Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which squeegee station would you buy?

I`m looking for a squeegee station similar to what you`d find at a gas station. Something I can hang on the wall next to my wife`s car. She has to take a couple of long country 2-lane highways to work, and the bugs are pretty bad. Then it never fails, for some reason I`ll have to drive the car. And I can`t see. As you might imagine this gets pretty old, and it wouldn`t bother me to just clean the windshield once in awhile before I drive her car.

If you`ve got a recommendation on a good cleaning squeegee and the soapy liquid that stays in the station, I`d like to hear that too. Using a can of the typical bug-be-gone and leaning and scrubbing doesn`t sound appealing to me in the least. Cause now maybe I`ve got that smell on me and I`ve been leaning close to the car and maybe got something on my shirt. I`ll also need to wash my hands.

I say this not because I fear doing dirty work, but because I`ll think about the windshield it right before I`m leaving to go somewhere. Somewhere that I need to look nice and smell nice. A squeegee and a long handle solves that problem for me. I can walk out there, see the sorry state of her windshield, and quickly make a spot for me to see out of. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which squeegee station would you buy?

I have a similar situation but with sand and salt spray. Also the fools at Mercedes made the spray and wipe the same button so your wipers move before the spray, grinding sand into the glass.

I just use a sprayer filled with 1Z windshield cleaner concentrate and water to liberally blast the windshield and then use the gas station style squeegee.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Also the fools at Mercedes made the spray and wipe the same button so your wipers move before the spray, grinding sand into the glass.
    This is why I almost never use the windshield washer on any of my cars, I don`t think I have ever added any washer fluid. It was different decades ago when the windshields seemed to be made out of "real" glass that wasn`t so prone to scratching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I just use a sprayer filled with 1Z windshield cleaner concentrate and water to liberally blast the windshield and then use the gas station style squeegee.
    Does that melt through the tough bugs easily? I`ve just been using Rain-x and it`s pretty useless for bugs. Which is my main problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of windshield washers, my wife`s 2015 Ford Taurus washer fluid reservoir pump died and did not work. A new pump and one-and-half hours of labor and $200 at the Ford dealership, it`s ready to work spraying off winter deicing salt brine.
    I did have them refill the reservoir with Peak Winter De-icer fluid that is good down to -30°F that I supplied. Why supply my own fluid? Because what ever the dealership uses is a summer/winter blend. Might be good down to 0°F, but in Wisconsin it can get colder than that and I do not want frozen washer fluid on a windshield limiting or impacting my driving vision or unable to clean off de-icer brine from melting snow at a critical time traveling on a highway during a snow event.

As far as cleaning bugs off the windshield during the summer when driving, if they get THAT bad, it is time to pull over and use some diluted Poorboy`s Bug Squash solution in a small spray bottle (Think small eye glass cleaner bottle you can stow in the middle arm rest compartment) and a mesh-type bug pad rather than use the window wash fluid and wipers and have them smear all over the windshield,. I know they make special summer windshield washer fluids designed specifically for removing bug splatter, but I do not use it because I leave the above mentioned winter fluid in the reservoir year-round. In the old days of vehicles, the washer reservoir was easily accessible and removable (2 bolts) and you could dump it out the excess seasonal washer fluid to change over for the upcoming season. Not any more; they are "buried" amongst a plethora of engine and vehicle accessories, like electrical boxes/relays or anti-lock brake pumps, or deep inside the front fender.

Gotta admit, the idea of having a service station-style windshield wash bucket and a squeegee in a garage is "unique". Personally, I`d use a 3-gallon bucket, nail it to the wall, fill it with seasonal washer fluid, add the squeegee and use that. Don`t forget the roll of blue shop toweling hung on a long spike nailed to the wall so you can rip off a sheet and wipe off the rubber part of the squeegee as you clean and/or wipe your windshield. Maybe I am sounding "RednecK facetious", but it is cost-effective and gets the job done. (Just like you Captain Obvious: Redneck and cheap!)

SPEAKING of service station window wash buckets and squeegees, I see a few "less-than-intelligent" vehicle drivers attempt to wash their dirty vehicle with the wash solution and squeegee from such service station buckets as they fill up with gas. Then they wonder WHY their vehicle (and I`ve seen this done to some VERY nice newer vehicles) is SOOOOOOO scratched and swirled. Queue Jeff Foxworthy. "You might be a Redneck if you wash your entire dirty car with the service station squeegee from the window wash bucket so you don`t have to buy a car wash."
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t care for Rain X, always seemed to leave a film on the windshield.
    Likes tom p. liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    SPEAKING of service station window wash buckets and squeegees, I see a few "less-than-intelligent" vehicle drivers attempt to wash their dirty vehicle with the wash solution and squeegee from such service station buckets as they fill up with gas. Then they wonder WHY their vehicle (and I`ve seen this done to some VERY nice newer vehicles) is SOOOOOOO scratched and swirled. Queue Jeff Foxworthy. "You might be a Redneck if you wash your entire dirty car with the service station squeegee from the window wash bucket so you don`t have to buy a car wash."
    I have a friend who swears by the squeegee wash. Of course his car is 20+ years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
    Does that melt through the tough bugs easily? I`ve just been using Rain-x and it`s pretty useless for bugs. Which is my main problem.
    Can`t comment really, don`t get too many bugs on the windshield but the ones that I do come off pretty easy. I do let the liquid dwell for a minute or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

As far as cleaning bugs off the windshield during the summer when driving, if they get THAT bad, it is time to pull over and use some diluted Poorboy`s Bug Squash solution in a small spray bottle
    Does that stuff melt the bugs pretty well?

Post Thanks / Like

Problem solved: Use your own car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Problem solved: Use your own car.
    For most married couples this is often not possible for various reasons. One way or another, I`ll end up driving the car. It`s not always a problem, but I hate it when it is.

Ordered a bucket, a squeegee, some bug soap, and a few spray bottles. I`ll get it all mounted on the wall and that should be the end of the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

bennylava:
    I would suggest some blue shop toweling to wipe off the rubber wiper of the squeegee after each pass over the windshield to remove the excess bug wash soap to mitigate excessive streaking and help remove any dirt or bugs from the rubber wiper of the squeegee. You could also use an old, softer cotton rag, like a worn out T-shirt or flour sack material dish towel for that purpose. I would not use a red shop cotton rag as I feel it is much too coarse of a material, but that is me.
    I assume you live in a warmer climate where bug splatter are a year-round problem and necessitating your need for a garage-installed service station windshield wash bucket.

What are you using for a "bug soap"? I know I suggested Poorboy`s World Bug Squash and I know it works for cleaning vehicles during a car wash with a 2-bucket wash method, but there you are rinsing with water and then drying first with a blower (at least that`s what I do) followed by a drying-type microfiber (I use Griot`s Garage Terry-Weave PFM 16x16 towels), which is a COMPLETELY different method than what you are using to clean a dirty windshield of bugs splatter.
    I ask about the bug soap and wonder if you might consider using windshield washer fluid used in vehicle reservoirs designed specifically for summer use to clean off bugs. I am pretty sure that is what most service stations pour into their wash station buckets during the summer.
    It`s also pretty obvious that you just want to do this windshield cleaning as quickly as you can when you are taking the one vehicle you have to go some place, like to work, and are not going to spend 5 or more minutes to just to clean your windshield.
    I will have to commend you for doing this windshield cleaning in this fashion because using just the vehicle wipers and the reservoir wash fluid to clean bugs off as you leave the garage and drive off is VERY hard on the wipers and usually results in very streaked windshields, limiting and/or impairing your driving field of vision. Many auto accidents are a result of this. I know this to be true because in Wisconsin "uneducated"(I am being polite and politically correct here) drivers will use their wipers to clean off fresh-fallen snow from their windshield and drive off while the rest of the vehicle`s windows are covered in snow. Yes, eventually the wind from driving MAY blow most of it off, but by that time they may have driven into you as they change lanes on a city 4-lane street or pull out from an intersection stop sign because they cannot see out completely around their vehicle. I watch for such "uneducated" drivers and stay clear of them and their vehicles as I am driving in the winter.
    GB detailer
    Likes bennylava liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone using anything like this on their house ? The one I have needs replacing and was looking for any suggestions on one as a replacement. Thank you for your time/help. Which squeegee station would you buy?-win.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    Is anyone using anything like this on their house ? The one I have needs replacing and was looking for any suggestions. Thank you for your time/help.Which squeegee station would you buy?-win.jpg
    For house windows? Yep, pretty much exactly what I use, have for years. They work great. Outaide windows I hose them, then give some shots of any window cleaner and use the bonet to clean and the squeegee to give a nice swipe clean. Fly throughy windows and spotless results.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing View Post
    Is anyone using anything like this on their house ? The one I have needs replacing and was looking for any suggestions on one as a replacement. Thank you for your time/help.
    Is this the Ettore?

I originally picked up an Unger scrubber/squeegee where they were two separate pieces (can`t joint together like the one you show). It`s worked perfectly well for me. I do like that the scrubber has a kinda scotchbrite pad like scrubber on it to help knock the funk off, then I flip and final pass with the microfiber side. Then squeegee dry.

I later picked up an Ettore like you show as well as their extension pole because I`ve got a couple high up windows you just have to do from outside and I hate ladders. It works great. I think I like that squeegee slightly better than the Unger, but miss the scotchbrite part on the scrubber.

Only down side is I can`t chase the edges of the glass to get them 100% finished with that setup (20 year old windows, I think the sealant/glazing whatever is sneaking out so it catches the edge of the squeegee). When I do the rest of the windows that I can reach without the pole I wipe the perimeter with a waffle weave or glass towel to get it perfect.

Side note: I talked to the pro that we hire to do all the windows at my work and he was the one that recommended Ettore as it was his preference.
    Thanks Fishing thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information