Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternatives to FK425

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Fwiw, it is not difficult to find an objectively `better` product than FK425.

Each to their own, normally folks who don`t like change, and don`t receive advice well don`t ask for recommendations in the first place.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I did ask for recommendations and was looking for a replacement for FK425 and looking for advice but all I am hearing is all of the latest greatest without any reason why it is better than I already have.
    Please show me why any of your recommendations would look better and, by the way, I have no problem with change as long as it is for the better. I am open for advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdover View Post
    I did ask for recommendations and was looking for a replacement for FK425 and looking for advice but all I am hearing is all of the latest greatest without any reason why it is better than I already have.
    Please show me why any of your recommendations would look better and, by the way, I have no problem with change as long as it is for the better. I am open for advice.
    You should re read the thread.. Alternatives to FK425 a few posts have explained.

But ultimately you`re welded to FK425 and that`s absolutely fine, but you could at least pretend to be grateful for the help.. it`s just lazy to expect someone to do all the homework for you.

Likes tarm liked this post
    Dislikes Stokdgs, tarm disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You should re read the thread.. Alternatives to FK425 a few posts have explained.

But ultimately you`re welded to FK425 and that`s absolutely fine, but you could at least pretend to be grateful for the help.. it`s just lazy to expect someone to do all the homework for you.

Exactly. OP was offered several better performing alternatives, some even available off the shelf at local stores.

No risk, no reward.
    Likes atbalfour liked this post
    Thanks atbalfour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am realizing that while I have made the change to coatings and spray sealants; at the same time I still like and use FK425 which in some ways makes me a dinosaur... LOL

To be honest I realize that FK425 is "old tech" and that the anti-static is somewhat overrated. But at the same time it is still IMO one of the betters QD`s that just seems to work with most all products.

I have quite a few of the current players in the QD / quick wipe-down game and they all work well and have pluses and minuses. But if you truly used them side-by-side with FK425 like I have you find that while they are good they are not necessarily any better to warrant the change unless you want a protection adding product.

Sonax BSD: Great water behavior and durability for something that is a QD product. But it is not slick to the touch or the application.

Sonax PNS: this is an aerosol spray sealant. Not really what you are looking for.

CARPRO Reload Spray Sealant: I prefer this as my coating sealant topper. But I don`t use it every wash.

CARPRO ECH2O Waterless Wash & Quick Detail Spray: This is fine if you find the right dilution that works for you. I don`t care for the "haze" is leaves behind that requires a 2nd wipe. While its part of the products design it not my thing.

CARPRO EliXir Quick Detailer: A mix of ReLoad and ECH2o. This is really the sweet spot.

Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax #931 / Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951: When using something like a FK wax this might be my go to in replacement of FK425.

TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic 3-in-1 Detailer: More of a ceramic booster than a QD in my opinion. A good add on if you are using the TW spray ceramic stuff.

P&S Bead Maker: This is one I do really like. But some find it overrated and others have had it be hard to use. I think its a decent QD with some gloss enhancement. I don`t use it for its protection.

IUDJ: I have a been using the IFDJ off and on for a few years. I mostly use it as a rinse-less wash but it does make a decent detail spray as well. If you add in the Juice Boost in a 50/50 mix it makes a decent protection adding detail spray.

Likes atbalfour, Stokdgs, acuRAS82, chevy117 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I also have been using Koch Chemie FSE. It works well and is fairly slick. It has the added benefit that it has the formula to remove water spots & limescale stains
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I am realizing that while I have made the change to coatings and spray sealants; at the same time I still like and use FK425 which in some ways makes me a dinosaur... LOL

To be honest I realize that FK425 is "old tech" and that the anti-static is somewhat overrated. But at the same time it is still IMO one of the betters QD`s that just seems to work with most all products.

I have quite a few of the current players in the QD / quick wipe-down game and they all work well and have pluses and minuses. But if you truly used them side-by-side with FK425 like I have you find that while they are good they are not necessarily any better to warrant the change unless you want a protection adding product.

Sonax BSD: Great water behavior and durability for something that is a QD product. But it is not slick to the touch or the application.

Sonax PNS: this is an aerosol spray sealant. Not really what you are looking for.

CARPRO Reload Spray Sealant: I prefer this as my coating sealant topper. But I don`t use it every wash.

CARPRO ECH2O Waterless Wash & Quick Detail Spray: This is fine if you find the right dilution that works for you. I don`t care for the "haze" is leaves behind that requires a 2nd wipe. While its part of the products design it not my thing.

CARPRO EliXir Quick Detailer: A mix of ReLoad and ECH2o. This is really the sweet spot.

Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax #931 / Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951: When using something like a FK wax this might be my go to in replacement of FK425.

TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic 3-in-1 Detailer: More of a ceramic booster than a QD in my opinion. A good add on if you are using the TW spray ceramic stuff.

P&S Bead Maker: This is one I do really like. But some find it overrated and others have had it be hard to use. I think its a decent QD with some gloss enhancement. I don`t use it for its protection.

IUDJ: I have a been using the IFDJ off and on for a few years. I mostly use it as a rinse-less wash but it does make a decent detail spray as well. If you add in the Juice Boost in a 50/50 mix it makes a decent protection adding detail spray.

Thank you TroyScherer for your post, it is exactly the information I was looking for. In order for me to buy numerous alternatives without any idea how the results would compare would be would be cost prohibitive and your opinion is greatly appreciated.

I am certainly not stuck on FK425, nor asking anyone else to do my homework, just looking for comparisons which you have so kindly taken the time to provide rather than posting a list of the newest, greatest.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you TroyScherer for your post, it is exactly the information I was looking for. In order for me to buy numerous alternatives without any idea how the results would compare would be would be cost prohibitive and your opinion is greatly appreciated.

I am certainly not stuck on FK425, nor asking anyone else to do my homework, just looking for comparisons which you have so kindly taken the time to provide rather than posting a list of the newest, greatest.
    You`re selectively blind it would seem.

Dislikes Stokdgs disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You`re selectively blind it would seem.

I don`t know what that means but thanks to contributors like TroyScherer, Accumulator and numerous others who contribute meaningful ideas, I have learned a lot from autopia and as far as this discussion is concerned I appreciate the contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this topic and realized that I didn’t really clarify that I don’t use QD’s like some do as a quick wipe down product. I only really use them as post wash drying aids. Advent and rise is waterless wash type products I really use those more for the old school QD type wipe downs. Since they have the cleaning ability as well as the lubricants needed I feel like they are a safer and better option for a quick wipe down product.

Ultima WWP
    I have been a long time fan of Ultima WWP. The main issue for me is the cost per gallon. I use to be able to buy it from a retailer for $45 @ gallon that made it cost effective and one of my best options. It was quick and easy to use while cleaning well and leaving that nice shine. There are a number of Autogeek house brands that are similar or even possibly the same as UWWP.

IUDJ:
    I I said before I have been using this for a while and I do use it as a rinseless as well as a detailer. Slick and shine.

Since I have been using mostly coatings I have also moved to coating type rinseless products as well. The McKee`s 37 SiO2 Rinseless Wash is one that I prefer more as a QD type product then as a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be my 70 year old eyes but it looks like I have to bite the bullet and pay the bucks to import FK425. Your fault Accumulator, a few years ago you steered me in the direction of FK1000P and many years later, with all the latest fabulous technology? I haven`t found anything better. THANKS!!
    Your eyes have more mileage on `em than mine, but mine aren`t even close to what they were before my various adventures in Ophthalmology The utterly forgiving nature of FK1000P (as opposed to...[potentially more demanding products] ) is a genuine feature. The 100% compatibility of FK425 with it (e.g., FK425 can even revive dried-out FK1000P) is a feature too. Old-tech isn`t always "obsolete"...[INSERT countless examples both related and not to Detailing].

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

ah, I see you like the IUDJ as a substitute too! And yeah...the supposed anti-static of the FK425 sure isn`t much. Somebody here once suggested that I must be "using it backwards" since I never experienced that

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Rinse-less Wash (regular or SiO2) diluted 3oz. to one gallon of water is my go-to Super-QD/Gloss enhancer (2.6oz. per gal is waterless wash strength, iirc). They’re not the glossiest, but they look good and are very user friendly; both flash-off nicely without streaking. The regular version is slick, but the SiO2 version is noticeably slicker. Nether seem to negatively affect the base coat’s natural look or beading. Plus, they have benefits that QD’s don’t, such as safer waterless cleaning and full rinse-less wash ability.

Another nice topper, though not a QD, is Optimum Spray Wax. Very easy to use and looks good. Works well on black plastic trim, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Another nice topper, though not a QD, is Optimum Spray Wax. Very easy to use and looks good. Works well on black plastic trim, too.
    I`m using that on my wife`s A8 and on some bits of our other vehicles. I *DO* like it a lot, but I`m leery of using it over FK1000P out of compatibility concerns. That gives me pause with the SiO2 products too...but I dunno whether my concerns are well-founded or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m using that on my wife`s A8 and on some bits of our other vehicles. I *DO* like it a lot, but I`m leery of using it over FK1000P out of compatibility concerns. That gives me pause with the SiO2 products too...but I dunno whether my concerns are well-founded or not.
    It’s worth a try on a small area or single panel, no big loss if it doesn’t play well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    It’s worth a try on a small area or single panel, no big loss if it doesn’t play well.
    The thing is you`ll never know. The TW stuff plays nice on just about anything and is as durable than the best sealants of the olden days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator;[URL="tel:2188798"
    2188798[/URL]]I`m using that on my wife`s A8 and on some bits of our other vehicles. I *DO* like it a lot, but I`m leery of using it over FK1000P out of compatibility concerns. That gives me pause with the SiO2 products too...but I dunno whether my concerns are well-founded or not.
    I’ve used OCW over the FK1000p without issue. I tried Griots Ceramic Speed Shine and the Sonax and DP Ceramic Detail Sprays. All 3 did not play well with the FK. All 3 were grabby and just not slick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information