Post Thanks / Like

Caulk removal questions

I’m in the middle of small bathroom/shower update. I have to remove existing caulk on hand I have citrol266, stoners tarinator, wowo tar, prep all, acetone, goo gone and nail polish remover. I also have a heat gun. Which one would work best and not effect the grout under neither? Thank you in advance.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caulk removal questions

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I’m in the middle of small bathroom/shower update. I have to remove existing caulk on hand I have citrol266, stoners tarinator, wowo tar, prep all, acetone, goo gone and nail polish remover. I also have a heat gun. Which one would work best and not effect the grout under neither? Thank you in advance.
    I have always used a plastic point scraper tool and a flat plastic scraper tool on caulk.. The regular caulk will just come out, the silicone caulk is more sticky and holds better, but it will come out eventually..
    I try to not use many chemicals that may harm other stuff like grout, etc.. Just a clean up like a qd or something..
    Remember, grout is just like a little mild cement.. Normally, all grout should be treated with a grout sealer to help it remain waterproof..
    Try to not use something metal which may scratch the finish, unless you don`t care about that... If not, any metal tool like a screwdriver will work, putty knife, etc..
    I`ve never tried chemicals on caulk, so sorry, I am not really helping..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caulk removal questions

I had a plastic scrapper and it did work without ruffing up the grout thanks for suggestion it worked well. I did end up using a little bit mail polish remover as a quick wipe up because I was trying to clean the porcelain and alcohol did seem strong enough. After reading your comments it made sense to me. I was originally worried about rubbing and physically damaging the grout but then though about what point you brought up and really soaking solvents into the grout might have caused me bigger issues.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information