Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone still using Meguiars D300?

As a side note.....D300, paired with their MF pads has got to be the easiest cutting combination I know of. It`s what I give to me newbie detailers when they`re just starting out or friends that want to work on their cars.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Heh heh, sounds like some of my [crap] is registering with you

David Fermani- Heh heh#2, those "easiest cutting combos" might be kinda risky in the wrong (e.g., uninformed/neophyte/newbie?) hands, for the reasons we were discussing on that "Hours" thread Back when minor correction via PC took all afternoon, it was harder to overthin the paint (and back then, yeah..I was [griping] about that too).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    D300 was always a great performer for me paired with the DMC pads. Unfortunately, the cinnamon fragrance is just one of those scents that I never caught on with. One of the very rare circumstances where the fragrance ended up being a distraction for me, crazy as I usually prefer products that have some sort of fragrance. That`s one of the reasons why I like the Griot`s BOSS lineup of abrasives so much aside from their performance.

My last bottle of D300 stored inside also turned super watery and ended up fully separating in the bottle after a few months of sitting. One of the few times I`ve seen a polish go bad on me, I`m wondering if those style of tops they use provide a good enough seal or not. My stock of Poorboy`s Black Hole also went bad on me when I stored it in some extra bottles with that same self-cleaning style dispenser cap. My D301 and D302 were still in good shape though.
    I had to off ACA500, and AAT501 for making me nauseous.

I do like the D300 though!

I think my favorite scent from a compound was Rupes Zephyr.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a great compound for all the reasons you mention, Mr. Fermani!

I always thought it delivered a very nice cut, and was very easy to work with.

There was one or two occasions where I needed to grab the M100 for some turbo boost, but D300 was always easier to work with.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you post about D300 now, I just used it on a new 4Runner this week. Always loved the smell, but I noticed it doesn`t finish quite as well on newer cars than it did when it first came out. It could also be that my gallon of D300 is a couple years old, not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

RZJZA80- I`d be surprised if it`s gone bad after just a few years; *all* of my [abrasive products] are a lot older than that and they all work same as when new.

Also..just FWIW, I`ve never had *ANY* aggressive abrasive finish out OK. I don`t even like how M205 finishes though, so maybe I`m, uhm...different

Post Thanks / Like

When D300 first came out it finished down very well on most paints, but noticed it leaves some hazing behind on new cars nowadays. M205 I`ve noticed the same thing. Both of those I`ve had gallons of it for a few years now though since I use GG BOSS polishes the majority of the time now.

Post Thanks / Like

You know now that I think about it, I used a GG6 most of the time when D300 came out, and GG21/15 the past few years, so that may be the difference, it just works better with a short throw than a long throw polisher.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    When D300 first came out it finished down very well on most paints, but noticed it leaves some hazing behind on new cars nowadays. M205 I`ve noticed the same thing...
    Ah, I suspect we`re not quite on the same page, that might explain our differing takes on this...

I`m absolutely *NOT* talking about anything as severe as visible "hazing", not even close to literal "micromarring"; things look fine until I do side-by-side comparisons in the right lighting, but when I *do* those comparisons, even my wife can always say "that side looks better/worse".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    D300 was always a great performer for me paired with the DMC pads. Unfortunately, the cinnamon fragrance is just one of those scents that I never caught on with. One of the very rare circumstances where the fragrance ended up being a distraction for me, crazy as I usually prefer products that have some sort of fragrance. That`s one of the reasons why I like the Griot`s BOSS lineup of abrasives so much aside from their performance.

My last bottle of D300 stored inside also turned super watery and ended up fully separating in the bottle after a few months of sitting. One of the few times I`ve seen a polish go bad on me, I`m wondering if those style of tops they use provide a good enough seal or not. My stock of Poorboy`s Black Hole also went bad on me when I stored it in some extra bottles with that same self-cleaning style dispenser cap. My D301 and D302 were still in good shape though.
    How do the griots polishes compare to the smell of 3D1 waxmode? I love the smell of that stuff. And how does the BOSS correcting cream compare to sonax perfect finish - cut/finish? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    How do the griots polishes compare to the smell of 3D1 waxmode? I love the smell of that stuff. And how does the BOSS correcting cream compare to sonax perfect finish - cut/finish? Thanks

3D One smells great too, I think Griot`s smells even better! Boss Correcting Cream got me a slightly more cut, but not quite as high of a finish, and wipeoff is not as good as Sonax Perfect Finish. Correcting Cream can still get close to Perfect Finish`s gloss numbers out of the glossmeter, but Perfect Finish delivers peak numbers consistently on my test panel.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Loach- Ah, thanks for that comparison! As somebody who`s never tried anything from Sonax, and was leaning towards the GG next time, I definitely appreciate your comparison between it and the BOSS CC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information