Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Next "best wash brush" other than a boars hair

I ran over my 90 dollar boars hair brush and broke it in half and I`m not in the mood to spend that on another one. Oddly, I didn`t use it much. But the knees and back are getting old and my truck is big so what`s the next best brush or wash mit material "on a stick"?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next "best wash brush" other than a boars hair

There`s something other than a Boar Brush?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    There`s something other than a Boar Brush?
    I`m hoping Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I`m seeing is chenille microfiber wash mops. Anyone have any experience with a certain brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Only thing I`m seeing is chenille microfiber wash mops. Anyone have any experience with a certain brand?
    Wash Mop Stick Kit - Griot`s Garage (griotsgarage.com)

I use Griots to do the top of out SUV`s without needing a ladder.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    I had that one - worked well, especially good for the roof.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

General Lee:
    I would suggest the Microfiber Madness IncrediPole Full Kit from Sky`s The Limit Car Care detailing supply (Sorry, no links due to forum rules) as a "less expensive" alternate to the now-broken boar hair`s brush-and-pole.

If you do go that route, PLEASE tell us what your thoughts are about using this wash cleaning device on washing your truck and how it compares to the boar hair brush. And if it sounds like I am trying to goat you into buying this pad-and-pole washing equipment and then you and your truck be the "Guinea Pig" for the trial experiment test-and-review, well, then I am guilty as charged.
    (Captain Obvious: always tying to spend someone else`s money for them! Sounds good, though, doesn`t it. Just sayin`....)

My wife bought me a step platform MANY years ago for my birthday (Yes, I picked it out) and it is one of the best investments for washing and drying (or other detailing tasks) high-profile (AKA, tall) vehicles. AND, if you go that route, six safety-related admonishments to remember:
    1) ALWAYS use the locking tabs on the two collapsible step end feet. They can easily collapse as you get up on the platform, even if it used to quickly reach and clean the bugs off the middle of the windshield. (Been there, done that, not good!)
    2) Add some type of safety anti-slip adhesive tape to the top aluminum platform. It is similar (or the same as) to what skateboarders use to get more grip on slippery skateboard surfaces they stand on. Soapy water and formed aluminum, even with slight ribbing in them, are NOT a good mix for standing on.
    3) If it`s a taller height step platform, use the intermediate step in the side feet to get up onto the top platform rather than just one giant step or jumping up onto the platform. It is just a lot easier on the (getting older) legs.
    4) Consider adding some type of cushion or pad to the side edges closest to the vehicle side panel fenders. Even cut-up thin closed-foam padding (like that from an old, worn-out thin polishing pad) duct taped to the corners can prevent some nasty "accidental" paint scratches, even if it does look a little "redneck"
    5a) When up on the platform, LOOK DOWN AT YOUR FEET BEFORE MOVING THEM. Sounds stupid, but if you are concentrating on what you are washing or doing while standing up on the platform, it is easy to mis-step off the platform and have a nasty or debilitating fall OR scratch the vehicle fender panel with the end of your shoes.
    5b) Don`t over-reach beyond the end of the platform. Get down and move the platform as needed. Strained backs or falls are avoidable, although it`s easy to just reach a `little further" (or so it seemed).
    6) Don`t use the platform on uneven or soft ground, like a hilly grass lawn. Sometimes that`s the best place to wash a vehicle in the shade or nearest the water supply, but you are asking for trouble doing it with the step platform, especially if it`s a taller height step platform. It just too easy for you to fall back off of it OR have the platform tilt or slide into the fender panel, depending on the direction and steepness of the incline. I run into this situation washing trucks or SUVs at cabins/cottages/trailer-homes up north in the backwoods (or at least in Wisconsin/Michigan`s Upper Peninsula it`s "Up Nort`) And yes, I have used ever-present flat limestone rocks to act as shims to level things out. Looks REALLY redneck.

The platform step also makes a great stool or chair to sit on while polishing/buffing the lowest part of side fender panels on high-profile vehicles, rather than bending over or kneeling. Saves on the back.
    GB detailer
    Likes Bindytou, mc2hill, grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! At least there are a couple options. I already use a microfiber mitt like the one on the griots pole and I`m fairly pleased.

@Lonnie - If I decide on the madness incredipole I will post about it. It looks very soft, and I have used material/mitts like it and it traps junk that sometimes is a PIA to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    General Lee:
    I would suggest the Microfiber Madness IncrediPole Full Kit from Sky`s The Limit Car Care detailing supply (Sorry, no links due to forum rules) as a "less expensive" alternate to the now-broken boar hair`s brush-and-pole.

If you do go that route, PLEASE tell us what your thoughts are about using this wash cleaning device on washing your truck and how it compares to the boar hair brush. And if it sounds like I am trying to goat you into buying this pad-and-pole washing equipment and then you and your truck be the "Guinea Pig" for the trial experiment test-and-review, well, then I am guilty as charged.
    (Captain Obvious: always tying to spend someone else`s money for them! Sounds good, though, doesn`t it. Just sayin`....)

My wife bought me a step platform MANY years ago for my birthday (Yes, I picked it out) and it is one of the best investments for washing and drying (or other detailing tasks) high-profile (AKA, tall) vehicles. AND, if you go that route, six safety-related admonishments to remember:
    1) ALWAYS use the locking tabs on the two collapsible step end feet. They can easily collapse as you get up on the platform, even if it used to quickly reach and clean the bugs off the middle of the windshield. (Been there, done that, not good!)
    2) Add some type of safety anti-slip adhesive tape to the top aluminum platform. It is similar (or the same as) to what skateboarders use to get more grip on slippery skateboard surfaces they stand on. Soapy water and formed aluminum, even with slight ribbing in them, are NOT a good mix for standing on.
    3) If it tall enough, use the intermediate step in the side feet to get up onto the top platform rather than just one giant step or jumping up onto the platform. It is just a lot easier on the (getting older) legs.
    4) Consider adding some type of cushion or pad to the side edges closest to the vehicle side panel fenders. Even cut-up thin closed-foam padding (like that from an old, worn-out thin polishing pad) duct taped to the corners can prevent some nasty "accidental" paint scratches, even if it does look a little "redneck"
    5a) When up on the platform, LOOK DOWN AT YOUR FEET BEFORE MOVING THEM. Sounds stupid, but if you are concentrating on what you are washing or doing while standing up on the platform, it is easy to mis-step off the platform and have a nasty or debilitating fall OR scratch the vehicle fender panel with the end of your shoes.
    5b) Don`t over-reach beyond the end of the platform. Get down and move the platform as needed. Strained backs or falls are avoidable, although it`s easy to just reach a `little further" (or so it seemed).
    6) Don`t use the platform on uneven or soft ground, like a hilly grass lawn. Sometimes that`s the best place to wash a vehicle in the shade or nearest the water supply, but you are asking for trouble doing it with the step platform, especially if it`s a taller height step platform. It just too easy for you to fall back off of it OR have the platform tilt or slide into the fender panel, depending on the direction and steepness of the incline. I run into this situation washing trucks or SUVs at cabins/cottages/trailer-homes up north in the backwoods (or at least in Wisconsin/Michigan`s Upper Peninsula it`s "Up Nort`) And yes, I have used ever-present flat limestone rocks to act as shims to level thing out. Looks REALLY redneck.

The platform step also makes a great stool or chair to sit on while polishing/buffing the lowest part of side fender panels on high-profile vehicles, rather than bending over or kneeling. Saves on the back.
    Thank you for that very thoughtful and thorough run down on the cautions and advice when using a step platform. They work so very well, but are not w/o risks. Some months ago, I had an old household step stool that I was using to do the roof of my car. I left it a little too close to the door when I went to do the back of the car and when I tugged the hose, it pushed the stool into the door. Stupid and lazy move on my part, and only very, very slight dent, but metal against metal does not fare well for painted surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a link to an Auto Fanatic YT video comparing the Incredipole to the Griots version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQqD8TMLYl4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    General Lee:

3) If it`s a taller height step platform, use the intermediate step in the side feet to get up onto the top platform rather than just one giant step or jumping up onto the platform. It is just a lot easier on the (getting older) legs.
    6) Don`t use the platform on uneven or soft ground, like a hilly grass lawn. Sometimes that`s the best place to wash a vehicle in the shade or nearest the water supply, but you are asking for trouble doing it with the step platform, especially if it`s a taller height step platform. It just too easy for you to fall back off of it OR have the platform tilt or slide into the fender panel, depending on the direction and steepness of the incline. I run into this situation washing trucks or SUVs at cabins/cottages/trailer-homes up north in the backwoods (or at least in Wisconsin/Michigan`s Upper Peninsula it`s "Up Nort`) And yes, I have used ever-present flat limestone rocks to act as shims to level things out. Looks REALLY redneck.

I cannot speak on the Microfiber Madness IncrediPole Full Kit, but the Microfiber Madness IncrediPad is a fantastic wash pad. I am on my 2nd one, after using the first for several years before passing it along to a client. I have been washing our Accord with them since it was new and no swirls after 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the microfiber wash pads "grabby". I push them over the surface. My favorite is a cotton chenille I buy at Ace hardware for $8ish, they slide across the surface for me.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to break down and get another Montana boars hair brush
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    I decided to break down and get another Montana boars hair brush
    Those are still OK IMO, or at least they were the last time I bought new ones. Better CD-test `em to be sure though.

I *do* prefer their "Blonde" versions , but those are *AWFULLY* gentle.

Remember that they`re actually made by Universal Brush, and you`ll have more options buying `em direct (though maybe paying more). (And their Wheel Brushes are still lousy compared to the ones from Wheel Woolies.)
    Likes General Lee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gorilla branded platforms much better than the Werner ones due to a locking pin that does not come undone or allow sway. Added bonus, built in carry handle and legs fold under the platform for storage.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information