Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How many different products do you have / really need?

So I got me a nice “can’t do anything cause of super deadly contagious covid” present. Bigfoot 15. Whoo how!

anyhow I was glowing through my “collection” of machinery and products of all things detailing. I’ve decided that when it takes you longer to go through all the stuff than it does to detail a car inside and out maybe it’s time to rethink, and consolidate.

some of my stuff over laps, some of its “new” some of its local cause easier to obtain, etc.

my local “industrial” detail,supplier told me most of the stuff much the same, and even produced by the same few companies, just smells different, etc.

just wanted to pick your brains a bit. I’m looking to simplify my collection not just for cost, but clutter. Less gallons, and less spray bottles, etc.

Here’s what I have:

car wash soap: CG Mellon, or mr pink. Whatever is available, and cheaper. Sometimes ps remy Doyle wash

iron remover: whatever Is available

detail,spray: 5 gallons almost gone. Mainly used for claying (going to be replaced by onr)

onr: nuff said. Detail spray, clay lube, wash, and I use it to wipe down jambs.

apc: megs, or ps whatever is available (possibly replaced by opc)

megs glass cleaner: the blue stuff that gets diluted.

ps remy Doyle interior cleaner: I really like this stuff. Can be replaced with apc, or my chief steamer with plain water but this stuff really looks nice for our pool table cover. Might just keep it.

wheel ‘ tire cleaner: might be replaced with opc

water based dressing: tires / engine bay / maybe tonneau cover??

303 aerospace protectant: only use this for tonneau simply because tonneau retailer said to use this stuff. I really like it, but if replaceable………. I tried this on the interior of my truck and also really liked it.

beadmaker and megs spray,wax: drying aids and boost the protection every wash.

simple green: don’t laugh. Engine bays. Works great and I’ve used it on every car from brand new and it works (can be replaced by onr and apc?)

tuffstuff tire cleaner and tire coating: absolutely one of the most over rated and disappointing products I’ve ever purchased. Don’t even think I’m gonna use it up, and just trash it. Shem on tuffstuff. They do make a nice tire brush however.

dedicated bug remover: possibly replaced by opc

the opc is really nice but expensive. I won’t use it straight on tires and rims as my current cleaner is cheaper. But at 3:1 it’s,viable. can use this stuff on engine bay, bugs, tires/wheels.

onr will replace detail spray.

just wondering if,ya’ll have done a purge to simplify?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many different products do you have / really need?

Probably the reverse for me. I started simple but have realised both tangible and intangible gains from using dedicated products for specific purposes, APC being the real exception! I suspect I may not be representative of the majority of people who get enjoyment from an easy life and simplicity.

Of course that is a money pit and the end results to the untrained eye would be difficult to pick up, but I love product testing, am forever attempting to refine my process and couldn`t be without either now that I have been on that journey for a while.

Doing a few cars throughout the year allows me to fund this expensive hobby and use up any product I have no further use for on my own / family cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d argue that even the trained eye can’t determine this from that. Most of the stuff is the same. At least that’s what I’m finding.
    Likes roscopervis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    I’d argue that even the trained eye can’t determine this from that. Most of the stuff is the same. At least that’s what I’m finding.
    Well, that may be. And always has been. Sort of. I think products now are in general a lot better than when I came here 17 years ago. I still have tons of stuff I bought 17 years ago, 16 years ago, 15 years ago...you get the idea. I wish I could get myself to throw more of it out or just use more of it, because there are newer products that are a lot better that I would be more likely to use...if I didn`t have all this other stuff to use up.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, that may be. And always has been. Sort of. I think products now are in general a lot better than when I came here 17 years ago. I still have tons of stuff I bought 17 years ago, 16 years ago, 15 years ago...you get the idea. I wish I could get myself to throw more of it out or just use more of it, because there are newer products that are a lot better that I would be more likely to use...if I didn`t have all this other stuff to use up.

I think the paint prep stuff is a lot better, and continues,to evolve. But cleaning interiors, glass, etc I mean how much better can a cleaner get?

I get good results with my steamer (no chemicals just water). Yet I use ps interior cause it smells great.

some things are subjective I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

I think the paint prep stuff is a lot better, and continues,to evolve. But cleaning interiors, glass, etc I mean how much better can a cleaner get?

I get good results with my steamer (no chemicals just water). Yet I use ps interior cause it smells great.

some things are subjective I suppose.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another one

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer in specific detailing-task chemical products. Those car-care products were developed and formulated for specific detailing "problems" to clean, correct, remove, protect, and/or enhance the appearance of that area or material type on a vehicle.

Can you get by with less products? Yes, but All-Purpose cleaners (APCs) may be good for cleaning interiors, but they do not remove stubborn, baked-on brake dust from rims or remove tar from plastic fender bottom skirts or ferrous contamination embedded in clear coat/paint.

I also think that akin to having the right tool for the right job, having the right car-care chemical for the detailing task or problem at hand makes accomplishing that task or resolving the problem easier and achieving the desired end results in vehicle detailing appearance.

It is also one of the reasons smart vehicle owners take their vehicle to a professional detailer because they know they have the tools, car-care chemicals, and know-how and ability to detail a vehicle correctly and completely nor do they wish to spend (I think of it as "investing", my other half thinks of it " wasting" money is her term. Semantics!) hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on said detailing tools and car-car products.

I also make the analogy that individuals can spend hundreds, if not thousands, on their particular hobby or leisure interest. Detailing is no different.
    Detailing IS my hobby and doing it right and making it enjoyable and I dare say, even "profitable" that requires the right tools and car-care products to do so.

Let`s just say this: when I spend hours detailing my other-half`s vehicle and it looks like it "just can off the new-car showroom", she does not mind the fact that I (really "we", because it is her money as well) have "invested" in the many detailing tools and car-care products to do what I do to and for vehicles.
    GB detailer
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I am a firm believer in specific detailing-task chemical products. Those car-care products were developed and formulated for specific detailing "problems" to clean, correct, remove, protect, and/or enhance the appearance of that area or material type on a vehicle.

Can you get by with less products? Yes, but All-Purpose cleaners (APCs) may be good for cleaning interiors, but they do not remove stubborn, baked-on brake dust from rims or remove tar from plastic fender bottom skirts or ferrous contamination embedded in clear coat/paint.

I also think that akin to having the right tool for the right job, having the right car-care chemical for the detailing task or problem at hand makes accomplishing that task or resolving the problem easier and achieving the desired end results in vehicle detailing appearance.

It is also one of the reasons smart vehicle owners take their vehicle to a professional detailer because they know they have the tools, car-care chemicals, and know-how and ability to detail a vehicle correctly and completely nor do they wish to spend (I think of it as "investing", my other half thinks of it " wasting" money is her term. Semantics!) hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on said detailing tools and car-car products.
    I always appreciate when you read write ups by the pros (and experienced enthusiasts ) and you can see their knowledge and expertise in how they use certain products for certain applications (it especially comes up in carpet/interior cleaning). To me, a true professional approaches a detail using that knowledge and expertise they have of the science behind the flaw (stain/deposit/etc) to safely and effectively remove it to bring the car back to the best condition it can be.

Instead of just rubbing an All Purpose Cleaner on something because the name says All Purpose, they know when to use PH balance or whatever is in a product`s Secret Sauce to their advantage to get the best results - not only in the short term, but also for the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the tried and true Apc, glass cleaner, wheel acid, abrasives ect. I do explore the latest and greatest LSP

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been trying to simplify for over 3 years lol. Ive made some strides but then I find a situation where a specific product would have helped me and I go back.

Couple things I see "missing` from your list OR I missed them are #1 Leather conditioner (303 does a good job but specific leather dressing is just a bit better most times) #2 Tar remover I really like CarPro Tar-X
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

nan_wpg- Watch that you keep (the regular version of) Simple Green off aluminum and alkaline APCs off leather (or neutralize them promptly; leather should be left slightly acidic).

FWIW, and I only work on our cars (not a Pro), I find that I have basically no use for APCs/Degreasers as I simply don`t need them (not even for undercarriages/etc.). Regular shampoos work fine instead...

And FWIW#2, the only things I dress are tires. Not Interiors, nothing under the hood...just tires.

OPC is great stuff, I really like it...just don`t need it for anything these days. But again, I`m just doing our household`s vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

nam_wgn:
    You new Rupe`s BigFoot MkIII 15 will cause you spend even more to get the maximum utilization and efficiency out of it.
    You will need:
    1) More pad types (color-coded foam types) for different correcting, polishing, and LSP product application
    2) More pads to not have to stop and clean them as they become dirty from use (at least 5 of each type)
    3) More compounds and polishes from different car-care manufacturers (Very subjective because what one manufacturer`s compound may not work well on soft paint, while another manufacturer`s may work well on soft, but not-so-good on hard ceramic clear-coat)
    Depends on how many different vehicle manufacturers from you may detail for others, OR if you detail just your own "fleet" or collection.

I never liked the idea of "lest is more". I understand the idea of trying to consolidate/eliminate products/processes/employees and to become more profitable for the company or government entity as well as becoming "more efficient". What my business/career/professional experience with that has been is:
    1) It is more work for the employee(s) who are left because they assume the work/tasks/duties responsibility of those who are gone.
    2) The products left require more work or problems to use. (Like the "bright idea" to save paper costs and no longer print engineering computer-aided drawings on "costly" 11x17 paper and ONLY on "much less expensive" 8-1/2 x 11" sheets . The single 8-1/2 x 11" is too small and the print of the larger drawings is illegible, so now I need to print TWO 8-1/2 x 11 and tape them together, so the shop can still read them. DAHHHHHHH!!!)
    3) Those who make such decisions have never used those products or done the job, so they do not understand the full consequences of the "less is more" concept.
    "Penny wise and pound foolish" is more like it.

For a mobile detailer who needs to carry only the essential detailing products, having as few as possible of those products as possible makes sense.
    But not having the "right" product for a detailing task or problem can be a "challenge" all in itself. It would be common sense to have many detailing products in smaller 4 or 6 ounce dispenser bottles for use, rather than carrying the 16, 32 ounce or gallon container they were bought in. BUT that means having to buy those smaller dispensing bottles and having to refill them as needed.
    "For every problem there is a solution and with every solution it may bring new problems." (So says Captain Obvious, man of many cliches)
    GB detailer
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m just a detailing baby but i`m doing a pretty good job of not hoarding too many products and i use up 75-85% of my products on average. I have a few products i probably will never use again. Couple cg polishes comes to mine. I kinda picked a few brands i like though and just learning how to use there range, which i think is important. You have to use it at least a little while before you chase the next best thing. For instance, i`m preaching to the choir here but less is really best with most of these products, so its not the product, its the user.

I have a lot of carpro, some gyeon, tacsystems and even fireball. I`m into the korean stuff, partly because i have an asian wife with our young child and i love southeast asia in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Just another one
    I mean yes, and no to,what you,say. I just do my own cars and at the end of the day “detailing” is cleaning right? Clean is,clean?
    ive never had a brake dust issue. Wash the tires and rims once a week with opc or similar cleaner and be done. Never needed,a brake dust remover.

how much of this stuff is really the same thing just colored different;y and smells different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information