Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Trim Test

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Trim Test

I am looking forward to this test.

Back in the day used to use Black wow and then
    Ultima Trim and trie guard plus. As far as older trim sealants the UTTGP was my favorite and it lasted.

Then came coatings and Solution finish. Early on I liked SF since it was so dark but I never felt it lasted like I thought it should. Then I realized I needed to seal in the SF. SF sealed with a coating or another trim sealant made this a winner.

I had a trim coating applied to one of our vehicles and after about 4+ years it started to “silver”. I was told reps for the company that I must have screwed up the application and that kinda ticked me off since I had applied many other coatings with no issues and I had the trim coating on for the 4+ years with no issues. They couldn’t accept that maybe the coating “failing”was possible at this point. But then the new issue was how to you remove it from textured trim without polishing or abrasives. The answer was you really can’t. Since then I have stuck with SF and a trim sealant that I can reapply more often and not run into future issues.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I am looking forward to this test.

Back in the day used to use Black wow and then
    Ultima Trim and trie guard plus. As far as older trim sealants the UTTGP was my favorite and it lasted.

Then came coatings and Solution finish. Early on I liked SF since it was so dark but I never felt it lasted like I thought it should. Then I realized I needed to seal in the SF. SF sealed with a coating or another trim sealant made this a winner.

I had a trim coating applied to one of our vehicles and after about 4+ years it started to “silver”. I was told reps for the company that I must have screwed up the application and that kinda ticked me off since I had applied many other coatings with no issues and I had the trim coating on for the 4+ years with no issues. They couldn’t accept that maybe the coating “failing”was possible at this point. But then the new issue was how to you remove it from textured trim without polishing or abrasives. The answer was you really can’t. Since then I have stuck with SF and a trim sealant that I can reapply more often and not run into future issues.
    Black Wow seemed to get lost in the mix with SF around. Unfortunately coating a trim does not always yield the best results and will need to be reapplied as it is not a set it and forget it. I find myself re-coating trim with a ceramic coating once a year to maintain the look. I have not seen any issues doing it this way and the trim stays looking good. Now I know someone will say then why put a coating on it in the first place. Well number one I am lazy when it comes to trim and trim sealants need to be reapplied more often.

SF is great but I would not top it with a ceramic coating unless one wants to be locked out from using SF down the road as the coating will not allow the SF to penetrate into the plastic like before. I have seen this on my dads car where I coated the trim. So re-coat it once a year now. SF will be releasing their trim sealant through the rag company something this quarter.

One thing you may want to try on that trim is optimum hyper polish. It won`t stain trim and does a good job at cleaning trim. It may not get into all of the texture but you can at least mask that by re-coating it.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

TroyScherer- Ah, you hit upon one of my big concerns about Trim Coatings: how to remove `em.

And, heh heh..doesn`t it always seem like "oh, user-error" is the response when something goes sideways?

Does the UTTG+ (which I`m still using) work OK over the SF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- Ah, the test is already showing something! Interesting that the Perl died so fast, especially with some here liking it. Gee, IME a SprayWax could hold up better than that!
    Perl looks great. I use it undiluted. No durability for me, either.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz,

Great test. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Does the UTTG+ (which I`m still using) work OK over the SF?
    I`m just now stumbling into this thread and happen the have both of these products.

Wondering if anyone has used this combo.

Thanks for all the effort put into this test!

Post Thanks / Like

craigdt- Maybe we`ll get an answer yet! I`d really like to know....

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering why UTTG works for you guys so well. It does very little for me. WETS is my go-to but I`ve been meaning to try C4.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t posted on this thread in some time.

Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great test...Very informative...interesting results!

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Guz.

CarPro DLux looks great and makes me want to change from the Pinnacle Ceramic Trim that I’ve been using. I have a question about Dlux after Solution Finish. How long do you have to wait after applying Solution Finish before applying Dlux and any special prep? And what do you need to do before adding a second coat of Dlux 9 mo or a year later?

And I really like the Eley hose nozzle but the 3 position nozzle is just ok. I have but hadn’t used the wide watering nozzle but your video just changed that. I’ll use that as soon as I can but probably not in earnest until next year.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Thanks for the update Guz.

CarPro DLux looks great and makes me want to change from the Pinnacle Ceramic Trim that I’ve been using. I have a question about Dlux after Solution Finish. How long do you have to wait after applying Solution Finish before applying Dlux and any special prep? And what do you need to do before adding a second coat of Dlux 9 mo or a year later?

And I really like the Eley hose nozzle but the 3 position nozzle is just ok. I have but hadn’t used the wide watering nozzle but your video just changed that. I’ll use that as soon as I can but probably not in earnest until next year.
    I have moved away from restoring trim with SF and putting a coating over it. The reason being is that if and when the trim starts to fade, SF won`t work that well. Chris West covers this on an Autogeek video with Mike. I actually regret doing this on my dad`s impala because this exact thing happened on the cowl. It doesn`t look the same and requires a coating reapplication every few months. I would stick with SF and a trim sealant.

I would only coat new trim or fairly new looking trim.

For reapplication, wash, panel wipe and reapply.

Also keep in mind that ceramic trim coatings that have the dye are not going to last as long due to them being an all in one trying to do multiple tasks. Surprised the color in PBL ceramic trim restorer lasted that long.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information