Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Spray on sealants vs. Traditional paste or liquid wx and sealants

I seem to have hit a crossover point in life. As I am in my mid 50`s, now retired, and my wife and I have an empty nest, I want more time to travel, explore and enjoy life (yes, you can read that as less time spent detailing the cars). This combined with an abundance of newer, easier to use, durable spray sealants and "hybrids", I am wondering how many of you have switched over from traditional paste and liquid waxes and sealants to one of these spray sealants that seem to be all the rage?

1) If so, how have they worked for you?

2) What are your favorites, and do you find them to be at least an acceptable replacement for the more traditional products?

3) How often are you using them?

4) Do you use a dedicated topper such as a spray wax over top the newer supposedly more durable and long lasting spray sealants and SI02 hybrids?

5) What has been your experience in using them in a northern climate during winter?

6) How do they apply in a garage where the air temperature is above freezing, but still in the 30`s or low 40`s?

I appreciate any feedback. The Griot`s Ceramic 3-1 has my attention. It has to be much easier to use than Sonax PNS. Their Ceramic Speed Shine Detailer seems like the perfect product to keep the 3-1 like new, just like BSD does for PNS. I really have grown tired of the PNS application and the grabbiness it and BSD have, but their protection is so nice.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray on sealants vs. Traditional paste or liquid wx and sealants

I`m sure the Griots 3 in 1 is good. I`ve used the Wolfgang sprays with good results. Washing with an SIO2 wash will add some protection as well.
    Thanks RPPM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I went a little over 3 years using OCW on my Jeep. Paint looked as good at year three as day one. There really is no good reason to not use a good spray wax as your complete protection unless your neglect washes.

Post Thanks / Like

you might want to try Blackfire one step and Blackfire SIO2 spray sealant....both are easy on and easy off....a lot of detailers are using this combo

Post Thanks / Like

First of all Kris, nice to see your post.
    Glad to hear of your life change. Sounds like you`re doing well.
    FWIW, I haven`t used a paste or liquid wax on my DD Black Buick since Covid hit. It gets washed at least bi-weekly with either ONR or DG Rinseless and I use a drying aid almost every time. I alternate randomly between D156, Aquawax & Beadmaker. It looks as good as ever and using a drying aid adds only a few minutes to the wash time.
    Griots, 303 and Hybrid Solutions are on my list for the future, but not until I use up more of the gallons of the above.
    I`ll probably do a full polish eventually, at which time it will get either a couple coats of a Collinite or a DG product, but from there it`ll be spray waxes all year.

Bill
    Likes RPPM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax released a spray coating and matching QD to address the "grabiness" concerns of PNS and BSD, they use Si carbon technology which is known for its slickness. Probably worth looking in to.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-xtrem...y-coating.html

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-ceram...-detailer.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I went a little over 3 years using OCW on my Jeep. Paint looked as good at year three as day one. There really is no good reason to not use a good spray wax as your complete protection unless your neglect washes.
    I`m still just using the OCW on my wife`s A8. No, it`s not FK1000P, but it`s basically effortless and while the paint sure isn`t protected very well, it looks plenty good enough (and that`s by *my* standards ).
    Likes Cadfael, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    First of all Kris, nice to see your post.
    Glad to hear of your life change. Sounds like you`re doing well.
    FWIW, I haven`t used a paste or liquid wax on my DD Black Buick since Covid hit. It gets washed at least bi-weekly with either ONR or DG Rinseless and I use a drying aid almost every time. I alternate randomly between D156, Aquawax & Beadmaker. It looks as good as ever and using a drying aid adds only a few minutes to the wash time.
    Griots, 303 and Hybrid Solutions are on my list for the future, but not until I use up more of the gallons of the above.
    I`ll probably do a full polish eventually, at which time it will get either a couple coats of a Collinite or a DG product, but from there it`ll be spray waxes all year.

Bill
    Hey Bill, thanks for the kind words. Your comments along with ones others have posted are really getting me thinking there is really no reason to use a dedicated paste, or liquid sealant /or wax anymore. Technology being what it is currently, I am thinking bi-weekly washes (or when needed) and a monthly shot of (insert your favorite spray on sealant/wax here) offers enough protection. It looks like the Griots will approach DG/Collinite/FK1000P/Sonax PNS levels. At the very least, I could apply that quarterly and probably have outstanding protection w/o in a matter of minutes. I really would love to get to a spring clean up with a mild finishing polish after clay and decon and finish with one of these spray sealants. Then refresh the sealant once every 3 months (heck, as quick as they are, even monthly) and let it go.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still just using the OCW on my wife`s A8. No, it`s not FK1000P, but it`s basically effortless and while the paint sure isn`t protected very well, it looks plenty good enough (and that`s by *my* standards

Sorry to hijack this but have you compared OCW to Duragloss AW?
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still using Opti-seal and love how easy it is to apply. Great WOWA product!
    Dave
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t used and actual paste/liquid wax in years. The recent offerings of spray waxes/sealants/coatings has worked extremely well for me. My product I`m currently "testing" is the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating. So far I`m impressed with it.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I have quit using anything paste wax or sealant. I don’t even have it in my arsenal anymore. I try to use 1 aggressive polish, and maybe some 3-1 polish for details. Otherwise everything is in sprays. And I absolutely love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Sorry to hijack this but have you compared OCW to Duragloss AW?
    No, sorry. All I`ve tried like that are: OCW, Meg`s UQW, and various leave-stuff-behind QD/RW.
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    No, sorry. All I`ve tried like that are: OCW, Meg`s UQW, and various leave-stuff-behind QD/RW.
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a lot of spray waxes and the ones I like are the new tw ice spray wax ,tw seal and shine, dura gloss aqua wax ,eagle one wipe and shine ,eagle one nano spray wax ,and dura gloss fast clean and shine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information