Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concentrated Wheel Cleaners- What`s your preference?

More Information on Acid Wheel Cleaners:
    Here`s an older thread link about wheels cleaners. You`ll have to go to posts #17 and #18 to get to the chemical part of this discussion.
    Acid or non acid based wheel cleaner?

While search for this information, I came across the mention of Wheel Wax as good way of cleaning and protecting rims of brake dust. There`s another product you`ll probably don`t hear much about (or use) anymore. Yes, I have used it in the past and it worked for me. I think, though, that rim coatings have supplanted/obsoleted Wheel Wax, much like paint coatings have done to car waxes. Just a guess.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    I also just use soap & water on my wheels since they are coated. Have not used a wheel cleaner in years.
    yup...same here....got that advice from years ago (may have been from The Guz)....followed it and never looked back

Post Thanks / Like

I`m pretty loyal to Griots wheel cleaner, but not the Heavy Duty product, just the original green one. Despite not being, "heavy duty", I`ve found it delivers plenty of cleaning power for the wheels on my family fleet. Even at their worst just-drove-through-two-months-of-winter grime or the German-car-just-finished-a-driving-event-on-performance-pads condition, it cuts through the grime easily.

On our Japanese cars, I could probably get away with just soap and water, but on my BMW with the optional brake package, the thick, "sticky" brake dust just doesn`t come off completely. The only way to get them squeaky clean is a wheel cleaner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    While search for this information, I came across the mention of Wheel Wax as good way of cleaning and protecting rims of brake dust. There`s another product you`ll probably don`t hear much about (or use) anymore. Yes, I have used it in the past and it worked for me. I think, though, that rim coatings have supplanted/obsoleted Wheel Wax, much like paint coatings have done to car waxes. Just a guess.
    I just recently Hydro-Blue`d my wheels after a quick iron treatment - I should dig out my little tub of wheel wax and treat the passenger side and do a side-to-side comparison...

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Duragloss has a gallon sized wheel cleaner as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I just recently Hydro-Blue`d my wheels after a quick iron treatment - I should dig out my little tub of wheel wax and treat the passenger side and do a side-to-side comparison...
    I`d like to see that comparison. I tried using DP`s Hydro Wet Seal on my wheels and was pretty underwhelmed. It didn`t make them look any better, protection was very short lived, and I think it actually made my wheels harder to clean rather than easier.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You`re all a poor influence. I just picked up a 64oz. bottle of 3d Super Wheel Cleaner. I`ll let you know how it goes!
    Likes SNP209, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tuga and it turns purple.

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are interested, I`ve had a few chances to use the 3D Super Wheel Cleaner on some client`s rides and overall I`m really impressed with this product. It is unmistakably an acid in it`s function, but it is not nearly as hazardous to use as something like Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener. The formula this cleaner appears to use is called urea hydrochloride, a mixture of urea and hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. The pH level is relatively mild at 5 but acts as a much stronger acid. I`ve found that this formula is frequently used as a cement truck wash solution, to give an idea of its strength. It is sometimes called a "synthetic acid".

To use, I diluted it 1:11 per the directions for "extra strength". I first rinse the wheel and spray this stuff on. Then let it dwell for ~30 seconds and rinse off. At this point the majority of brake dust and grime are already gone. Afterwards I do my normal routine of spraying with Brake Buster or D143 through my IK foamer and agitate the wheels/tires with various brushes. The wheel cleaning portion of this is MUCH easier with the pre-treatment with 3D Super to the point that it basically requires zero effort, even on abused wheels.

On a whim I also decided to try it out on some chrome bits of a Tundra I was detailing. The chrome had some pretty nasty water spots, but a spray with this stuff, a few moments to dwell, and a rinse basically removed all of the spots with essentially zero effort. This stuff works great for chrome!

I also decided to use it to decon my own car that is coated with Cquartz TiO2. After a contact wash, I sprayed it on painted surfaces, let dwell for a short period then rinsed off. I feel it revived some coating properties and brought back some beading. I think this is reasonable to use as a coating decon as it`s pH level isn`t a coating killer.

I`m gonna continue experimenting with this product`s usefulness, but I must say it is a killer wheel pre-treat cleaner. And it doesn`t have much of an odor or reaction with other surfaces. It has 100% replaced iron remover for wheel cleaning duties for me.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear about 3d Super Wheel Cleaner! I have it sitting here but haven`t broken into it yet. I did however break into the AutoFanatic Professional Wheel Cleaning Foam. I`m intending on doing a thread with a review when I get a chance. It was pretty effective, I have my dilution ratio written down in the garage, but did the highest the recommended in my IK foamer. Required some agitation, but nothing was leftover when done, like I`ve had with Brake Buster (great for economy and light maintenance washes). My favorite thing about it, though, was no fumes. I`d used Bilt Hamber Korrosol on some wheels the previous week and I could smell it for days.
    Likes crg001 liked this post
    Thanks crg001 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

3D Yellow Degreaser 106 128 oz.

I find it works great on wheels & tires.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information