Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Cannon Newbie questions

I`m looking at getting a foam cannon for really dirty car situations. Think driving a couple of hours on snow/salt covered road or long road trips.

Questions
    1 - How good is the lubrication of various foam shampoos? I`ve seen lots of Youtube reviews on which shampoo foams the most but none on testing lubrication. Which would be more difficult.

2 - Most videos show foaming as a pre-wash to remove the worst dirt. What wash method do you use after that? Foam again and agitate with a wash mitt, rinse in bucket or traditional 2 bucket method or ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Cannon Newbie questions

I use my foam cannon every wash. The main purpose for me is lubrication, but maybe it will bring a little bit of dirt off of the surface (most PH soaps won`t do much in the way of cleaning).

Testing lubrication is subjective, difficult to quantify, and dependent on a multitude of factors (dilution, pressure washer, foam cannon etc.)

If I choose to prewash—most of my cars don`t get dirty enough to bother—I`ll use either OPC or BH Touch-less in a pump sprayer on a dry surface. Yes, a dry surface. I`ve found it is more effective contrary to common belief. After letting it soak for a couple of minutes—I`ll fill my wash and rinse bucket during this time—I`ll rinse with my PW, foam my shampoo of choice over the vehicle, and agitate with a mitt using the two bucket method.

I REALLY like CarPro Reset (thanks for the recommendation folks) in both a bucket and foam cannon, though it should be noted that CarPro states it may degrade some waxes and sealants as it`s intended for use with coatings. I`ll give the OG Adam`s Shampoo an honorable mention too. I add 100ml of soap to 700ml of water with these soaps in my MTM PF22.

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Cannon Newbie questions

A foam cannon treatment isn’t going to remove bulk of the dirt if using a PH neutral snow foam. It hopefully removes the bigger heavier things you could wipe into your paint during a bucket wash. The idea is to remove as much as possible before a contact wash.

As stated before to get a deep clean I use an Alklaline pre wash. Get’s a lot of the dirt and grime off. The only negative is alkaline washes can remove /weaken LSP (waxes/sealants). I will still use and just plan to add/top monthly. Not to worried about Alky soaps on a coating.

To follow up if still pretty dirty I do a 1 bucket wash. Fill a bucket half full with soap and water with a GritGaurd and drop in 7-10 mitts. Clean one to two panels with one mitt then toss it aside. Get another clean mitt till car is clean.

If it wasn’t really dirty after pre wash I may just do a rinseless or Ammo Frothe wash.

Soaps I use for prewash are Bilt Hamber Touchless, AutoFoam (alkaline) and Griots Surface wash (ph neutral)

For the bucket right now I’m rotating between CarPro Reset, Bilt Hamber AutoWash and Tacs Systems Mystic Bubble. All are good soaps.

TSMB and reset are PH neutral and BHAW is PH 9. I wouldn’t worry about any of them harming your protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

What is better a foam gun or a foam canon. What are they used for. Also can you wash your car with out one. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bull6791 View Post
    What is better a foam gun or a foam canon. What are they used for. Also can you wash your car with out one. Thanks
    A foam gun is hooked to a hose. A foam cannon is run by a pressure washer. There are also foamers such as IK Foam Pro 2 or 12.

Definitely isn’t required but the idea is to use as a pre-rinse to remove some dirt from the paint before a contact wash or as extra lubrication when doing a contact wash. Some use both a prerinse and as part of a wash for maximum protection of paint during a wash.
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s what I do:
    Rinse with pressure sprayer
    Pre-treat certain areas like front bumper, side skirts etc with APC, bug/tar remover etc as necessary
    Foam cannon
    Rinse with pressure sprayer

Sometimes, if car is dirty or I just want to, I use the 1 bucket method *GASP* with soap and wash medium.

Also-
    I tried 2 of the cheap Amazon foam cannons to connect to the pressure washer.
    They never produced as much foam as you want. Finally realized that its because I bought cheap knockoffs.

$69 Griots Brilliant Finish Foam Cannon is magnificent.

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes a really good foam gun. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes a really good foam gun. Thanks
    I use the one sold by Autogeek...link below. Have had it for about five years (I think) with no issues. Noteworthy is the nozzle that comes with it.....pretty crappy. You can find better ones, with a threaded end which you will need, at Lowes/Home Depot

Autogeek Quart Foamaster Foam Gun FREE BONUS!

Tried to link the nozzle I use, but could not. It`s called the Orbit Pro 1-Pattern Adjustable Nozzle, and is 10.98 at Lowes

Post Thanks / Like

How do you all keep the foam from drying on the surface of the car, especially a larger vehicle?

When doing a transitional bucket wash I have to be very strategic in my approach to ensure I minimize water spots and/or soap drying on the surface. I have zero shade over my driveway and many times washing in the early mornings or evenings simply isn`t an option.

For a little car like my BRZ the drying problem wouldn`t be a real issues, because I can wash that thing really quickly. The family SUV...not so much considering size and the fact I have to use a step ladder to wash the roof.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a foam cannon always run some fresh water (without soap) through when you are finished that way there is a screen inside your foam cannon that won`t get clogged up with dry soap.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I run a constant stream of lubricating foam from my foam gun over a panel at a time while I wash The smaller the area you concentrate on at a time, the better the results IME
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun: what companies make a really good one meaning one that will last. Bill D what brand is your foam gun. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun for a garden hose. I always thought Gilmours made a really good one but I don’t know. That is why I am asking. Thanks
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Foam gun: what companies make a really good one meaning one that will last. Bill D what brand is your foam gun. Thanks
    My foam guns are Gilmour. Although they last for a good long time, they don’t last forever. I like the brass construction and the long output of solution they provide
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill. Do you have the foam master or foam master 2. I am just trying to find out which one of the gilmours foam guns to buy. Thanks so much and thanks for answering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information