Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating: Factors Affecting Longevity

I am not inquiring about any one particular product but, rather, I have a general question about the longevity of applied ceramic coatings.

Various ceramic coatings claim, and often achieve, various lengths of durability. Months or years of quantifiable scratch resistance, water hydrophobicity, or fouling resistance. I am a big fan of these products.

Certainly I recognize that frequent washings, especially brutal automated washings, will shorten the time span of effective protection. But my question is: If a product claims 24 month protection (for instance), but I immediately park the coated vehicle in a garage, completely hidden from washings, weather, 80mph dust and UV radiation for, say, (5) years, and THEN begin using the car in the outside world, does my 2-year expected life begin at that point? In other words, if the car is garaged, does the ceramic coating last essentially forever, or is it degraded by time (and oxygen?), even if I never wash it or expose it to weather?

Thanks for any and all insight that you may have........................... Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating: Factors Affecting Longevity

Welcome Frank!

In general, depending on the company and product, you should often cut the manufacturer’s longevity claims in half. And then potentially further reduce for a car that sees the elements 24/7 but those elements are different for dry vs wet areas and coastal or sandy areas. But in general, if a car is garaged and driven little, a coating will last a long time and a 24/7 outdoors vehicle will have reduced coating life. It also depends on how you care for your vehicle as drive-thru touch washes will reduce the life of a coating compared to an Autopian-style careful wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dgage. I appreciate your help......................... Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Sealing things away doesn’t always work out like you think...
    https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...iss-belvedere/

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was thinking a few years, not a "permanent" coating. My idea of a vehicle, even a super nice one, is something that should be used and enjoyed. But yes, a ceramic coating won`t last forever, even in a sealed garage.
    Likes wannafbody, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Too many factors for a definite answer. Theoretically, in climate controlled storage a coating shouldn`t degrade over a year or two. But in longer term storage anything is possible. I`ve seen pics of paint cracking and falling off cars in long term indoor storage, especially older single stage paint.

Part of it depends on how much heat and humidity is in your garage environment.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Too many factors for a definite answer. Theoretically, in climate controlled storage a coating shouldn`t degrade over a year or two. But in longer term storage anything is possible. I`ve seen pics of paint cracking and falling off cars in long term indoor storage, especially older single stage paint.

Part of it depends on how much heat and humidity is in your garage environment.
    Agree. Sun, heat, cold, humidity, weather, dust, wash products, toppers, washing frequency, washing techniques, etc all will have an impact in some way. Unless the vehicle is stored in a vacuum sealed box and kept in total darkness like some priceless art piece....
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, with a daily driver, Frank, the lifespan could be as short as a year.

FWIW, I coated one of my cars with the original Cquartz UK. This must have been 10 years ago. The car is always garaged and just isn`t driven very often, sadly. That Cquartz is still going strong even with a couple of washes during the year. Finish looks great when the dust is washed off.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks, one and all, for stepping up. I appreciate your input.

I enjoyed the story of `Miss Belvedere`, sad though it was. Clever idea, poorly executed.

I like tom p`s observation the best, of course. His success in Boston`s miserable weather strongly suggests that the eventual loss of coating is largely physical, rather than chemical, and that with meticulous care and protection, a ceramic coating may last much longer than advertised. I use my vehicles pretty hard, but still nice to know.

Again, thanks.......................... Frank
    Likes dgage, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s really two main factors I believe how much is car being driven and exposed and is it garaged. There are many other factors but those test the coating the most

non garaged vehicles get hit with the suns assortment of different types of rays, the the paint keeps expanding and shrink with change in temp, oxidation I would think happens faster and general junk from air landing and embedding those fancy garage owners don’t know how good they have it!

Welcome frank.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience measuring longevity & durability based on the mere passsge of time is a fools errand.

You’ll never know for sure how it will really turn out until you actually try it in your climate and your situation. Some things can be estimated by finding others experiences in similar conditions and usage but that’s still just an educated guess.

To wit:

We had 3 cars with considerably different usage patterns; all protected with same coating combo – (October 2016 thru May 2019)

Car 1 was at 3 years when I redid it outta curiosity. Applied October 2016, re-done June 2019 for different coating curiosity, original coating at 85% ‘as applied’ when redone so it woulda easily hit 5 years as long as usage and maintenance remained consistent.

Car 2 would have easily exceeded 5 years. (Sold January 2019, coating at 90% as applied in 08/2017)

Car 3 got to nearly 2 years` before needing to be redone. (applied September 2017, re-done in May 2019 @42k miles; still OK on hood, roof and trunk lid but toast on sides)

Car 1 is about 5500 miles a year, no freeway, sits outside from April thru November but only really driven daily November thru April, short trips, no freeway.

Car 2 is daily driver in nice weather, April thru November, usually no-rain days only, always garaged, 5500 miles a year, rarely freeway.

Car 3 is year round daily driver, generally always garaged, 25k miles a year, 95% freeway.

All are in NE Ohio.

Same protection, varying usage far different likely outcomes. Freeway use, especially during winter, is very, very hard on a vehicles finish. Here’s a bit of info on the many things Ohio could spray the roads down with in the Winter, many times preemptively when a storm is forecast…which often never comes to pass; I shoulda been a weatherman ‘cuz apparently all ya need is a coin to flip when predicting weather - Winter Road Treatments in Ohio:
    https://budgetplan1.files.wordpress....treatments.pdf

Having seen a lot of faded cars last time I was in Arizona, I’m guessing they have a whole different kind of nightmare to deal with, entire different set of circumstances to cope with.

Florida apparently has acid-filled Love Bugs that can etch paint if left for too long…another nightmare entirely.

Point being, no claims listed on a box can even begin to adequately predict longevity and in my world, mileage is a far better predictor of coating longevity than 1, 2, 3 years or "Lifetime!!!"
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    It’s really two main factors I believe how much is car being driven and exposed and is it garaged. There are many other factors but those test the coating the most

non garaged vehicles get hit with the suns assortment of different types of rays, the the paint keeps expanding and shrink with change in temp, oxidation I would think happens faster and general junk from air landing and embedding those fancy garage owners don’t know how good they have it!

Welcome frank.

Thanks.............................

Thread Information