Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best ceramic for durability/value/ease of application?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    If thats the case give a lite coating a try. You’ll get alot and no problem buffing off while correcting in spring.

Can coat or Cquartz lite....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is some good advice the coating lites are easy to apply. do the above setup with clay and decon. Can coat is nice product to apply. You spray it into the provided microfiber towel and rub it over the panel and take a second microfiber and run it over the same surface And your done move on to the next panel. Cancoat has legs to it stay around on the surface and beads water well.
    Likes rand0m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best ceramic for durability/value/ease of application?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I have CqUk3 on my car and like it but found it hard to do with out proper lighting. Ended up with a few high spots i had to polish out and remove.

Recommend getting a hand held light with a diffuser (gyeon and scangrip have them) if you dont have proper lighting.

I’ve heard Adams, Blackfire and Wolfgang coatings are nice and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only downside to the Adams coating is that it is not as durable as Cquartz UK 3.0. Even CQ lite is more durable than it. Adams definitely needs that boost to keep it performing.

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Guys, what about Cquartz Lite if Ross prefers to tend to the truck more often?

Ross, welcome aboard!!
    It is a great option. Lite it pretty darn durable.

Quote Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
    I drive a Ram also and have experience with Zanio as well as many of the more modern coatings too. I am not a pro just a guy like you that wants my stuff to look nice. I suggest you get Optimum Gloss Coat and find a video on YouTube and follow it with all the prep. Or if you dont mind a two stage coating then use CarPro UK with Gliss on Top. Its super hydrophobic and will easily last a year.

I would also suggest you find a good SIO2 topper spray and use it as a drying aid about once a month. CarPro Reload is really easy to use even though its not the longest lasting but if you do it monthly it doesn`t matter as they all last that long.
    The only thing is that gloss coat is not as durable as cquartz UK. Comes up short. Easy to apply though.

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post

I think the only downside of lite is that the bottle probably won’t be any good about a year later. I don’t see the value unless you’re doing multiple cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Can also use it on wheels, side and rear glass. It is good for touch ups along the way. The benefit to Lite is that it is wipe and wipe off and is more forgiving when it comes to high spots compared to CQUK 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtf83 View Post
    Well, the more I learn about this stuff, the more I realize I should be really doing some paint correction before sealing, which I don`t currently have time for.

My thought now is a stop-gap until I can take the time it deserves:
    1. Good two bucket wash (open to shampoo suggestions, sounds like it`s not super important)
    2. Decon with AUTOSCRUB Medium Grade Sponge lubricated by ONR
    3. Quick fill/seal with Griot`s Garage 11075 One-Step Sealant

Later, when I have the time (possibly while we`re down in Florida):
    1. Probably pay for proper paint correction/polish
    2. Wash
    3. Decon
    4. Seal, probably with Cquartz 3.0

Am I doing anything wrong here?
    Just be aware that the one step sealant is not going to last you that long. You will be applying it more often. You could also use Cquartz Lite as mentioned instead of one step sealant as mentioned. You are already there other than using a paint prep like Eraser. Gyeon Cancoat would be the other option.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Can also use it on wheels, side and rear glass. It is good for touch ups along the way. The benefit to Lite is that it is wipe and wipe off and is more forgiving when it comes to high spots compared to CQUK 3.0.
    Right, I also forgot OP has a truck so much more would be used. Cancoat seems like a better value though if you can get another application in a year or so?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    It is not going to get any more easy then the TWHS line. Been using the products for months. STELLAR results. Each and every time. Start with the POLISH & WAX. Follow with the SPRAY COATING. Maintain with the WET WAX.

TW Hybrid Solutions Afternoon detail.

And a video from APEX DETAILING on the new BLACK SERIES spray wax.

https://youtu.be/XXktKg3QaVI
    I think you missed the OP saying he won’t be able to do much or anything to maintain the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if the Cquartz Lite is not usable after 1 year, there`s no chance I can use up the bottle I just bought. Also, we`ve been in a water ban (on-going) for a number of months and I`ve done next to no winter prep yet... Somewhat unhappy about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Yeah, if the Cquartz Lite is not usable after 1 year, there`s no chance I can use up the bottle I just bought. Also, we`ve been in a water ban (on-going) for a number of months and I`ve done next to no winter prep yet... Somewhat unhappy about that.
    Water ban in Boston metro? Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Major drought since the Spring and no snow this past winter. We hit a Tier 5 ban which I`ve never seen before. We need rain. The storms all seem to bypass us.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    Right, I also forgot OP has a truck so much more would be used. Cancoat seems like a better value though if you can get another application in a year or so?

It may be a little harder to spread out a year later.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrtf83 View Post
    Well, the more I learn about this stuff, the more I realize I should be really doing some paint correction before sealing, which I don`t currently have time for.

My thought now is a stop-gap until I can take the time it deserves:
    1. Good two bucket wash (open to shampoo suggestions, sounds like it`s not super important)
    2. Decon with AUTOSCRUB Medium Grade Sponge lubricated by ONR
    3. Quick fill/seal with Griot`s Garage 11075 One-Step Sealant

Later, when I have the time (possibly while we`re down in Florida):
    1. Probably pay for proper paint correction/polish
    2. Wash
    3. Decon
    4. Seal, probably with Cquartz 3.0

Am I doing anything wrong here?
    jrtf83 - Welcome to the Forum !
    That is a very nice truck, Congrats !

You mentioned you have used Zaino; are you really good at applying Thin Coats, as that was always the Zaino process? I used a lot of Zaino prior to the year 2000.
    My Zaino Rep applied hundreds of layers to his red Toyota and his paint looked like it had a thick layer of clear coat on it..

You need to apply Thin Coat/s of whatever product you decide to use if it is a Coating, ok ?

You need not good, but Great lighting as well.. preferably lots of overhead and then a good set of lights on a stand that you take with you all around the vehicle so you can see the coating from the edge where the panel and the light come together... All over the vehicle...

This is how I have been doing it for over 15 years, and I have no problems, issues, no high spots, etc., I just do not allow my application process to do that..

You have Zaino experience, so you should remember about laying down those 3 THIN coats with ZFX mixed, and then that was it, right ?? Do it that way again, and you will be fine..

I know that Optimum products work really great.. I have proof of their ability to last years on my own vehicles, which I always tested out products, before I ever use them on Client vehicles..

If you brought it in to my shop, I would use Optimum Gloss Coat - 2 coats, and you would love it.. It would last longer if you keep from using car wash places as much as possible... They all have to use a really strong soap to get as much off your vehicle in 1 pass.. That`s why nothing lasts very long if you use those places all the time.. And if they have those brushes, they also give you free scratches, etc...

You need to prepare your paint to the best you can to help your Coating choice adhere the best to the surface, if you want it to last a long time..
    Are you going to paint correct your truck at all ?

If not, then use your Autoscrub product, but use the FINE grade, so you do not introduce marring to your paintwork.. Yes, a Fine grade may take a little longer to get the paint really smooth, but that is ok, just be prepared to do it, and do it with lots of water, or clay lube, etc,..I have always done it this way and I never have issues ..

For sure, a really good, careful, paint correction will always allow the coating to adhere the best to the paintwork, AND you get a beautiful vehicle, that just blinds you in the sunlight to look at it... And the product will have to last longer, because it was applied on a really clean surface..

On my personal 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, in Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat, with the first version of Optimum Opti-Guard Coating, I drove 2,000 miles straight to Texas from California, and it did not even look dirty when I arrived...Very little dirt even stuck to it.. This coating ended up staying on the vehicle for years..

Yes, perhaps Optimum Gloss Coat may not go that long, but how do you know until you try it ?

Good luck with your research and your project !
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You don`t have to do a full correction. I`ve played with applying coatings in some pretty poorly prepped surfaces and they seem to last. A simple paint cleaner after a wash is good enough. My wife`s car I just did an ABC wash and then applied the coating (McKees) over a year ago and it`s still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious what did you (original poster) go with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information