Post Thanks / Like

Question What`s the best coating for using OVER Xpel Stealth PPF?

I`m going to be working on a TRX that will have Stealth PPF applied. What would you recommend as an appropriate coating to apply over this product?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s the best coating for using OVER Xpel Stealth PPF?

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I`m going to be working on a TRX that will have Stealth PPF applied. What would you recommend as an appropriate coating to apply over this product?
    In my experiences with anything applied to PPF for over 20 years, I have never seen anything that will adhere to PPF very long... It is not paint...

If any Coating makers claim their product adheres X number of months/years/etc., I would want to see their testing process that proves it, and it better have been tested for Years and passed the test...

In my experiences with Coating on my vehicles (and they are all coated), the PPF on the front ends I always have installed, is the first place the Coating disappears, quickly..

Yes, perhaps, if you keep putting a zillion toppers on the plastic, all the time, it will seem like the Coating is still there, but if so, why are you putting toppers on it all the time???

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    In my experiences with anything applied to PPF for over 20 years, I have never seen anything that will adhere to PPF very long... It is not paint...

If any Coating makers claim their product adheres X number of months/years/etc., I would want to see their testing process that proves it, and it better have been tested for Years and passed the test...

In my experiences with Coating on my vehicles (and they are all coated), the PPF on the front ends I always have installed, is the first place the Coating disappears, quickly..

Yes, perhaps, if you keep putting a zillion toppers on the plastic, all the time, it will seem like the Coating is still there, but if so, why are you putting toppers on it all the time???

Dan F
    Moral of the story is you can skip the coating and just apply our zillion toppers and be good to go.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d like a good answer to this exact question. I`ve buying a TRX and going to have it wrapped with Stealth PPF...and I`ll need something to coat it.

Back to the OP, I know that Xpel offers a coating called Fusion that they guarantee for 4 years on their PPF...so it must stick.
    Another, more readily available option would be the new Gyeon Q2 PPF or Gyeon Matte EVO...also made for Stealth-like PPF. I`ve talked to a couple of places that do PPF and detailing, and they say the Gyeon products works great on the PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

Dan F
    I think this is probably true. I’ve coated my ppf (full front bumper) with the rest of the car and left out the detached section of the hood to see if there was a difference but it’s hard to tell. Ppf is naturally hydrophobic and this coating doesn’t have a significant slick feel. I suppose a better way to test would be to split a large flat panel like the hood and observe the water behavior over time. I haven’t seen anyone do this but perhaps it’s on YouTube somewhere. Toppers in my experience extend the life coatings but you’re right, if whatever you’re using lasts well into the next wash/application the coating seems almost redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information