Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Alternatives to FK425

    For many years I have been using Finish Kare 1000p topped with FK425 and to me, the the appearance can`t be beaten.....longevity, deep gloss and even coming back from driving in the rain the car looks clean at 6 feet, all thanks to Accumulator who was right as usual.

    I have lots of 1000p but my FK425 supply is running low and I can`t find any distributers in Canada and the cost of shipping from the US is astronomical.

    I would appreciate thoughts on a FK425 alternative.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    86,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by jdover View Post
    For many years I have been using Finish Kare 1000p topped with FK425 and to me, the the appearance can`t be beaten.....longevity, deep gloss and even coming back from driving in the rain the car looks clean at 6 feet, all thanks to Accumulator who was right as usual.

    I have lots of 1000p but my FK425 supply is running low and I can`t find any distributers in Canada and the cost of shipping from the US is astronomical.

    I would appreciate thoughts on a FK425 alternative.
    So glad my advice worked out OK for you!

    FWIW, I`m so happy with sorta-strong mix of IUDJ that I sometimes debate not buying more FK425 should I ever run out. 100% compatible with the FK1000P and *almost* as nice despite not leaving things quite as slick.

    Garry Dean is, uhm....a character...but his Infinite Use Detail Juice is another of those products that`s both surprised and pleased me, and for what it is I simply love the stuff.

  3. #3
    Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    7,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Try TW Seal and Shine or the TWGreen Ceramic spray. Both are cheaper and superior to FK425 , especially in shedding dirt. SnS is also awesome at water spot removal. Heck after a while you might find yourself asking why you put FK1000p on at all.

  4. #4
    dcjredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Near Rochester, NY
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Pretty much ANY available QD or Spray wax/sealant. Ive used 425 in the past and really loved it. Beadmaker is good but there are so many others too
    Don

    1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

  5. #5
    SGM2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    From a sealant perspective, Sonax Polymer Net Shield with Sonax Brilliant Shine detailer as a maintenance topper is pretty bulletproof.
    Likes RPPM, Stokdgs liked this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Thank you all for your responses....I have homework to do.

    Accumulator, what is your "sorta-strong mix of IUDJ" used as an alternative to FK425? IUDJ looks interesting since it has many uses. Garry Dean`s youtube videos are certainly entertaining.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    FK425 is seriously old, outdated tech.

    I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread, but the reality is that it`s not durable, masks water behaviour. It`s anti static properties are significantly over stated and short lived. The good news is that LSPs have progressed a long long way.

    CarPro Ech2o eats it for breakfast with MUCH improved self cleaning. Easy to use, similar fantastic candy like gloss, slickness and lubrication for removing light smudges and water marks. CarPro Elixir is more durable, more hydrophobic but not quite as easy to use.

    Nv Boost is a hybrid betweem the two, but it`s pricey. Koch Chemie FSe is the only other QD I use occasionally, where the surface is feeling a little rough and there are light water spots to be removed.

    Gyeon Ceramic Detailer is next on my list to try!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Luxury Microfiber Revive as a QD and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax have been a pretty inexpensive and winning combo for me.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brookfield Ill.
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Luxury Microfiber Revive as a QD and Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax have been a pretty inexpensive and winning combo for me.
    I agree

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    86,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by jdover View Post
    Thank you all for your responses....I have homework to do.
    I`m wondering whether the other suggestions are compatible with the FK1000P, assuming you`re gonna stick with it. If you`re *not* sticking with it, I`d wonder whether the other products are as etching-resistant as I find the FK1000P to be. Note that I don`t really expect much from the Fk425, I think of it a my Drying Aid, and if it gives any boost to slickness/appearance, well...that`s just an added bonus.

    Accumulator, what is your "sorta-strong mix of IUDJ" used as an alternative to FK425? IUDJ looks interesting since it has many uses. Garry Dean`s youtube videos are certainly entertaining.
    Noting that I`m not at *all* precise about it, I use about 2oz IUDJ + 1gal distilled water.

    Heh heh, "entertaining" is one way to describe Garry, and probably more charitable that *I* would put it I sure do respect the guy though, he`s simply wonderful to do business with IME (I had a small issue that he completely *overkilled* responding to, he was great).

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Yes, I am going to stick with FK1000P for obvious reasons and to me FK425 certainly gives a boost to slickness and appearance.
    For a product that "is old, outdated tech" it sure looks great on my car and after going to many car shows haven`t seen anything of the new tech. that looks any better.

    Must be my 70 year old eyes but it looks like I have to bite the bullet and pay the bucks to import FK425. Your fault Accumulator, a few years ago you steered me in the direction of FK1000P and many years later, with all the latest fabulous technology? I haven`t found anything better. THANKS!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

  12. #12
    wannafbody
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Duragloss Rinseless wash in a weak concentration would probably work fine.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,629
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Duragloss Rinseless wash in a weak concentration would probably work fine.
    If you`re going to go Duragloss why not suggest Fast Clean & Shine (otherwise known to me as Z6), or Aquawax (otherwise known to me as diluted Z8)? I don`t have much to say about FK425, it never worked for me the way it did for other people, but my gallon froze on the way to me. It seemed just like any other QD, and I kind of think QD`s are obsolete in our era of waterless washes, and spray waxes/sealants (what I mean is, the things that people used to use QD`s for, bird bomb removal or touching up water spots after a wash, can be handled with a waterless wash, while if you are doing a post-wash wipedown for "pop" a spray wax is going to be even better).
    Likes craigdt liked this post

  14. #14
    wannafbody
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If you`re going to go Duragloss why not suggest Fast Clean & Shine (otherwise known to me as Z6), or Aquawax (otherwise known to me as diluted Z8)? I don`t have much to say about FK425, it never worked for me the way it did for other people, but my gallon froze on the way to me. It seemed just like any other QD, and I kind of think QD`s are obsolete in our era of waterless washes, and spray waxes/sealants (what I mean is, the things that people used to use QD`s for, bird bomb removal or touching up water spots after a wash, can be handled with a waterless wash, while if you are doing a post-wash wipedown for "pop" a spray wax is going to be even better).
    I don`t really use QD`s. I usually mix some rinseless wash as a QD since it has some cleaning ability and leaves something behind. And I`m only buying 1 product vs 2.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alternatives to FK425

    Quote Originally Posted by jdover View Post

    Must be my 70 year old eyes but it looks like I have to bite the bullet and pay the bucks to import FK425. Your fault Accumulator, a few years ago you steered me in the direction of FK1000P and many years later, with all the latest fabulous technology? I haven`t found anything better. THANKS!!
    Fwiw, it is not difficult to find an objectively `better` product than FK425.

    Each to their own, normally folks who don`t like change, and don`t receive advice well don`t ask for recommendations in the first place.



    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. QD better than FK425?
    By Mugen Power in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  2. FK425, why don`t I get it?
    By Dan in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 11:05 PM
  3. What do I use instead of FK425???
    By cobrar97 in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
  4. Ajt + Fk425??
    By maxpower in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
  5. OCW or FK425?
    By imported_john1c in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •