Post Thanks / Like

Talk me into (or out of) a big boi or similar.

So currently I have a 20,year old toro blower. Corded. It works. I blow off most of the water, and then finish drying with towels and beadmaker/megs spray wax.

‘’it works, but I use the blower for paint only. It’s cumbersome and heavy.

I thought about a cordless blower but same issues. Hold it over head to blast the roof, tiring etc.

so I’m looking at the big boi mini+ (maybe pro). Does the same thing as the toro, but I figure it’d be way easier to use a hose instead of a larger blower. I’d likely use it on tires/wheels/grills, etc. I currently don’t use the toro for all this stuff (too heavy).

the toro is a pain also because I have to unwind an extension cord and plug it on. (Eliminated with cordless blower purchase but still cumbersome?)

the Bigboi would be hung on the wall, ready to go. This is very attractive to me.

‘’money doesn’t grow on trees, and I’m not a bazilionaire, but I can swing a Bigboi.

should I?

did you? Would you? Regrets?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talk me into (or out of) a big boi or similar.

Have you looked at the Ryobi One+ 18V cordless Compact Workshop Blower??
    I assume the "wpg" part of your name means Winnipeg, Canada, so I do not know about the availability or price of Ryobi tools in your country.
    Looks small and lightweight (IE, easy to maneuver and handle), but not sure it has the "oomph" (IE, Cubic Feet per Minute of air-volume displacement/movement power) you need for blowing off the water entirely from your vehicle, especially if it is a large SUV or truck.

Your conundrum of looking for a small, but powerful blower for rinse water removal/blow-off by a 2-bucket vehicle wash is a perfect opportunity for some detailing or tool equipment manufacturer to develop one specifically designed for that purpose. There is definitely a need for such a detailing tool. Unfortunately, I do not think the market is that "large" and hence, we detailers are stuck "re-purposing" leaf blowers for such a task.

What model Toro leaf blower do you have?
    I use a corded Toro Model 51619 Variable-Speed leaf blower myself. Yes, it is heavy to lift up to get to the roof of low-profile vehicles while standing on the ground. And, yes, I have a platform step ladder I stand on to access the middle of the roof high-profile vehicles, like tall SUVs and trucks, and get the right angle on for water blow-off.

By the way, there is a foam guard for the end of leaf-blower nozzles to prevent accidental paint scratches when using it on a vehicle for water blow-off developed by a fellow Autopian, estcsmt3.
    Worth considering, since such accidents "happen" sooner-or-later, despite out best careful efforts using a leaf-blower!
    Reference: Do you dry your car with a leaf blower? Must have accessory!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

This is similar to a traditional vacume vs central vac. Central vac is more powerful and the hose is easier to maneuver.

my set up is like your…. I use a step stool to do the truck roof. But man the blower is cumbersome, corded or not.

I really like the Bigboi (or metro) concept. But I also like not spending money if I don’t have to.

after shipping and currency conversion I’d be into this thing for 500 bucks. Not nothing, but also not life savings

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Big Boi Mini+. I like it alot. Heated air, blows like crazy. In fact it is good enough you don`t need to step up to the Pro or now the new Pro+. A few things to consider, the wall mount for both the unit and hose are extra. And if yoir going to get one get the 30 foot hose, it is way more convenient than the 15 that comes with it for something like a truck or SUV. This is what I did, great setup. If you want to wheel it around you can also get the dolly for it, I have mo experience with that. Now, when you get up to tje Mini+ and Pro models I advise a 20amp breaker. I put one in after tripping my smaller plugs. Not all the time, but if did trip them. It is a great setup, in fact Esoteric did a video in which Todd said the Mini+ is his pick for home use hobbyist out of the lineup.

Now, I also have an Ego 650 leaf blower. I admit I use it most of the time. I just like to be able to hop around the vehicle freely as bouncey as I wish. It blows like a beast. But you said you kind of want to avoid the weight of holding a unit for a period of time, which is to be respected too.

So if giving you honest advise based on what you want, I say the Mini+ is big enough for what you want out of the lineup. But just order it from Carzilla up here. My advise if your not in a hurry, wait to one of the sales, 10% off. That helps us Canucks out after all our other trudeau taxes. They don`t have sales often, but if yoir in no rush, that`s your best route to the unit you want and cost savings you would enjoy.
    If you want one now, probably the best price your gonna find to your door for us up here.

Just checked, $442CDN from them, wait for one of the sales, $400.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through same thought process and usually blow dry my car out of garage so wall hanger not an option.

Even if I could the idea of being able to go through a touchless wash and bringing my ego to dry in the winter won over.

As for the roof if you don’t want to hold over head I would dry with a twisted loop MF.

Personally if I could dry in garage I would by the Mini and an Ego 765.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Are these not over priced dog Dryers? I have seen equivalent specs for as little as $110.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the metro vac it’s a great piece of equipment I have the two Motor unit that warms the air it’s made in the USA I have one that’s lasted me seven years and Another it’s about two years old at a vacation home, both work awesome.
    Likes FunctionalDoc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Are these not over priced dog Dryers? I have seen equivalent specs for as little as $110.
    Like a Lamborghini Aventador is an overpriced Honda Civic…..

Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No matter which brand you choose, I found that an air dryer w a long hose is one of the best detailing `things` I`ve spent money on.

Like many things, personal preference, ease of use & overall personal `abilities & tendencies` plays a role. I`ve used the leaf blower styled tools but I`m too lazy/clumsy to effectively dry a car without banging into it so a hose w a rubber tipped nozzle is necessary to alleviate my ineptness. I`ve accepted that sometimes I need to spend some extra $$ to make up for my individual shortcomings. Pretty much the same reasoning that keeps my foam cannon on the end of a shorty gun as opposed to one of the 24" lances.

"Know thyself..." as it were. Talk me into (or out of) a big boi or similar.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes dgage, Coatings=crack, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is still for a corded blower with an AirWand hooked up to it. With the blower hanging off my shoulder via its strap, manipulating the corrugated hose + AirWand always seems easy as could be, but that`s just me. And yeah, I still use the compressor to blow out the nooks and crannies better, so it`s not like one thing does it all for me.

EDIT: Hmmm, since you don`t like [messing] with the electrical cord, I wonder if there`s some feasible way to hook up a good cordless blower to the AirWand?

Somehow the idea of going around the vehicle with a long corrugated hose of the Big Boi (wall-mounted or not) just leaves me cold, no way I`d ever like that...but again, that`s just me.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can find a good compatible cordless blower, I will consider putting my AirWand back in action again.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    If I can find a good compatible cordless blower, I will consider putting my AirWand back in action again.
    Don’t know if it’s compatible but the Ego 765 is a beast and dries car well.

Thread Information