The "unique" V-shape makes this tool, as stated, a design for either ergonomics and balance AND/OR easier accessibility into curves and recesses in automotive exterior panels. I guess I need to see it in action to understand this design shape. If you have not viewed the link in OP`s beginning post, you need to do so to see the "unique" shape of this polisher and what I am surmising/postulating for its design purposes.
I also see it is limited to a 3" pad/backing plate (75mm) and its 12mm throw makes this tool for what it is: spot correcting and polishing. The published 35 minute run time on a full charge MIGHT also be part of that intended purpose of spot polishing.

Are cordless polishers the "trend" for new detailing tools? I would say "yes" given the fact how much power is being generated through current (no pun intended!) battery pack technology. The downside is cost, limited run times, and overall polisher weight. The plus is not having to lug an electric cord everywhere or be limited to an electrical outlet location. That plus might be THE reason some detailer may NEED this tool or any cordless power tool. It might benefit mobile detailers or dealership/car lot detailers who may want to fix a spot in customer`s driveway or on a large car lot where access to an electrical outlet might be limited or non-existent.
I know those of you detailers who have migrated to cordless polishes mention not having to worry about draping an electrical cord over your shoulder to prevent scratching an exterior paint (just good, common-sense detailing practice) as being a big plus. Or stepping or tripping on the cord or having the male plug connector unplug from an extension cord at an inopportune time. If you`ve detailed long enough with corded polishers or worked with any corded power tools, you know what I am talking about.

Off topic, but here`s a detailing tip I`ve used with corded polishers. I use 3/4"-wide blue/red/green painter`s tape that you SHOULD have for taping off trim or seals while correcting and polishing to hold the male electrical connector end of the polisher into the female electrical connector of an extension cord and wind the tape around both connectors to keep them from coming apart. I know there are special connector tools you can add to cords just for this purpose, but if you don`t have one and rather than tying the two cords in loop knots to keep them together ( I do not like bending electrical cords in loops!), tape works just as well for me.