Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dawn Dish Soap Users Chime In!

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I can tell you are a beginner. Let me help you ☺
    Unless you have some sort of deathwish you must use a dedicated car wash soap. Keep using Dawn and you will dry out your seals and ruin your finish.

Another pro tip: Armor All will crack your dash.

Your welcome!
    Just FWIW, I`ve had utterly different experiences with regard to those products doing damage.

-Dawn never hurt *anything* for me (or the guys at my dealership who used it on nasty inventory for the first step)

-Armor All never hurt anhyting either, not even the old V1.0 stuff. Plenty of people here (including the MIA ScottWax) still use it for some things

No, I don`t use those products these days, but if they damaged things for you then your experiences were completely different from those of anybody I`ve ever known.

NO, I`m not challenging what you posted, different experiences just show how YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- Wonder if I just went through tires faster in the `70s (before the AA could affect `em)...and why AA didn`t damage my dashboards back then...not that it matters since they changed it, but still....

Post Thanks / Like

My father bought a scad of AA some time ago and I’m still using it up on his tires and wells. It doesn’t hurt a thing it just doesn’t last long at all.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

been a member since 2016...I only used it one time....now I use uber sio2 coating wash....The top gun on autogeek also has used it at times...I figured if it was ok for him to use it...why not me...

Post Thanks / Like

Tires back then used different ingrediants and rubber, were bias belted, 25,000 miles was average life. They literally beat themselves to death while being driven. Today 60,000 or more miles is not uncommon. The dimethal silicone fluid used in the first ArmorAll, is very migratory and would leech important chemicals such as plastizers , anti-oxidant waxes, etc from the rubber or plastics. Contributed to premature degradation.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ron Ketcham- Wonder if I just went through tires faster in the `70s (before the AA could affect `em)...and why AA didn`t damage my dashboards back then...not that it matters since they changed it, but still....
    You never noticed more "film" in warm weather on the inside of the glass?
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That sounds like their Power Dissolver, which I stocked up on prior to its being discontinued.

I never found it all that great for stripping my LSPs, but it used to be a cheap alternative to my rather pricey shampoos for vehicles that didn`t matter (which I now no longer bother washing).

The minimal lubricity/encapsulation preclude my using such stuff on anything that *does* matter, for fear of marring same.
    Nope.....new-ish Dawn product....not discontinued.....have a bottle of it in my kitchen right now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Nope.....new-ish Dawn product....not discontinued.....have a bottle of it in my kitchen right now
    For total removal of LSP, ferrous metal deposits, the Valugard ABC system has over 25 years of positive results, which is why vehicle manufacturers have issued TSB`s for it`s use.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s where Dawn "conspiracy theories" get started on this thread
    is dawn dish soap bad for your car?
    (WARNING: This was from the days of "forum flaming" questioning the detailing knowledge and skills of Autopian members and the soap opera banter between them)

And, let`s take a poll on using Dawn Dish Soap for car washes, from mid-October, 2004:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/forum...highlight=Dawn

What old is new; history repeats itself; what goes around comes around. (Oh yah.. Captain Cliche!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I quite using Dawn decades ago after I noticed it turning the rubber and plastic trim on my vehicles a dry, chalky white, faded look. When I quit using Dawn the problem went away. Not very scientific, but I did notice a change. Not sure if it was residue I could never get off, or if it was having some other effect on the surface. Either way, I`m better off not using it.

Overall, dish soap doesn`t seem to offer much lubrication and it takes more water/effort to rinse off. From strictly a usability standpoint, I prefer car wash soap.

While I won`t use it on my car any more, I do use it on my bicycle chain. It cuts chain grease as well as it does food grease from your dishes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I don`t get the sense of humour, but is this an in joke?

There are lots and lots of easily viewable tests that show typical dish soap doesn`t work to strip wax/sealants so all those who use it for that purpose are wasting their time. Also, dish soap has no lubrication so any wash media used will almost certainly cause marring, even if that media is `safe`.

You shouldn`t rely on chemicals to strip protection, abrasives are the only way to ensure the paint is stripped and clean.

https://youtu.be/L1wNAUJ-VmQ

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Hey, "Scientific" or not, your experience is your experience YMMV and all that.

roscopervis- I never found (regular) Dawn all that good at stripping LSPs either (exception being Souveran), but plenty of people seem to think it works. Ditto for Rubbing Alcohol, which some use to STRIP wax and others use to *rejuvenate* wax! (I don`t use it for either myself..)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    You never noticed more "film" in warm weather on the inside of the glass?
    No, but even as a uhm...young and irresponsible person..I was cleaning the glass all the time anyhow. Lots of smoking in the cars back then

Re its detrimental effect on tires, I never got even close to 10K out of any tires back then (note I was running Michelin`s "X Radials" from the get-go, not *quite* your age so minimal experience with bias plies).

Sounds like I managed to dodge a bullet or two with that v1.0 AA!

Hey, am I reading you right here...I`m *assuming* there`s no reason to *not* keep using "A" on the rare occasions I want a LSP-stripper?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    My father bought a scad of AA some time ago and I’m still using it up on his tires and wells. It doesn’t hurt a thing it just doesn’t last long at all.
    20 years after his passing, I still have at least a half-gallon of *my* dad`s AA. Can`t seem to find any use for it since I don`t want to redo stuff all that often.

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch
    Ah, sounds like you like it. I don`t think we ever used that Power Dissolver in the kitchen, just in the shop (which sound kinda nutty..).

Post Thanks / Like

It`s a great product, unless
    you use wax or a combination
    sealant .

If you wish to remove things that
    that damage a clear coat like
    dirt and grime , bird carp -
    it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s good enough for those baby ducks it`s good enough for me!
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    If it`s good enough for those baby ducks it`s good enough for me!
    For washing things in the same category as oil-contaminated baby ducks, I agree 100%. For things in other categories, sometimes there are better options...just like so many things that`re great for one application but not for another.
    Likes FIDOAG14 liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information