Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Coating "Lite" Options (for mobile detailing)

Hi Autopians,

I`ve been thinking about slotting in a new package for my clients that comes in below a polishing or full ceramic coating package, but still offers some of the benefits of a longer-term ceramic type coating. Basically a "wash and wax" package that is upsold with a chemical paint decontamination, prep wipe and a "coating lite" type product. In my area some people definitely hesitate to drop the big monies for a full ceramic coating or even a 1-step polishing package, and most of the cars I see are daily drivers that live outside in sunny/dusty socal. And some people really couldn`t be bothered to notice the swirls in their paint, and just want a good layer of protection to keep the car looking clean.

For reference I side-gig this out of my home garage and maybe go mobile a weekend a month, so I will sometimes be out in the sun/wind doing these details.

The process would be strip wash with pre-soak foam or APC spray (Undrdog Soap/Purple Power Boat Wash/3D Orange in my case), tar/sap removal with Tarminator where necessary, water spot treatment with 3D Eraser Gel/3D Super Wheel Cleaner, and then iron decon with maybe a light fine-grade clay mitt where stubborn spots won`t come free. Then dry with McKee`s N914 as a drying aid and prep wipe with Meguiar`s M122 before applying the coating of choice.

So for this new package, I`m considering using either Adam`s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating, Gyeon Can Coat, Meguiar`s new Hybrid Paint Coating, or maybe CQuartz Lite.

Of the above, the only one I have experience with is the Adam`s product pre-graphene formulation. I used it both on my garaged daily and my Xterra that is parked outside 24/7 and got a good 8 months of durability out of it on both vehicles, and could have gone longer if not for the itch to coat with something new. The graphene formula supposedly should last longer. I really enjoyed the user experience with this coating as well as the gloss and water behavior it left behind. However I maintain my vehicles well as a true Autopian so I`m skeptical of the durability on something that gets more neglected than my own vehicles.

I would like to claim "one year" of protection by this coating with the disclaimer that the vehicle comes back to me for maintenance at least once every 3-4 months. So I`m also looking at Can Coat as I have seen nothing but praise for this coating but have not used any Gyeon products personally. So I`d like to get some user experience here for this product as far as durability, longevity, etc. How does this stuff apply if one had no choice but to do it in the sun? Some of the vehicles I do are quite HUGE so not everything can fit in the garage for coverage. Would this product be as durable if applied to a surface that has not been polished? Almost every instance I`ve seen of the usage of Can Coat has been after polishing.

Then there`s the new kid, the Meguiar`s Hybrid Paint Coating. This one has some really nice claims of durability and slickness that almost makes it seem like a no-brainer to use. However I`m skeptical due to it`s "newness" and because of the claims that it can only be applied above 65F and must be done on a cool shaded surface, and also is not suitable for glass (the Adam`s works excellent on glass IME). The aerosol can I think is a nice vessel for a coating that won`t go bad after sitting on a shelf for a while. Anybody have ANY experience with this coating at all?

CQuartz Lite I include in this list because it is likely the most stout of all the offerings, but again, no experience with this one (but I have used its siblings and keep CarPro products on hand most of the time). Is it as quick and easy to apply as the others? While I want to offer strong durability, I`m trying to offer this as a more budget-friendly package so I don`t want to have to be chasing high spots if I`m working quickly and/or in the outdoor environment. But then also, CQuartz makes a damn fine product and I wouldn`t hesitate to choose this just because I know it would perform very well and make my one-year claim easily possible. How easy is this stuff to work with and lay down evenly and quickly? I hear it goes down tacky and doesn`t really get more slick and I do prefer a slicker product, but it`s also not a huge priority.

Anyways, I`m half thinking out loud here I guess but please chime in with any experience with the above coatings, especially in terms of ease of use and durability on something not ideally maintained. Any other thoughts on my process are super welcomed as well.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating "Lite" Options (for mobile detailing)

I do this I offer it at 1 year coatings. Super quick polish around car with 205 and then adams graphene spray coating it is so easy to use and can get at least 20 cars per bottle. It is so forgiving to use the adams ceramic graphene stuff that I stuck with it. 2 panels at a time then wipe up charge as much as you can for your clients and everyone is happy. I also call it 1 year ceramic I don’t explain the graphene.

Cquartz lite is the best lite coating but adams was so easy to put on and that’s what’s important to me it easier than wax or sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the spray on products are going to require far less time, IME. I like Cquartz Lite for your generic/inexpensive coating. I coated most of my wife`s car nearly a year ago and the product is still going STRONG! Very pleased with the longevity and appearance. However, I found the product to be very gummy when trying to level. Did not like that aspect of it.

Another spray would be the TW Graphene Flex Pro Wax (something like that). That appears to have very good longevity.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I do this I offer it at 1 year coatings. Super quick polish around car with 205 and then adams graphene spray coating it is so easy to use and can get at least 20 cars per bottle. It is so forgiving to use the adams ceramic graphene stuff that I stuck with it. 2 panels at a time then wipe up charge as much as you can for your clients and everyone is happy. I also call it 1 year ceramic I don’t explain the graphene.

Cquartz lite is the best lite coating but adams was so easy to put on and that’s what’s important to me it easier than wax or sealant
    Thanks for the input. I think I`ve seen you mention using the Adam`s stuff before. I`ve always enjoyed using their products. Ease of use is super important and I think if I`m doing some mobile detailing that it would make things easier on me if I have to use it in the sun. How long have you seen the graphene spray coating hold up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I`ve seen you mention using the Adam`s stuff before. I`ve always enjoyed using their products. Ease of use is super important and I think if I`m doing some mobile detailing that it would make things easier on me if I have to use it in the sun. How long have you seen the graphene spray coating hold up?

I think for the most part you are asking a lot of these coating lites. I’ve had CC last 11 months and six months. Maintenance- driving- area- that the vehicle is located all come to play. CQ and CC are so easy to apply and remove -to me every 6 months is ideal. Not to be a downer but don’t try and oversell and lose confidence from your customers. Be honest up front and educate them. Maybe go for a little less up front and offer a monthly wash to help monitor their finish

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the Wolfgang SCC and gotten about 6 months real world durability. Pretty easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

The only true coating lite`s I see on your lost are CanCoat and CQ Lite. You are probably asking why I would state that. The reason from my perspective and experience using most of them is that both of these will give hardness like a true coating. You may sacrifice some longevity and durability by not polishing the paint but it is definitely not a pre-requisite to use either one. Between the two Lite will be the most durably and longer lasting. CanCoat gets the ease of application and speed of application. Both great products and both have a 4 hour cure time before they can officially get wet.

The adams graphene spray coating is good but it more of a sealant with very little active resin within it. Just like the ceramic spray coating. Super easy to use though but from my use it doesn`t harden up and Adams themselves stated you can wash your wipe off towels with not negative by product of them needing to be tossed away.

I have not use the Meguiar`s Hybrid Paint Coating. Markus Kleis former Meguiar`s employee swears by it as he helped develop it stating it is a true coating and can compete with some well known brands. But like the Adam`s product this one doesn`t seem to care how the paint is prepped. They are claiming a 1 year performance of it. But it well may be as there are some coatings that don`t harden.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

For me the only negative I can give Cquartz Lite is that they give you too much for a DIYer. But that wouldn`t be a problem for a detailer assuming you could apply to about 6 vehicles or so before 6 months before it starts to crystalize. Application couldn`t be easier, apply in a small section and you can immediately start wiping with the first towel and follow up with a second. Applying feels grabby going on but not so much on the wipe down. Rinse repeat, I think the two towel wipe down method will take care of leaving high spots. I`ve applied plenty of timed outside with no issues, hot and cold, in the sun too but the hottest times coincidently were overcast.

While I`ve only got to keep tabs on a few cars I put it on, all the ones I wash with Reset easily made more than a year in my area. Each of those vehicles lives outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The only true coating lite`s I see on your lost are CanCoat and CQ Lite. You are probably asking why I would state that. The reason from my perspective and experience using most of them is that both of these will give hardness like a true coating. You may sacrifice some longevity and durability by not polishing the paint but it is definitely not a pre-requisite to use either one. Between the two Lite will be the most durably and longer lasting. CanCoat gets the ease of application and speed of application. Both great products and both have a 4 hour cure time before they can officially get wet.

The adams graphene spray coating is good but it more of a sealant with very little active resin within it. Just like the ceramic spray coating. Super easy to use though but from my use it doesn`t harden up and Adams themselves stated you can wash your wipe off towels with not negative by product of them needing to be tossed away.

I have not use the Meguiar`s Hybrid Paint Coating. Markus Kleis former Meguiar`s employee swears by it as he helped develop it stating it is a true coating and can compete with some well known brands. But like the Adam`s product this one doesn`t seem to care how the paint is prepped. They are claiming a 1 year performance of it. But it well may be as there are some coatings that don`t harden.
    Adams Also said it had a five year shelf life. Bot getting that from a true coating lite. Definitely like a sealant on ceramic steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes crg001 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    I think for the most part you are asking a lot of these coating lites. I’ve had CC last 11 months and six months. Maintenance- driving- area- that the vehicle is located all come to play. CQ and CC are so easy to apply and remove -to me every 6 months is ideal. Not to be a downer but don’t try and oversell and lose confidence from your customers. Be honest up front and educate them. Maybe go for a little less up front and offer a monthly wash to help monitor their finish
    Thank you for this. I certainly don`t want to under deliver on what I`m offering. I plan to call it a "6 to 12 month ceramic lite" that offers coating qualities with shorter term durability, and will only last the duration quoted if maintained by me at least bi-monthly.

Thanks Guz. I almost decided to go for the Adam`s product due to its versatility and price, but even as a previous user of it I`m not confident in its durability. I`d rather spend a bit more and use a product that has been proven to provide amazing results.

I`ve seen Markus`s videos and FB post regarding the Hybrid Coating. It seems to be a pretty interesting coating. I think down the road I will give it a try just to satisfy my own curiosity, but I do like having a coating that provides a hardness aspect and synergizes well with SiO2 maintenance products. I`m sure we`ll be seeing more tests of this product as time goes on.

So between Can Coat/ CQ Lite, which would you prefer to use in my situation? CarPro US claims that the CQL has "minor filling" which is a bonus on a vehicle that hasn`t had a prep polish. I doubt that the effect is very great, but it makes me wonder if Can Coat can do this as well? Basically I`m asking, in your experience, which product "looks" better?

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    For me the only negative I can give Cquartz Lite is that they give you too much for a DIYer. But that wouldn`t be a problem for a detailer assuming you could apply to about 6 vehicles or so before 6 months before it starts to crystalize. Application couldn`t be easier, apply in a small section and you can immediately start wiping with the first towel and follow up with a second. Applying feels grabby going on but not so much on the wipe down. Rinse repeat, I think the two towel wipe down method will take care of leaving high spots. I`ve applied plenty of timed outside with no issues, hot and cold, in the sun too but the hottest times coincidently were overcast.

While I`ve only got to keep tabs on a few cars I put it on, all the ones I wash with Reset easily made more than a year in my area. Each of those vehicles lives outside.
    Yeah the quantity and price of CQ Lite is a huge plus in this situation. If it applies well outside in the heat as you`ve experienced that would also make my life a bit easier. Do you normally apply one coat or two? I would certainly prefer only having to do one layer. Have you tired Can Coat and have any comparisons?

BTW is your avatar pic from Gojira`s "L`Enfant Sauvage" album?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the quantity and price of CQ Lite is a huge plus in this situation. If it applies well outside in the heat as you`ve experienced that would also make my life a bit easier. Do you normally apply one coat or two? I would certainly prefer only having to do one layer. Have you tired Can Coat and have any comparisons?

BTW is your avatar pic from Gojira`s "L`Enfant Sauvage" album?
    Correct on the avatar.

Just to be clear the hot days weren`t in blistering sun but since the application and wipe is immediate you may be ok. I`ve only applied one coat since I`m not doing this for money and plan on not trying to rush.

The only time I used CanCoat I was helping someone else with it so can`t speak to post application. But application is quicker/easier since you can work on whole panels and wipe is easier. All the feed back I`ve seen on the two is CanCoat is easier to apply but CQ Lite will last longer.
    Likes crg001 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Mike lol I was looking at the adams graphene spray coating lately as a possible alternative to cancoat.

Gotta love discussion forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Thanks again Mike lol I was looking at the adams graphene spray coating lately as a possible alternative to cancoat.

Using both Adams SGC and Cancoat, Cancoat is definitely the better product. Last longer, better beading.

That being said i feel the adam’s is a easier product to use and still a damn good product. Just wouldn’t call it a coating lite but better rhan any sio2 spray sealant out there. Kinda fits between the two.

No issues with high spots you have to let it sit but you also can apply to a bigger area. Would say life is 3-6 months.

If i were doing for money Cancoat would be my choice as it in most cases will last a year and for a coating lite it’s pretty easy to apply.

I did’nt like it with a MF towel. I use a AutoFiber 3x5 saver applicator. I can see were i coated and still pretty fast as you can do a panel then wipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes noorth, crg001 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post

Not saying it’s a bad product. It’s rather good. Just not on CanCoat’s level of overall performance. Let along CQ Lite.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes noorth, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

6-8 months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information