Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CarPro SiC

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro SiC

Hey all, anyone get a chance to test out CarPro SiC? I`m curious how it fares against the reliable ole Cquartz UK 3.0.

Link Removed

I found someone`s impressions here but not much else on the Internet:

Link Removed

For my next project on a car with PPF, I`m either using Kamikaze ISM, CQUK3, or this new stuff. Like many of you, it doesn`t matter to me if the formula uses Ti02, Silicon Carbide, or sugar crystals. If it performs, then great!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro SiC

Sandro from CCAD has the jump on reviews: https://youtu.be/AjHhhsVe_oM
    Likes showbbq liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Does look interesting the takeaway from Sandro was slightly better water spotting than UK but still not a game changer. Very slick for a coating compared to many others and way slicker than UK. Layering on top of UK may yield better performance than two coats of SiC or UK on their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wristymanchego View Post
    Sandro from CCAD has the jump on reviews: https://youtu.be/AjHhhsVe_oM
    Awesome! Will watch the entire video soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered using a dedicated PPF coating? Cquartz Skin and Halo are two good options. Skin is more flexible over PPF according to Avi at CarPro.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes showbbq, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have you considered using a dedicated PPF coating? Cquartz Skin and Halo are two good options. Skin is more flexible over PPF according to Avi at CarPro.
    Good point. I haven`t tested any ppf specific coatings yet. Only parts of this car will have ppf so I`ll probably coat the entire vehicle with the same coating. At least on the paint. On the wheels and interior I`m planning on using 4 different coatings I have on my shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

So I had a chance to play with CarPro SiC and here are some thoughts. I applied it recently so the notes below are about application. I think most are curious how it compares to Cquartz UK 3.0.

- Finding the correct wipe off and leveling time is the most important step. My temp was 51 degrees Fahrenheit with 50% humidity, and I found the ideal time to be approximately 7 minutes. After leveling the area should look darker but completely even. Wipe off after 8 minutes was a bit too stubborn. Whereas with CQUK 3.0, you get a nice rainbow oil slick and can roughly estimate the correct wipe off time based on grabbiness.

- Give it a few minutes past the ideal time or cover too many panels too fast and well, Godspeed and may your forearms have unlimited strength and endurance. Of course you can always apply more coating to assist with wipe off.

- Low nap microfiber towels are especially helpful with this coating. Even cheapo ones work better than the standard yellow ones you see everywhere.

- If you see an area and think it might have a high spot, it probably does. Mr. Miyagi that spot quick! There were a few "oh crap" spots that didn`t start leveling out until 4-5 more passes with the microfiber.

- The solvents and coating smell just as tasty as CQUK 3.0. A mask is probably not a bad idea. If only everything smelled like CarPro Reload huh?

- I applied 2 layers of SiC and wipe off of the second layer was marginally easier. I did polish with CarPro Essence prior to application.

- Looks wise it`s comparable to cquartz, which is to say the paint takes on a richer hue with improved gloss. Trim and plastics also darken up nicely.

- Overall if you`re patient, methodical and have proper lighting, application shouldn`t be an issue. For newcomers I`d recommend starting with a more forgiving coating.

CarPro SiC-image4.jpeg
    CarPro SiC-image5.jpeg
    CarPro SiC-image0.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes BudgetPlan1, noorth, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, William_Wallace, Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

@showbbq nicely done write up. Very good info on the second layer being a wee bit easier. Because Cquartz UK second coat was alway a PIA so much that I wouldn’t even attempt after I kept applying. So I will definitely be trying it thanks for twisting my arm.
    Likes showbbq liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Used SiC to coat the door jambs today and talk about a long flash time. I had to wait the full 8 mins.

Slick just like TiO2 and even has the same scent.

Likes BudgetPlan1, showbbq liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those wait times seem way to long and I`d think they would slow me down.

After using CQuartz UK 2.0 and CQuartz TiO2, I found their flash times just about perfect for my work flow. I can easily get a half pannel or even whole panel applied and properly removed. CQuartz UK was actually long enough it slows me down and it sounds like SiC can be even longer!

I realize the idea is to keep working ahead, but if the flash time is 7+ minutes, I`m either standing around waiting or trying to work farther down the car. Typically for me, working too far ahead leads to problems and mistakes. about two minutes is perfect!

Performance-wise I really like CQuartz coatings, but their really long flash times are starting to make me look for other products I can apply easier/faster.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

After using CQuartz UK 2.0 and CQuartz TiO2, I found their flash times just about perfect for my work flow. I can easily get a half pannel or even whole panel applied and properly removed. CQuartz UK was actually long enough it slows me down and it sounds like SiC can be even longer!

I realize the idea is to keep working ahead, but if the flash time is 7+ minutes, I`m either standing around waiting or trying to work farther down the car. Typically for me, working too far ahead leads to problems and mistakes. about two minutes is perfect!

Performance-wise I really like CQuartz coatings, but their really long flash times are starting to make me look for other products I can apply easier/faster.
    Seems carpro went backwards on Sic for novice users like myself. Complicated. Haven`t checked there site lately but they didn`t even have an user manual on there site a week or so ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

You may want to start looking at other coatings to see what would work in your area with shorter flash times. Nothing wring with trying something new. Look at Budget and I . You can always go back to Cquartz. May want to put 22ple down the line on your list as they also have long flash times. The benefit is working multiple areas at once with these longer flash times.

SiC like TiO2 won`t harden the applicator like UK.

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Seems carpro went backwards on Sic for novice users like myself. Complicated. Haven`t checked there site lately but they didn`t even have an user manual on there site a week or so ago.
    It is similar to TiO2 as that also had longer flash times compared to UK. It just depends on the conditions as in the right conditions TiO2 would flash faster. Everyone won`t care as soon as they feel how slick SiC is. People never commented on the flash times of TiO2 because UK was the popular coating.

They took a step forward with UK. Still too early to say on SiC but it will do well. Already seeing a lot of UK/SiC combo`s in the group. Gliss seems to be losing some traction at the moment.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro SiC

Edit: video already posted. It is a good watch.

Saw a video (car craft auto detailing where he did a test spot to wipe off. Basically did half a trunk and wiped off a section at every minute to find right wipe off time he knew 7 was it because 8 min was where it got grabby.

For initial testing a layer of cquk3 abd topped with SiC performed best

Here’s his video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjHhhsVe_oM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Edit: video already posted. It is a good watch.

Saw a video (car craft auto detailing where he did a test spot to wipe off. Basically did half a trunk and wiped off a section at every minute to find right wipe off time he knew 7 was it because 8 min was where it got grabby.

For initial testing a layer of cquk3 abd topped with SiC performed best

Here’s his video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjHhhsVe_oM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I watched that and another one by Detail Popo, he done basically the same thing.

Not a fan of the process personally. Uk is pretty straight forward i found, Sandro stated its a quick bonding coating so its hard to mess up. Sic seems to be very tedious.

Post Thanks / Like

They took a step forward with UK. Still too early to say on SiC but it will do well. Already seeing a lot of UK/SiC combo`s in the group. Gliss seems to be losing some traction at the moment.
    Mike are you referring to the facebook group?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information