Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concentrated Wheel Cleaners- What`s your preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You know why it works so well? It`s got ammonium bifluoride in it (ABF). ABF is a salt, which when mixed with water, is a hydrofluoric acid compound. Many, many years ago a prominent detailer here went ballistic when a popular boutique-brand wheel cleaner was labeled as "non-acid" when it contained ABF. Similarly the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner states right on the front "does not contain hydrofluoric or sulfuric acids"...which is technically true, but it does contain ABF and phosphoric acid, sulphamidic acid, and hydrogen chloride...which is a gas which when mixed into water...becomes hydrochloric acid.

The SDS:

https://3dimages.blob.core.windows.n...DSUS%20(1).pdf
    I`m not saying you`re wrong, but I always got the impression that the (prior) owner Tunch Goren was pretty obsessive about safety and designed products for the industrial user who was exposed to them daily. It`d be a pretty big letdown if there wasn`t some clever chemistry in here that didn`t make this any safer than your basic ABF/HF cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to know. Either way, I`ve tried a bunch of different Iron Removers and wheel cleaners and nothing got the coloring out of the Audi rings like the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner, I don`t remember my dilution ratio, but I used my smaller IK foamer.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy
    Thank you for the link to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for 3D`s Super Wheel Cleaner.
    When it says to use in well-ventilated area and to wear protective gloves and eye covering/glasses, the end-used should understand this is NOT a common household cleaning chemical and that there are, indeed, personal health risks to its usage.
    Like any car-care chemical product sold in the USA, product manufacturers and/or distributors/resellers are required by law to publish its chemical information (within reason: some patented and proprietary "secret formula" chemicals are exempt, although that has changed in recent years and the exact chemicals may be required to be listed, just not in the percentage it occurs with that product or proprietary formula) and safety protocols in using those specific chemicals for the end-user. This is done at the expense to said manufacturer or distributor/reseller and passed on the the end consumer with this overhead expense added to the product price, or manufacturer`s suggested retail price (MSRP).
    It is a shame most consumers do not read or follow the safety warnings, protocols, and guidelines within MSDS, considering they have directly paid for them. Ignorance is not always bliss, and using car-care products or any chemical is a prime example of "what you do not know can kill you."
    GB detailer
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information