Post Thanks / Like

Do you ever throw product,away?

Let me explain:

ive always used klasse AIO and,sealant glaze. Way back when I used Meg 21. I recently used jescar powerlock+. It is hands down the,easiest product to remove I’ve,tried,to,date. Klasse sealant is harder,to remove. I’ll likely never use it, but throwing 32 oz of it away goes against my frugal principals.

ive also “switched” to rupes da polish system. I’m very happy with it. Although I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. Hd speed and rupes Uno are fantastic.

I polished our 2018 rav. It looks great. I used rupes blue wool, then yellow pads. 2 coats of powerlock. Extremely impressed. But I may just try rupes AIO.

I still,have megs 105 and 205. Haven’t used them in years but also don’t know if I should dispose of?

what do u guys do with your “stuff”
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you ever throw product,away?

Either give it away to a curious Forum member or toss in garbage.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just tossed out a bunch of stuff in the garbage. Nobody wanted it here and i have no need for it.

I’ll be going through some other cabinets and I’m sure I’ll be tossing out more stuff.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Older, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Some things I keep for non car related stuff, other stuff I toss.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to keep everything unless I REALLY dislike it. In that case it’s in the trash.

over the years as I learned more and more about detailing I would occasionally find uses for old products I didn’t throw out. Experience and knowledge make you realize sometimes some products aren’t actually as bad as you first thought

Post Thanks / Like

Chemicals are suppose to be disposed of (legally) at hazardous waste drop-off sites. This includes paints cleaners & thinners as well as paint itself.
    That`s great IF the Hazardous Waste drop-off site is nearby and you don`t have to pay fee, but not every locale has that, hence, the comments about placing them in the garage or dumping them in the landfill. (So says the ecologically-irresponsible Captain Obvious. Hey, I clean cars, not the environment. Just sayin`...)

When you said throw car-care chemicals/products away, I was of the understanding that these were products that either did not work out (bought it, tried it; Nope, didn`t like it), or you don`t use anymore, or products that changed in their chemical composition or just plain "expired".
    Then again, how many of us Autopians have an "Accumulation" of older products that are somewhere in the garage or basement shelf collecting dust. You pick it up and look at it, thinking, "When was the last time I used this?", then remember it was on a vehicle you used to own 30 years ago. Like your 1988 Toyota Camry All-Trac that never looked so good! Ah yes, the memories. The car is LONG gone, but not the car-care products. Time to let go and throw it away.

BUT, BEFORE YOU THROW OUT THAT CARNAUBA WAX, read my list of things you can do with that wax:
    (Please do not laugh at some of them; remember I am "a seasoned detailer" with "experience")
    1) Snow-blower chutes and lawnmower under-decks to keep snow and wet grass from sticking, respectively.
    2) Slide rule inner log linear vernier (AKA, moving stick part) (Don`t ask what a slide rule is unless you are an engineer or mathematician)
    3) Kid`s bicycles (Good way to develop relationships with neighborhood young people, plus the bad ones do not egg your house at Halloween or in their later years in High School, at Homecoming time. Just sayin`...)
    4) Appliances (especially painted/powder coated refrigerators at holiday time; guests and family are dumbfounded with the shine)
    5) Wooden drawer slides or glides
    6) Driving in nails or screws in hardwoods (an old woodworker`s and carpenter`s trick)
    7) Air conditioner compressor housings or generator enclosures (service tech`s cannot believe what they see)
    8) Painted metal doors (especially white painted aluminum screen or outer doors)
    9) Wood doors edges that are tight in the frame (like those that swell in summer)
    10) Model metal car collections (S100 makes my unboxed 1/24-scale model metal 911 Porsches ready for the holidays)
    11) Varnished wood acoustic guitars or colored lacquer electric guitars(Meg`s M16 was actually a preferred wax by some guitar makers)
    12) Metal or plastic playground slides (Use caution: taller slides can REALLY send small kids flying if adults are unaware of a "waxed" slide, as the kid becomes a small projectile that the adult may not catch or get knocked over with at the slide end)
    13) Toboggan or saucer bottoms (MUCH cheaper than ski wax)
    14) Snow shovels for wet snow OR Dirt shovels or spades for clay (Works REALLY well)
    15) Linoleum or tile floors for sliding across with wool socks on for the longest-distance slide "competitions" (OK, I did this as a kid and it was HIGHLY dangerous and frowned upon by my parents, not to mention the "difficulty" in removing with ammonia cleaners and elbow grease by said applicator!!)
    16) Bathroom porcelain sinks and toilets and fiberglass shower stalls (DO NOT do the toilet seat!! Women will slide off; NOT pretty especially if it is your Mom or significant other)
    17) Black leather shoes as an emergency shoe-polish substitute (Patten-leather REALLY likes M16)

As you can see, I have used carnauba waxes for a lot of "non-vehicle" applications, model cars and bikes as the exceptions.
    GB detailer
    Likes RPPM, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I tend to keep everything unless I REALLY dislike it. In that case it’s in the trash.

over the years as I learned more and more about detailing I would occasionally find uses for old products I didn’t throw out. Experience and knowledge make you realize sometimes some products aren’t actually as bad as you first thought

its a combination of all of that. I don’t think anything actually expires so long as it’s capped tight and not subjected to extremes.

I’ll never use klasse sealant after using powerlock+. The easy wi-off is worth the admission.

klasse AIO I’ll still use for glass.

I haven’t used 105/205 in years, like 5 or more. I want to throw out but kept them just in case you get that weird paint on a car.

it’s just that the new rupes da pads and chemicals are fantastic and do what I need for the cars I presently own. Just trying to downgrade and consolidate all my stuff. My basement is starting to look like an auto geek auxiliary warehouse, and the wife is starting to suspect I’ve spent way too,much money.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to quote Lonnie in the last post. Not sure what happened

Post Thanks / Like

This old dog learning a new trick - detailing - never build up a lot of products. So i keep all mine, don`t take up much room.

I actually tried a chemical guys polish on a junk panel one day last winter - after using it 2 years prior - and it was nicer to used then i remembered. Nothing i would buy again but not too bad. Something i would give away to someone and tell them my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Only dispose of spoiled stuff or junk. Other than that I give away or have friends use up when they come over.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I still like KSG for some things, and never found it hard to buff off as long as I applied it right (thin *thin* *THIN*...as in, <1oz. for a Suburban including wheels and jambs). BUT then again, I bet it`s been reformulated since I got mine in the `90s (still perfectly good too).

Anyhow... while regulars here know that I *hate* stuff going to waste, if a product is No Good for me, I`ll either give it to somebody who likes it or throw it away with no regrets. I refuse to struggle to "master" any product so it`s effective and Accumulator-proof, or else it`s gone.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Thread Information