ivan we all learn from different people and then turn that process into our own, and make it better.

I just don’t really see how his method is better than what I have been doing getting good results.

Also seems like as it takes me 30 seconds to clean a pad with a brush, then spray with conditioner.

I change pads every panel. I’m sure it works well but I don’t have to spend $170 on a pad washer.

But I’m sure I have a GC somewhere and will eventually get bored and buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol yep about the soap. Wanted to try it but price per use, Reset is cheaper by 50 cents a bucket. Even when buying the 1L Reset Vs 128oz gallon Incredible Suds, I`d love to try it but I check price per use and lower wins for me. I also have Gold Class for more my foam cannon soap and when I don`t want a rinseless but wanted to save on Reset, but after a quick calculation from the cheapest place I can get it... (Walmart), gold class is actually more expensive per use than Reset for me by 10 cents a bucket.

But about the pad washer method you don`t need to buy that at all if you just do it on your car as a DIYer. They show in another video how to clean it without IIRC. Much better than buying plenty of pads since I`m already going to spend a lot of money for the Griot polisher.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t used Diydetail soap so I can’t compare it to anything. Personally I use meguiars hyper wash for a soap (I’m mostly rinsless). Yvan even says his soap is expensive but has more surfactants than anyone. (Haven’t used it so who knows).

Since the pad washer I use 1 pad for an entire vehicle. Had I bought this pad washer years ago I’d have saved several hundred dollars in pads (I used to use 6 or so each car).

as you said many different ways to get the end result but I still stand on Yvans method. I’ve tried it and it’s the best there is.

and when I say “best” I mean easier, less product used, and LESS time needed. My time is valuable.

side note I’ve noticed the Diydetail ceramic interior has turned my truck into a dog hair magnet (it’s pulling dog hair from our clothes and onto the truck interior. ). Seems to have static, but it’s touted as anti static.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

That`s true. My point is that when a certain individual walked out the front door of corporate America he didn`t take "his" products with him. He might have bought some products from his previous employer or bought the right to manufacture certain products. There`s no way some guy in a lab coat is risking legal action from a multi billion dollar corporation.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread Information