Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ONR vs N-914

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes TTBear, Ollever, BMWWW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR vs N-914

That`s a a lot of fun. ONR is just the most amazing thing. Nothing has ever replaced it for me as a Rinseless, but there are better Waterless washes and MUCH better QDs, but as a Rinseless Wash, it`s still the champ IMO.
    Likes tyusaf liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That test is cool looking and it shows how ONR works. But the test doesn’t really prove anything in terms of a comparison. Look at other regular car wash soaps. They aren’t going to separate out either but they have been proven to work over long term use and tests. The same then can go for the N419.

I buy ONR by the gallon and I have bought and used the N419 as well. I find N419 slicker in the wash feeling but I prefer using MF wash tools instead of the foam sponges because the foaming seems to cause me some frustration when filling and squeezing the sponges. I don’t get that when using MF.

One of my complaints with ONR has always been the staining of the wash media. I think it comes from the zwitter ionic formula that this test shows. But other rinseless washes don’t have that issue because they are formulated and go about it differently.
    Likes CleanIt, PearTree liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

One of my complaints with ONR has always been the staining of the wash media. I think it comes from the zwitter ionic formula that this test shows.
    That was always my gripe with ONR also. The latest formula isn`t supposed to do that anymore, or at least be significantly improved. I bought a small bottle of the new formula (both flavors), but I haven`t gotten to try them yet, still using the old stuff up. I guess it`s already been almost a year and a half since they came out with this V.4 formula, the ONRWW new formula came a little later: New Formula ONR
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I used an older version. The thing I didn`t like is that it didn`t wipe clean and left a sticky residue. This was most apparent on vinyl decals. To me Duragloss Rinseless is a better product. Also, soy based products might be acidic. I know that some soy based products can`t be shipped by pipeline.

Post Thanks / Like

For me when using a WW I don’t like ones that get beaded up by surface protection I always felt wiping a a pane with beaded up onr or 914 would lead to scratches. The only product that sets the whole surface for me is Feynlab rinseless there maybe more because I have not tried them all. Between the 2 u posted 914 was better I thought good post

Post Thanks / Like

ONR leaves a bit behind on the panel, I like using Griots Brilliant Finish as it leaves nothing behind and also does a good job of separating the dirt and Feynlab Pure Rinseless as it is just so effective and also leaves nothing behind.
    Good old ADHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    That test is cool looking and it shows how ONR works. But the test doesn’t really prove anything in terms of a comparison. Look at other regular car wash soaps. They aren’t going to separate out either but they have been proven to work over long term use and tests. The same then can go for the N419.

I buy ONR by the gallon and I have bought and used the N419 as well. I find N419 slicker in the wash feeling but I prefer using MF wash tools instead of the foam sponges because the foaming seems to cause me some frustration when filling and squeezing the sponges. I don’t get that when using MF.

One of my complaints with ONR has always been the staining of the wash media. I think it comes from the zwitter ionic formula that this test shows. But other rinseless washes don’t have that issue because they are formulated and go about it differently.
    Agreed. I`ve used quite a bit of both. N-914 has more cleaning power and feels slicker. I also use multiple MF towels and a prespray. That being said, I`d be comfortable using either rinseless washes.

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    ONR leaves a bit behind on the panel, I like using Griots Brilliant Finish as it leaves nothing behind and also does a good job of separating the dirt and Feynlab Pure Rinseless as it is just so effective and also leaves nothing behind.
    This always seems up for debate. Yvan Lacroix, when he worked for optimum, said that ONR "hypercleans" and doesn`t leave anything behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you ceramic coat on top of an entirely clean and panel wiped car, that has then been rinseless washed with ONR? I have seen side by side chemical resistance tests of waxes and sealants applied on an ONR cleaned section and a panel wiped section and I some cases, the ONR sections start to fail quicker.
    Good old ADHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, interesting info! FWIW...

Maybe the more recent formulations are different from what I have, but my ONR *absolutely* leaves [something] behind. After a few years of using it as my household dusting spray, the items I`ve used it on have a shiny/slick/"just waxed" effect that`s impossible to disregard.

Similarly, whenever I used that version of ONR (by itself) on wheels, they were a *bear* to clean the next time!

So at least some versions do leave stuff behind, and/but whether that`s a bug or a feature is situational/subjective.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    Would you ceramic coat on top of an entirely clean and panel wiped car, that has then been rinseless washed with ONR? I have seen side by side chemical resistance tests of waxes and sealants applied on an ONR cleaned section and a panel wiped section and I some cases, the ONR sections start to fail quicker.
    Here’s a response on the N914 video

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes roscopervis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With the help of my witness, I rest my case m’lud.
    Good old ADHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Well as far as how to clean wash media that has been used with ONR, here`s my thread on this very subject
    The summation/final analysis/subjective conclusion is in post #30 (there`s more good discussion beyond that post about cleaning wash media!):
    Help Cleaning Dirty Microfiber Wash Media After using ONR

Edit: In the Setec Astronomy`s "New Formua ONR" linked thread, I linked THE SAME microfiber cleaning thread as I have above. I guess the old axiom "History repeats itself" is true! Or more-so, "The left hand knoweth not what the right hand doeth." (Or how `bout, "You`re an idiot, Captain Obvious!")

I never did get a good answer to my question about which wash media is best for using with a Rinselss Wash in the above linked about cleaning wash media used with ONR.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    This always seems up for debate. Yvan Lacroix, when he worked for optimum, said that ONR "hypercleans" and doesn`t leave anything behind.
    Seems like an important tidbit...

I feel like sharing my experience with the two requires the preface "The version of ONR I have", since I don`t know how to identify what generation formula it is (I think the bottle says "new formula", but what does that even mean without a date?).

I bought ONR when it was a real forum darling (here and on AG). I feel like love for it waned for a while and it seems to be having a resurgence (at least regarding how much it gets talked about - I know the people that love it never stop loving it). It`s definitely a great product to have on hand, but ironically of all the things to use it for, Rinseless washing is the last thing I do with it. I stopped using it for that after confirming that the car accumulated more bonded road film when I was using ONR vs other rinseless washes or other wash types with the same LSP (If memory serves, I was high on Optimum at the time so I believe it was Opti-Seal at the time).This was based on car appearance, not what was showing up on the wash media FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, interesting info! FWIW...

Maybe the more recent formulations are different from what I have, but my ONR *absolutely* leaves [something] behind. After a few years of using it as my household dusting spray, the items I`ve used it on have a shiny/slick/"just waxed" effect that`s impossible to disregard.

Similarly, whenever I used that version of ONR (by itself) on wheels, they were a *bear* to clean the next time!

So at least some versions do leave stuff behind, and/but whether that`s a bug or a feature is situational/subjective.
    My experience echoes yours regarding how it does leave something behind (your wheels being harder to clean sounds like my road film issue).

My most frequent use for ONR these days is as a floor cleaner at home - hardwood/linoleum/tile, it works well to clean but not leave the floor so slick that either my 7yo or either Great Dane mix are yard sailing every time they hit the hard floor.

It does work well for melting people funk off of hard plastics (turn signal/wiper stalks, light switches, etc). I like the ONR WW better for doing wood trim inside cars.

I also use it all the time at work after I`ve done a major underhood repair to clean and "dress" the underhood plastics - leaves everything looking fresh but not greasy. This is on civilian cars; If I had someone that actually looked like they actually had their car some level of detailed I wouldn`t mess with something that could leave something behind.

For N-914, it`s worked fine for me.

I actually prefer the experience with the Griot`s Brilliant Finish Rinseless slightly better (just seems to final wipe easier for me), though I`m not 1000% sure that the Griot`s in fact leaves nothing behind. I`ve used the Griot`s as a glass cleaner for the house and it seemed like there was more water beading than you`d expect for plain ol house glass, but truth be told I don`t remember what I used prior (that could have left something behind. I feel like Sonax Glass cleaner may also leave something, but again I`ve not done any scientific testing).

That being said, even if the Griot`s is leaving a dash of something behind, I`ve not had any change in water behavior of the LSP nor the road film issue I had with ONR, so it`s nothing that would ever stop me from using it.
    Likes CleanIt, wannafbody, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks CleanIt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I never did get a good answer to my question about which wash media is best for using with a Rinselss Wash in the above linked about cleaning wash media used with ONR.
    I`m afraid that`s going to be entirely subjective but I personally like to use "bone" type microfiber sponges, actually my favorite is the old Meguiar`s QD sponges from almost 20 years ago that I picked up a lot of at Big Lots--when the sponge breaks down inside after a number of washings, it becomes something like a cross between a MF sponge and an MF towel. I have bought some of the hairier MF sponges from TRC/MFT/MM...trying to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I feel like sharing my experience with the two requires the preface "The version of ONR I have", since I don`t know how to identify what generation formula it is (I think the bottle says "new formula", but what does that even mean without a date?).
    I feel like I went through a version dating somewhere in another thread, I actually have "V.3" sharpied on one of my bottles to keep track. As you note, when they come out with a new version, they just put that "new version" label on it, which doesn`t help. One thing to note is that V.3 was when they changed over to transparent bottles from the translucent, if that helps you any.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    My most frequent use for ONR these days is as a floor cleaner at home - hardwood/linoleum/tile, it works well to clean but not leave the floor so slick that either my 7yo or either Great Dane mix are yard sailing every time they hit the hard floor.
    I too, perhaps inspired by Accumulator, have been using ONR as a floor cleaner and dusting aid to try and use up the old stuff. A couple times I used UWW and it was very slippery.

As to your other comment about the waxing and waning of ONR enthusiasm, I was one of the many who being an Optimum fan at the time, ultimately moved on to other rinseless washes like DG, WG, although I circled back a bit when ONRWW came out, but that still had the staining problem, so I bought a big jug of Ech2O when they were blowing them out when they changed from gallons to liters or something (that stuff is really in a different class of product, not really relevant in this discussion). Over on the Optimum forum people are gushing about the goodness of the new versions of ONR, so I`m hoping when I eventually get to use the new versions (about 2029 based on my current car wash rate), they will be good.
    Likes Oneheadlite, Lonnie liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information