Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars 21, and 845

So going through some of my,old stash I stumbled upon ol faithful meguiars 21 sealant.

I also have some collinite 845 and I’d like to top the meguiars with it. Do I need to wait 3 hours like you do when 845 tops power lock?

nothing on the bottle of 21 suggests a wait or cure time other than wipe,off.

both 845 and 21 have that “chemical” smell and Ivan said sometimes the topper product removes the product your topping and is just a waste of time and product.

id like to,avoid that.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars 21, and 845

If it`s the old pre voc formula of 845, I`d suspect that it would remove the 21.
    Likes craigdt, ernman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    If it`s the old pre voc formula of 845, I`d suspect that it would remove the 21.
    how would I know that? It’s a new bottle of 845. The 21 is old stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I like about 845 is nostalgic feeling I think it stinks in terms of durability and the fact it looks like crap the next day because the oil resurface and sweat. I’d go straight Megs 21 or 20 that u have stuff is a awesome product to apply. And keep the 845 for your collect if you have a spray wax top the Megs with that
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Only thing I like about 845 is nostalgic feeling I think it stinks in terms of durability and the fact it looks like crap the next day because the oil resurface and sweat. I’d go straight Megs 21 or 20 that u have stuff is a awesome product to apply. And keep the 845 for your collect if you have a spray wax top the Megs with that
    I feel the exact opposite. For me 21 doesn`t even last as long as a good spray wax. 845 lasts 3-4 months, I haven`t used a sealant or wax that beats it`s durability.

I say two light coats of 845 for good coverage.
    Likes dwaleke, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I feel the exact opposite. For me 21 doesn`t even last as long as a good spray wax. 845 lasts 3-4 months, I haven`t used a sealant or wax that beats it`s durability.

I say two light coats of 845 for good coverage.
    both the 21 and 845 have been around forever. I was gonna go with the new car power lock and 845 until I discovered the old bottle of 21.

my buddy swears by collinite except he uses the paste stuff, 467 I think? Or 476. He puts on 2 coats twice a year and has been doing so forever.

Post Thanks / Like

476s is a bit more durable than 845 but also a tad bit more work to remove.

Both should easily outlast M21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    both the 21 and 845 have been around forever. I was gonna go with the new car power lock and 845 until I discovered the old bottle of 21.

my buddy swears by collinite except he uses the paste stuff, 467 I think? Or 476. He puts on 2 coats twice a year and has been doing so forever.
    so you think I’d be better off with two coats of 845, or 467 instead of 1 coat of 21 then a topper of collinite?

Post Thanks / Like

Both products have poor durability for today and what current products can offer. If you look at any durability test of 845 it doesn’t do well, and certainly not well enough to justify its exalted status amongst many. Based on the same logic, if you thought old mineral oil was the best you’ve ever used and the car makers hadn’t told you to use modern multi grade fully synthetic oils, you’d never move on from it and your engines would suffer more wear.

Lots of better products.
    Good old ADHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    Both products have poor durability for today and what current products can offer. If you look at any durability test of 845 it doesn’t do well, and certainly not well enough to justify its exalted status amongst many. Based on the same logic, if you thought old mineral oil was the best you’ve ever used and the car makers hadn’t told you to use modern multi grade fully synthetic oils, you’d never move on from it and your engines would suffer more wear.

Lots of better products.
    disagree. My post isn’t “hey man what’s better than 21 and 845”. Please respond accordingly or don’t. Thank you
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    disagree. My post isn’t “hey man what’s better than 21 and 845”. Please respond accordingly or don’t. Thank you
    Disagree with they are both poor in durability? Or there are lots of better products? Constructive advice, 2 layers of 845, the second after the first wash.
    Good old ADHD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
    Disagree with they are both poor in durability? Or there are lots of better products? Constructive advice, 2 layers of 845, the second after the first wash.
    disagree on poor durability. Kinda. You reference oil.

‘I’m saying for a sealant and wax these are durable products. Now if your talking coatings there’s an arguement to be made. But I’m talking good ol sealants,and,wax.

Post Thanks / Like

For me yeah both durability are pretty low 845 has been like any other wax 30 days and it’s shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I have extensive experience with 845, both the Pre/Post-VOC versions.

The Pre-VOC version did not strip previously applied products for me, not even fragile glazes, certainly not the stuff my AIOs/LSPs leave behind.

While the durability of 845 didn`t wow me, it lasted at least as long as M16, but not as long as 476S. Heh heh, if it only lasted a month for me, I`d have thrown it away (I only put up with that when using Souveran or SprayWaxes).

Multiple applications/coats/layers of 845 always lasted considerably longer than one coat (for me).

Nobody`s mentioned 845 on trim yet...

[The above is not an argument/criticism of what was previously posted on this thread. !YMMV! and all that, just posting *my* experience with it.]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    For me yeah both durability are pretty low 845 has been like any other wax 30 days and it’s shot.
    I don’t think you want it on trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information