Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss Coat

I decided to try the new Gloss Coat that was recently reformulated a few months ago. Truck was prepped with Hyper Polish and OPT Pain Prep. I applied 2 coats, an hour apart. It rained 24 hours later and I grabbed a beading shot. I drove the truck shortly after to dry it. Shower was brief. Gloss Coat can technically get wet after 8 hours, or an hour after if OS is applied.

Application was simple, however I didn`t use quite enough product. Only 8cc`s were used so I`m not expecting the longevity to hit 2 years. I probably should have used at least 10cc`s.

Optimum Gloss Coat-img_3842-1-.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Dan, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat

Should be ok. But it is good practice to apply opti-seal as an insurance measure to avoid the coating developing spots during the curing time. Good luck with gloss coat. It seems they didn`t make it more durable but rather change the resins. Could be due to supply chain issues but who really knows.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes CleanIt liked this post
    Thanks CleanIt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss Coat

Not trying to be negative but honest I don’t think those beads hold a candle to CqUk3 freshly applied. Hope it holds up for you.

I’m afraid i may think the same of Evo when I apply it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It was a last minute decision to try it. Figured I`d go with the one of the easier coatings to apply being I never used a coating before. Only regret was not applying it a bit heavier for the first layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss Coat

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIt View Post
    It was a last minute decision to try it. Figured I`d go with the one of the easier coatings to apply being I never used a coating before. Only regret was not applying it a bit heavier for the first layer.
    Again, Heavier applying wouldn’t make it work better.

Even with a second coat alot of folks don’t rhink you get an actual second layer. Just insures you get a nice, full even coverage. Personally not sure.

Would do second coat just because manufacturer says so. Does it give me thicker coat or are the just trying to sell more product? Optimum Gloss Coat

And the way i was expained to that made finally believe thicker is not better.

Picture laying on a layer an inch thick. The coating has to bond to the paint so only the very thin layer of nano particles are bonding to the paint.

Anything on top weather a micro thin layer or an inch off product will just be being wiped off. Only after that layer partially bonds (however long manufacturer recommends to wait) then you can add another layer that will bond with that.

Thinner is better. Easier to remove. Use the extra to add a second coat the high impact areas.

Likes CleanIt, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Again, Heavier applying wouldn’t make it work better.

Even with a second coat alot of folks don’t rhink you get an actual second layer. Just insures you get a nice, full even coverage. Personally not sure.

Would do second coat just because manufacturer says so. Does it give me thicker coat or are the just trying to sell more product? Optimum Gloss Coat

And the way i was expained to that made finally believe thicker is not better.

Picture laying on a layer an inch thick. The coating has to bond to the paint so only the very thin layer of nano particles are bonding to the paint.

Anything on top weather a micro thin layer or an inch off product will just be being wiped off. Only after that layer partially bonds (however long manufacturer recommends to wait) then you can add another layer that will bond with that.

Thinner is better. Easier to remove. Use the extra to add a second coat the high impact areas.

Good to know that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Use the extra to add a second coat the high impact areas.
    That sounds like a great idea! Except someone posted in this thread that that won`t work. Oh wait, that was you, in the same post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That sounds like a great idea! Except someone posted in this thread that that won`t work. Oh wait, that was you, in the same post.
    Did you read all my words?

“Even with a second coat alot of folks don’t rhink you get an actual second layer. Just insures you get a nice, full even coverage. Personally not sure. “

Didn’t say it wouldn’t work. Said some folks dont think…… Personally not sure…,

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat is a one layer coating. No need for a second layer. Back in the Yvan days it was stated a second layer would add more gloss but I never noticed any increase in gloss with a second layer.

The amount used is dependent on the size of the vehicle. Gloss Coat goes a long way as it spreads out further. Also unlike other coatings this one is more of a film rather than hardening up.
    Likes CleanIt, bad penny liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A second coat won`t do anything. Ceramic Coatings are meant to be applied thin. As long as you covered all areas you actually applied it correctly. Use what`s left on your wheels or the walls of your shower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    A second coat won`t do anything. Ceramic Coatings are meant to be applied thin. As long as you covered all areas you actually applied it correctly. Use what`s left on your wheels or the walls of your shower
    Always best to follow the manufacturers directions. Whether it’s one layer, two, three, etc.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Always best to follow the manufacturers directions. Whether it’s one layer, two, three, etc.
    OR talk to the chemist in person. Dr G told me all of his coatings only require 1 application.
    Something ain`t right with any coating that needs more then 1 application imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    OR talk to the chemist in person. Dr G told me all of his coatings only require 1 application.
    Something ain`t right with any coating that needs more then 1 application imo.
    That’s the optimum coating. Some manufacturers recommend two layers. Most say max 3. Whether it’s right or wrong it’s based on what the manufacturer states.

The opti-coat pro like has I believe a new 3 layer system.

Thread Information