Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ONR vs N-914

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR vs N-914

If anyone has had issues with ONR, such as it being grabby and not slick, try De-ionized water.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wax Addict:
    I assume you have some type of de-ionizing water filtering system, like a CR Spotless, to MAKE de-ionized water at home of your water supply, whether it be residential well of ground water or municipal (local government department) water.

Since this thread has been focused more on discussing ONR and its various refinements/reformulations/versions, one question I have is, "Does ONR soften hard water"? Or is this a wife`s tail/conspiracy theory/detailing myth? I thought that I remember reading somewhere in this forum that by adding ONR to hard water (IE, any water with a high-dissolved naturally-occurring mineral content, like calcium or sulfur, along with the wash soap of choice (specifically Optimum`s Car Wash Soap) for a two-bucket wash, it was SUPPOSE to "soften" the water due to ONR`s encapsulation properties. Yes, I have tried this, but my subjective analysis came to no definitive conclusion as to its effectiveness in softening hard water and making the soap more "foamy" or allowing it to rinse cleaner, especially since the rinse water is hard water by itself. (DAHHHH, Captain Obvious!)
    Any thoughts or opinions or experiences by fellow Autopians??

FYI, to understand what the difference is between distilled water and de-ionized water is, here is what I posted in a thread on Zero Water filter systems from February, 2017:
    Some people are confusing distilled water with de-ionized water.
    Distilled water is water that is turned into steam (or vapor) and then condensed back into liquid form, but without most of (but not all) of the minerals, chemicals, and contaminants that may have been found in the original water source. Multiple distillations will produce an almost pure, mineral-free water.
    Deionized water is deeply demineralized, ultrapure water used in microelectronics, printed circuit boards, instrument manufacture, pharmacy, washing liquids, etc. In order to obtain the high quality, pure de-ionized water a multi-stage water purification process can be used. After pre-cleaning, the water is supplied to the reverse osmosis membrane, and then the water is filtered through a special deionization medium, which removes the rest of the ions in the water. The purity of deionized water can exceed the purity of distilled water. I think that`s the type of water a CR-Spotless water filter system produces, although not to clean-room or laboratory specifications, but mineral-free enough for car washing, so that when used a rinsing solution, it will not leave mineral-spots if left to dry (evaporate) on its own without the aid or use of some type of drying medium (air blow-off or chamois or microfiber waffle-weave drying towel). Those of you who have to use hard water know the pain this can cause when washing a car with the traditional 2-bucket method. It`s also the reason so many of you have changed over to rinse-less washes like Optimum Polymer Technologies No-Rinse (or ONR, as it`s know here) and use distilled or deionized water for this expressed reason.

I would think that the water filtration system to produce Zero Water is similar to a Brita filter to produce clean, healthy tap drinking water. One other thing that a Brita filter does is to filter out cryptosporidium (amoeba) that can cause serious health issues. This is especially true in areas that have ground water contamination from farm-waste (manure) run-off. (like the Dairy State of Wisconsin, with its fractured karst limestone bedrock). I have no idea how much heavy metals (lead, mercury, arsenic, radium) are eliminated because they do not use a reverse-osmosis process or distillation process, but it must be enough to meet current EPA drinking water guidelines and standards.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re using a rinseless wash, isn`t having a product that that can encapsulate the dirt and drop it to the bottom what you want? Just because another rinseless wash feels slicker or leavings nothing behind isn`t necessarily what makes a good rinseless wash. Why not use a quick detailer then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIt View Post
    If you`re using a rinseless wash, isn`t having a product that that can encapsulate the dirt and drop it to the bottom what you want? Just because another rinseless wash feels slicker or leavings nothing behind isn`t necessarily what makes a good rinseless wash. Why not use a quick detailer then?
    I guess the answer to that depends on how you`re using a rinseless wash, if you are using it in a bucket, then having suspended solids settle out is very important. If you`re using the "multiple media method" where you aren`t returning the dirty media to the wash or rinse bucket, it would seem a less important characteristic. The other discussion we could have is what is the particle size of those suspended solids that are clouding the water--your tap water can also have solids in it. I have a whole-house filter, and although it doesn`t get as dirty as I thought it would, it definitely gets rust and grit in it. So the clean tap water people may be using likely has some particles in it also--are they large enough to cause a problem?
    Thanks CleanIt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite & SETEC- Heh heh, I *JUST* logged on there after having finished ONRing the upstairs, including the floors Nice to see that I`m not the only Autopian using ONR in the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Been a long time user of ONR in one way shape or form. Just purchased some N-914 to give a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Been a long time user of ONR in one way shape or form. Just purchased some N-914 to give a try.
    Ah, given your experience with ONR, I`ll be interested to hear what you think of the N-914. I`m still pretty much all about IUDJ, but I`m curious anyhow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information