Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DIY Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Detail

So yesterday I polished my new 2024 tundra and installed my very first ceramic coating. Truck was literally a day old so not really any correction needed, basically a nice deep “paint cleaning”. I used a harbour freight rotary, DIY red waffle pad, and DIY spray polish.

I first “met” Yvan on YouTube when he was with optimum, and guest appearing with the rag company. I was intrigued with his “synergistic” methods, use of rotary (they are not scary although I was nervous with a new truck), spray polishes, etc.

if you told me 30 years ago I’d be polishing a new truck with a rotary, and one pad I’d call you crazy.

I still have some optimum products, and p&s iron remover, meguiars hyper wash to use up. And some 3D supersoak.

I did use DIY detail polish, red waffle pad, 8 year coating, AND 3 year coating. The entire truck got an 8 year coating, and then after a 2 hour wait, the entire truck MINUS the roof got eh 3 year stacked on top (DIY had a recent video on stacking). I left the roof with only the 8 year for testing purpose.

i presoaked for 5 minutes with 3D Supersoak. Rinse. ONR prerinse, followed by ONR wash. While still wet with ONR I used iron remover (as a lube) and a clay towel from optimum to do a quick decon. Rinse. I did a 5 minute foam with meguiars hyper wash simply because I had it on hand and want to use it up (I’m a rinseless guy now). A very quick towel dry to remove standing water and we were ready.

I polished as per YVAN protocol. Using the lake country pad washer (absolutely fantastic) I washed the pad after each section pass, and when each panel was complete I wiped off with an ONR dampened towel, followed by a dry towel. (I contemplated wiping with panel prep at the same time to avoid going all the way around the truck again but left that for last, just before the coating)

I absolutely love the rotary now. Red pad was very nice to work with. The polish is great. No dusting, it smells great, and I will never use a conventional polish again. Spray polish. It is the way. Optimum is the only other spray polish I’ve used. Optimum is fine but it smells ‘chemically” whereas DIY is banana-ish. Long working time. I was surprised how little polish I used on a big truck.

I was nervous using a ceramic coating the first time. I can’t compare it to other coatings, but it was a joy to apply. Way easier than a traditional wax or sealant. Certainly faster. I used jescar powerlock in the past. It’s super easy to remove, but diy ceramic doesn’t have to be removed. It just needs to be gently wiped with a short nap, followed by a plush wipe as a back up.

im sold on the ceramic coating. Even if they last only 1 year I’d still use them simply because you more or less apply, and walk away. **I did have to wait 2 hours between the 8, and 3 year**.

the only negitive (it didn’t bother me much but may be a factor to some) is the strong chemical smell. Not sure if it’s exclusive to Diydetail or as I suspect it’s common to coatings.

time will tell if the coatings hold up, and now instead of twice a year polish/wax I will simply “touch up” the coatings with tree sap remover, and an iron remover decon with clay towel. And if I hand wash I’ll use diy ceramic gloss or maybe quick beads.

I was surprised how much coating was left over. I think I’ll have enough to coat my wife’s rav.

Moving forward it’s diy detail for polish and coatings. And I think as I use up my old stock of optimum I will switch over. (Still keeping my optiseal, and optimum car wax as I change my dads winter tires and when I do I give him a “wash, clay, and,wax with optiseal as a drying aid to get home through the winter.)

hopefully I’m able to upload a pic.

*funny story about the rav in the truck reflection. It’s the same year, and color as my wife’s rav. Literally as I finished with the coating some dude (in the rav) pulls into my driveway because he noticed the tundra as he drove by to say “holly crap nice truck man!Is it ever shiny.”I thought it was my wife home from work early and some dude gets out of the driver side. Was freaked out at first. lol.
    Likes noorth, mikeinauburn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Their rinseless is nice. I did a YouTube review of it.

DIY Detail Rinseless review-first use! - YouTube
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta think about it like this….when a company goes to a manufacturer like 3D, P&S, Optimum, B&B, LC, Rupes, etc, do you really think they’re giving them a better version of the flagship product they already sell? At best, you’re getting the equivalent, but either with a different color or smell. Far from revolutionary, despite the marketing they use to spin things. There’s also the small chance that companies have stolen formulas from another company and try their best at replicating them with another manufacturer. Again, almost identical. What’s even crazier is when the prices of their products are higher than the company’s product they’re copying or re-blending. Makes them look even more sus in my book. That’s why I stick to the companies I mentioned that make the products and not the wannabes trying to get the low hanging fruit by making everyone think they’re special.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Thanks CleanIt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its a decent rinseless. No better than mckee`s N914.

I would never buy the gallon with so many excellent rinselesses on the market so it is a bit of a scam IMO. And to be frank i`m not a fan of the contrived owner of DIY from canada.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    And to be frank i`m not a fan of the contrived owner of DIY from canada.
    Are you saying he`s a "managing partner"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think he means Canadian distribution…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Gotta think about it like this….when a company goes to a manufacturer like 3D, P&S, Optimum, B&B, LC, Rupes, etc, do you really think they’re giving them a better version of the flagship product they already sell? At best, you’re getting the equivalent, but either with a different color or smell. Far from revolutionary, despite the marketing they use to spin things. There’s also the small chance that companies have stolen formulas from another company and try their best at replicating them with another manufacturer. Again, almost identical. What’s even crazier is when the prices of their products are higher than the company’s product they’re copying or re-blending. Makes them look even more sus in my book. That’s why I stick to the companies I mentioned that make the products and not the wannabes trying to get the low hanging fruit by making everyone think they’re special.

DIY rinsless is actually less than ONR (in Canada anyway). I only use spray polish and have tried optimum, and DIY. The both perform the same and are easy to use. Optimum has a chemical smell, DIY kinda like banana. All else equal I’d prefer the banana smell so even “at best” the smell is different that can be a good thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Its a decent rinseless. No better than mckee`s N914.

I would never buy the gallon with so many excellent rinselesses on the market so it is a bit of a scam IMO. And to be frank i`m not a fan of the contrived owner of DIY from canada.
    why is it a scam? DIY rinsless is cheaper than onr. Why are you not a fan of Yvan? Is it that he bounced to a few different companies in a short span, then now makes his own? Do you not like his methods? Don’t like Canadians? lol.

Post Thanks / Like

it’s confusing. Yvan has said he was approached by a “company” to be their spokesperson. Yvan recommended Nick. They wanted Yvan so Yvan said it had to be both. Then they were given part ownership in the company.

but in other YouTube videos (not diy Chanel) Yvan and Nick are refered to as “the owners” of Diydetail.

I have no idea the actual structure.

I’ve only used their pads, polish, and coatings. The polish is better than any other non spray polish out there, but equal to optimum (diy smells better).

‘’their coating is the only one I’ve ever tried. It was a good experience but I can’t compare it to anything else.

the pads were, well just pads. They claim a unique foam. I have no idea.

as to the method, or process Yvan is bang on. Eliminate steps (use iron remover as a lube for clay towel) and save time. Use a rotary, low speed, no pressure, and always use a clean damp pad (pad washer after each pass). I polished my truck with one pad. Use rinsless to wipe off polish. It’s all good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    DIY rinsless is actually less than ONR (in Canada anyway). I only use spray polish and have tried optimum, and DIY. The both perform the same and are easy to use. Optimum has a chemical smell, DIY kinda like banana. All else equal I’d prefer the banana smell so even “at best” the smell is different that can be a good thing
    DIY might be cheaper than ONR in gallons. Its a good rinseless.If you like it fill your boots.

Post Thanks / Like

it’s confusing. Yvan has said he was approached by a “company” to be their spokesperson. Yvan recommended Nick. They wanted Yvan so Yvan said it had to be both. Then they were given part ownership in the company.

but in other YouTube videos (not diy Chanel) Yvan and Nick are refered to as “the owners” of Diydetail.

I have no idea the actual structure.

I’ve only used their pads, polish, and coatings. The polish is better than any other non spray polish out there, but equal to optimum (diy smells better).
    Well, my "managing partner" comment was sarcasm, based on Mike Phillips` position at AutoForge. I don`t think he was there long enough for the lawyers to have had time to have drawn up partnership papers and then dissolved them, so I take all these "ownership" statements with a grain of salt.

And the Optimum spray polishes smell terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

A gallon of ONR is $30 and a quart is $12. Their spray polish is $20. Optimum has always been known for having unique chemical smells to their polishes. Extra bonus points for being able to use their coatings over them without needing to strip anything.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my "managing partner" comment was sarcasm, based on Mike Phillips` position at AutoForge. I don`t think he was there long enough for the lawyers to have had time to have drawn up partnership papers and then dissolved them, so I take all these "ownership" statements with a grain of salt.

when did Mike leave auto forge? Where is he now?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    A gallon of ONR is $30 and a quart is $12. Their spray polish is $20. Optimum has always been known for having unique chemical smells to their polishes. Extra bonus points for being able to use their coatings over them without needing to strip anything.
    how do you mean? Optimum coatings over the polish without panel prep??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information