Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concentrated Wheel Cleaners- What`s your preference?

More Information on Acid Wheel Cleaners:
    Here`s an older thread link about wheels cleaners. You`ll have to go to posts #17 and #18 to get to the chemical part of this discussion.
    Acid or non acid based wheel cleaner?

While search for this information, I came across the mention of Wheel Wax as good way of cleaning and protecting rims of brake dust. There`s another product you`ll probably don`t hear much about (or use) anymore. Yes, I have used it in the past and it worked for me. I think, though, that rim coatings have supplanted/obsoleted Wheel Wax, much like paint coatings have done to car waxes. Just a guess.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    I also just use soap & water on my wheels since they are coated. Have not used a wheel cleaner in years.
    yup...same here....got that advice from years ago (may have been from The Guz)....followed it and never looked back

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty loyal to Griots wheel cleaner, but not the Heavy Duty product, just the original green one. Despite not being, "heavy duty", I`ve found it delivers plenty of cleaning power for the wheels on my family fleet. Even at their worst just-drove-through-two-months-of-winter grime or the German-car-just-finished-a-driving-event-on-performance-pads condition, it cuts through the grime easily.

On our Japanese cars, I could probably get away with just soap and water, but on my BMW with the optional brake package, the thick, "sticky" brake dust just doesn`t come off completely. The only way to get them squeaky clean is a wheel cleaner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    While search for this information, I came across the mention of Wheel Wax as good way of cleaning and protecting rims of brake dust. There`s another product you`ll probably don`t hear much about (or use) anymore. Yes, I have used it in the past and it worked for me. I think, though, that rim coatings have supplanted/obsoleted Wheel Wax, much like paint coatings have done to car waxes. Just a guess.
    I just recently Hydro-Blue`d my wheels after a quick iron treatment - I should dig out my little tub of wheel wax and treat the passenger side and do a side-to-side comparison...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Duragloss has a gallon sized wheel cleaner as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I just recently Hydro-Blue`d my wheels after a quick iron treatment - I should dig out my little tub of wheel wax and treat the passenger side and do a side-to-side comparison...
    I`d like to see that comparison. I tried using DP`s Hydro Wet Seal on my wheels and was pretty underwhelmed. It didn`t make them look any better, protection was very short lived, and I think it actually made my wheels harder to clean rather than easier.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You`re all a poor influence. I just picked up a 64oz. bottle of 3d Super Wheel Cleaner. I`ll let you know how it goes!
    Likes SNP209, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tuga and it turns purple.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are interested, I`ve had a few chances to use the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner on some client`s rides and overall I`m really impressed with this product. It is unmistakably an acid in it`s function, but it is not nearly as hazardous to use as something like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener. The formula this cleaner appears to use is called urea hydrochloride, a mixture of urea and hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. The pH level is relatively mild at 5 but acts as a much stronger acid. I`ve found that this formula is frequently used as a cement truck wash solution, to give an idea of its strength. It is sometimes called a "synthetic acid".

To use, I diluted it 1:11 per the directions for "extra strength". I first rinse the wheel and spray this stuff on. Then let it dwell for ~30 seconds and rinse off. At this point the majority of brake dust and grime are already gone. Afterwards I do my normal routine of spraying with Brake Buster or D143 through my IK foamer and agitate the wheels/tires with various brushes. The wheel cleaning portion of this is MUCH easier with the pre-treatment with 3D Super to the point that it basically requires zero effort, even on abused wheels.

On a whim I also decided to try it out on some chrome bits of a Tundra I was detailing. The chrome had some pretty nasty water spots, but a spray with this stuff, a few moments to dwell, and a rinse basically removed all of the spots with essentially zero effort. This stuff works great for chrome!

I also decided to use it to decon my own car that is coated with Cquartz TiO2. After a contact wash, I sprayed it on painted surfaces, let dwell for a short period then rinsed off. I feel it revived some coating properties and brought back some beading. I think this is reasonable to use as a coating decon as it`s pH level isn`t a coating killer.

I`m gonna continue experimenting with this product`s usefulness, but I must say it is a killer wheel pre-treat cleaner. And it doesn`t have much of an odor or reaction with other surfaces. It has 100% replaced iron remover for wheel cleaning duties for me.
    Likes dgage, DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear about 3d Super Wheel Cleaner! I have it sitting here but haven`t broken into it yet. I did however break into the AutoFanatic Professional Wheel Cleaning Foam. I`m intending on doing a thread with a review when I get a chance. It was pretty effective, I have my dilution ratio written down in the garage, but did the highest the recommended in my IK foamer. Required some agitation, but nothing was leftover when done, like I`ve had with Brake Buster (great for economy and light maintenance washes). My favorite thing about it, though, was no fumes. I`d used Bilt Hamber Korrosol on some wheels the previous week and I could smell it for days.
    Likes crg001 liked this post
    Thanks crg001 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

3D Yellow Degreaser 106 128 oz.

I find it works great on wheels & tires.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Updating an old thread. I FINALLY got around to using the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner. I used my IK spray foamer with an 8:1 ratio and WOW it works incredibly well. You start to see the dust and dirt break down and run off. Did a mild agitation of the wheel drums, nothing left over. No harsh or rotten smell. Similar to Autofanatic`s cleaner in that you`re not catching whiffs of it. (Non-caustic?)
    Likes tom p., DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear. I`m still a fan of the nano drum products and need to try the wheel cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s one of the few products that got the discoloration out of the Audi rings on the center caps on my S5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    It`s one of the few products that got the discoloration out of the Audi rings on the center caps on my S5.
    You know why it works so well? It`s got ammonium bifluoride in it (ABF). ABF is a salt, which when mixed with water, is a hydrofluoric acid compound. Many, many years ago a prominent detailer here went ballistic when a popular boutique-brand wheel cleaner was labeled as "non-acid" when it contained ABF. Similarly the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner states right on the front "does not contain hydrofluoric or sulfuric acids"...which is technically true, but it does contain ABF and phosphoric acid, sulphamidic acid, and hydrogen chloride...which is a gas which when mixed into water...becomes hydrochloric acid.

The SDS:

https://3dimages.blob.core.windows.n...DSUS%20(1).pdf
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information