Post Thanks / Like

Alkaline cleaners

Since I have come into detailing when everything seems to be PH-neutral....what exactly is a high alkaline cleaner, and what are some examples of some of these cleaners?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alkaline cleaners

I know some pre/snow foams are Alkaline like Bilt Hamber Autofoam and Car pros Lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All your degreasers and all purpose cleaners are usually alkaline. With the exception of Some “citrus” cleaners which sometime are not alkaline based.

Most degreasers and All purpose cleaner work great buy what is cheapest.

If your going to using them daily I recommend 3D’s cleaner they don’t irritate your lungs if your breathing fumes or mist in and seemed to be the least caustic.

Post Thanks / Like

High pH cleaners tend to work well to remove traffic film. However, not all alkaline cleaners are created equal. You can get caustic and non caustic products, with non caustic obviously being preferable on cars paint and for your health. Then you can get products that are cationic or non-cationic. Cationic products are positively charged so don`t rinse off the car as easily as they are attracted to the car, but that means that they are less likely to attract dust, with non-cationic being the opposite.

Bilt Hamber are probably the best exponents of these types of cleaners. They are all non caustic but highly effective. Bilt Hamber Autofoam is a cationic snowfoam/TFR and they have just released Touch-Less (it`s a pun) which is a non cationic snowfoam/TFR. There has been a bit of a groundswell in the UK about the potential for Autofoam to damage or at least hide the LSP`s hydrophobics at 4% concentration, no doubt related to the above. Bilt Hamber have reacted by producing a powerful cleaner that should visually affect LSP`s hydrophobics less.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As I re-read my initial post this afternoon I realized I was very vague.
    Here’s what I’m really asking. I was looking at adding more pump sprayers to my arsenal because over the summer I started detailing as a side gig. I like the pump sprayers because I’d rather pump it up and have a spray than constantly squeezing a trigger. As I was looking around at the IK pump sprayers and came across the alkaline pump sprayer. I had assumed most APC’s and degreasers were high alkaline cleaners....but we do dilute them.

So if I were to use an APC or Degreaser at a very low dilution ratio or un-diluted I am assuming I want this pump sprayer?

Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    As I re-read my initial post this afternoon I realized I was very vague.
    Here’s what I’m really asking. I was looking at adding more pump sprayers to my arsenal because over the summer I started detailing as a side gig. I like the pump sprayers because I’d rather pump it up and have a spray than constantly squeezing a trigger. As I was looking around at the IK pump sprayers and came across the alkaline pump sprayer. I had assumed most APC’s and degreasers were high alkaline cleaners....but we do dilute them.

So if I were to use an APC or Degreaser at a very low dilution ratio or un-diluted I am assuming I want this pump sprayer?

Get a average priced sprayer with hose and wand your not bending over all the time. The IK stuff is expensive. I get cheaper ones this way when I run it over again it doesn’t ruin my week!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Get a average priced sprayer with hose and wand your not bending over all the time. The IK stuff is expensive. I get cheaper ones this way when I run it over again it doesn’t ruin my week!
    Makes sense...a lot of sense actually. If I go with a handheld sprayer should I get one with a metal nozzle or a plastic nozzle for this purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

On another note. Are Kwazar bottles a good choice for an iron re,over or a tar remover?

Post Thanks / Like

The brands you are mentioning are expensive.

Detail popo in canada actually has a battery powered sprayer. Thats what i would buy if i would going to get something more expensive.

I`ve been using my father 15 years old pump sprayer the last 2 years. It works fine with degreasers.

Ironx i just use a regular trigger bottle and i don`t use ironx often.

Post Thanks / Like

Any one solo is a decent middle of the road brand all the others I have I don’t even know the name. Some of the tar removers are tough on plastics the water/d-lemone based like citrol266 were ok in my sprayers. The other ones that are solvent based can be used in sprayers but cannot be stored in sprayers long term they effect the plastic.

I alway went for 1 gallon sized sprayer so everything was easy to mix and light to hold. I also like the wand and hose on a sprayer

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, don`t even THINK of using Meg`s Detailer Pro D140 Acid-based Wheel Brightener with Spray Master bottle and spray nozzles, the grey bottle with blue print screen that has a supposedly 5-year guaranteed chemical-resistant nozzle. I went though two of them before using re-purposed Eagle-One`s A-to-Z Wheel Cleaner nozzles. Even washing them out religiously, I they only lasted about 6 applications. Tolco makes an acid-resistant nozzle that has gold-colored plastic to denote it as such and it is sold at the Autopia Store:
    . https://www.autopia-carcare.com/acid...l#.YBwo4rBKj3g
    (No, I do not have these nor tried using them with D140 Wheel Brightener. One of those "need to buy and try" items. )
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    The brands you are mentioning are expensive.

Detail popo in canada actually has a battery powered sprayer. Thats what i would buy if i would going to get something more expensive.

I picked up an "Airchr Automatic Spray Bottle" from amazon for $24, and so far I`ve been loving that thing. I`ve been using it at work for ONR for underhood cleaning, planning on picking up a couple more for other Rinseless wash pre-soaks for home. Actually does a really nice fine mist/good coverage. If you spin the tip to a straight stream, the thing`ll shoot 20+ feet..

If you search Battery powered plant misters, you`ll find other options. I`m surprised I haven`t seen more people mentioning/using them. $24 certainly isn`t nothing, but it was easier to try as an experiment at that price than for me to pull the trigger on a $40 + pump up sprayer.

Last part back on topic - I`m guessing if you used something real acidic/caustic it`d probably not be the best for the pump, but if you flushed it out when you were done you could probably get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

@lonnie I’ve used the black and gold ones they are almost the same I think as the grey and Still need to be replaced. Maybe they last slightly longer. I have the same issue with Megs acid and 303 fabric guard is another that destroys everything
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Thread Information