Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

This came up today in an old Zaino thread...so I figured I`d give it some space to breathe:

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    BUT, with the COVID-19 pandemic, all I see on cable TV are "classic" football, basketball, hockey, & baseball games or TV series re-runs, so why not resurrect old threads about who makes what care-care products for whom.

Come to think about it, how much do you hear (read) about Dura-Gloss products anymore??
    Or Liquid Glass (which I think was still being sold at at AutoZone for $30.00 for a 16 ounce can!)
    Rejex?
    Klasse All-In-One and Sealant "twins"? (I use AIO; great product for motor compartment paint and door/trunk/hatch jams, and clear-coated wheel-rim paint)
    Clay Magic?

Hmm...let`s see...we never really heard that much about Duragloss...because they don`t have anyone hawking their lines on forums (Richy used to give them a little PR). Klasse? I`m still disappointed that we can`t get the "nano" Carlack products here anymore (Werkstat). Clay Magic kind of became passe once the clay patents expired.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

Nice thread. I own a bottle of Liquid Glass. Woohoo.

I feel like Duragloss does get pretty good recognition still, their AIOs, DG111, Aquawax, WW/RW concentrate, tire coating.

My brand products to bring up is Four Star Ultimate series, particularly Ultimate Paint Protection sealant and Ultimate Spray Wax. The sealant is doing amazing in a hood comparison test on my Acura. And I brought the spray wax out recently to use as a drying aid on the wife’s car and it’s slick, glossy, doesn’t streak... most of what you could ask for in a spray wax. And I realized it is marketed as also a waterless wash/QD which means it has a bit of cleaning, not that I’ll ever use it for that but it might be nice for some people to remove smudges and also get some lasting protection. This line was talked about a lot 7-15 years ago. I bought the products 3 years ago based on reading so much about it in old threads.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anything carnauba!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this site is a microcosm and a small cross section of real users. Figure that anything on the shelf at the Big 3 auto parts chains sells far more than the boutique brands. Turtle Wax probably sells 100 to 1 compared to something like Blackfire or Wolfgang. Granted better ingredients cost more and a higher price conveys a sense of being better. There`s nothing wrong with being a niche product.

Figure that 3m/ Meguiars sells tons of compounds to body shops. Boutique compounds and polishes may be easier to work with but overall have got to be a lot less volume.

Back years ago this site had a different hot product for a couple months and then it would fade into relative obscurity. I`d suggest youtube and the A and E sites drive more sales than Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Ultima? I just used their Paint Guard Plus today. Super easy to use and a great sealant.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Prima
    Likes BadgerRivFan, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still have 3 on my shelf.

Rejex
    Klasse All-In-One and Sealant
    Clay Magic

My wife likes the Rejex for what ever she polishes in the house. I use Clay Magic and their Radiant on her Lexus. Klasse just sits on the shelf... I still grab the Zaino AIO for all other uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino really comes to mind for me in this thread.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly is liquid glass? From what I read some call it a wax, some call it a polish. It says to build layers with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Liquid Glass is some type of synthetic resin product. I doubt it`s the same formulation that it was back in the 70`s since VOC laws have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

I feel like Duragloss does get pretty good recognition still, their AIOs, DG111, Aquawax, WW/RW concentrate, tire coating.

My brand products to bring up is Four Star Ultimate series, particularly Ultimate Paint Protection sealant and Ultimate Spray Wax. The sealant is doing amazing in a hood comparison test on my Acura. And I brought the spray wax out recently to use as a drying aid on the wife’s car and it’s slick, glossy, doesn’t streak... most of what you could ask for in a spray wax. And I realized it is marketed as also a waterless wash/QD which means it has a bit of cleaning, not that I’ll ever use it for that but it might be nice for some people to remove smudges and also get some lasting protection. This line was talked about a lot 7-15 years ago. I bought the products 3 years ago based on reading so much about it in old threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    What about Ultima? I just used their Paint Guard Plus today. Super easy to use and a great sealant.
    I have been using Premium Finish Care products (Ultima, Four Star, and Sonus) for years. I always enjoyed speaking with Rick and Sam at Detail Fest, and purchasing something for an excellent cash price. Now I get it from Corey at Car-Pro, as he is close by.

I currently also use Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection for a sealant on my cars and my customers cars. Great stuff, somewhat spendy to buy, but a little goes a long way.
    Likes acuRAS82, ernman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still use and love Duragloss 501, 105, 111 and 601. Their car wash and rinse less wash with Aquawax. Stuff works great, I get 6 months out of 501/601, or 105/601 topped by 111/601. The rinse less wash is my favorite of all that I have tried, and you can dilute it to make a great water less wash that really has some staying power.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Captain Obvious! See what you started. (Yes, I am the Autopian Sect has copied the post from about products you no longer hear about)

How about:
    Swissvax (Ultra-High-End waxes with Paul Dalton`s Crystal Rock or the rarefied Divine Bespoke wax)
    Blue Coral (Autofom with Fomblin A was last "hurrah" product in 1994 and pitched on TV infomercials by Dennis Weaver of "McCloud" series fame. Yep, still have some. Used "sparingly" on lawnmower decks or neighborhood kids bicycles)
    Rain Dance (Yep, I still have a tin container of the liquid "wax/sealant" I used in the mid-80`s. The name of the product is appropriate for that time!)
    Zymol (More of the boutique high-end waxes)
    Werkstatts (Never tried it, but this was a forum-favorite in its day in the late 2000`s to early 2010`s)
    DoDo Juice (OK, it still exists, but its popularity has waxed and waned. [Really "punny", Captain Obvious]) Those in the "mathematical know" realize my parentheses are in the "wrong" order; dah!
    Danase Products (Good products until Danase Going Out of Business! 40% off)
    Hi-Temp/Akyra (Lost distributor when Top of the Line Detailing Supply when out of business. I miss Irene`s service)
    Moose Wax (Another forum-favorite, especially with no-longer-posting Autopian All-Star ScottWax)
    Lane Products (Not sure but I think these were sold to hi-volume detailing shop and car dealerships)
    Perma-Seal "The Lazy Man`s Wax"(WOW!! What is this?? If you were ever to the Iola Car Show in central Wisconsin in the 1980`s, this product was demoed and shilled by product vendors. They WERE (very past tense) out of Cresco, PA. A tub of their powder was "car-show only price" at 2 for $10.00. You did not wash your car; all you do is rub (not wipe!) this on with a wet damp cloth and wipe it off with a dry cloth. The fore-runner of waterless washing AND All-In-One products. Swirl city on dark paints, however, but great on swirl-hiding white paint and cleaning off fly specks on white that no other cleaner waxes could remove! Demoted to cleaning stove grates for baked-on foods, and yes, I have a very small amount in a plastic tub)
    Presta Products (Still have Strata Ultra Cutting Creme Light and Chroma 1500 Polish. Another forum-favorite in the day that is best applied with a rotary and suggested Presta wool pads and NOT a PC-DA and early Lake Country foam pads!!!)
    Malco Automotive Products (Another competitor to Presta and 3M for body shop products or high-volume detailers)
    Bio-Kleen (More RV and boating product line, but do have some car-care products. My experience with this product line was my one-and-only review of their Black Streak cleaner for a camper trailer: Clean Black Streaks on an Aluminum Camper with Bio-Kleen Black Streak Remover)
    Auto-Armor (EVERY new-car dealer`s add-on applied sealant. If you bought "the complete package" you received a take-home kit for its upkeep. Hate this stuff.)
    J-Wax/Formula 1 ("Economy-minded" consumer car-care products made by Northern Labs, Inc. in Manitowoc, WI. Gotta plug my home state!!)
    Voodoo Ride Products (Hey, I asked about them! No one responded:Anyone Know About and Have Used VooDoo Ride Car-Care Chemicals??)
    Americana Global Premium Car-Care Products (Early Autopian All-Star and Lancaster, Pennsylvania`s Presidential Detailing owner Barry Theal`s foray into hi-end detailing products. Yah, you are not alone if you have never heard of them, either)
    Race Glaze Polish and Sealant (Made by ChemRite CoPac Inc. in Lannon, Wisconsin. Think of it as the "original" version of ReJex. Another shameless plug for a Wisconsin-made product)
    Boyd Coddington Products (Good stuff and cheap at Big Lots when it was discontinued)
    Jay Leno`s Car-Care Products (Does he even use them on his massive exotic and unique vehicle collection? You`d think they would be prominently displayed in his CBNBC program "Jay Leno`s Garage". Cannot wait until they get to Big Lots.)

OK, OK Captain Obvious we get the idea. There are A LOT of car-care products/manufacturers out there, past and present that are not mentioned (much) in this forum!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You missed Nu-Finish which showed up a lot of sealants in that You-Tube testing over 1.5 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Do you know if the four star ultimate paint protection sealant is the same as the ultima paint sealant? I found a store online that is closing it out cheap i was going to buy a bottle but i cant find any info online about it.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information