Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Formula ONR

Post Thanks / Like

New Formula ONR

I guess since it`s SEMA week Optimum announced a reformulation to ONR:

Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine New & Improved formula offers the Ultimate in lubricity during the wash as well as drying with greater gloss and protection. The polymers in the new formula have been modified to improve encapsulation and create a greater barrier between the dirt particulates and automotive finishes. You will notice the greater lubricity while washing your car with Big Red Sponge or other wash media as well as during the drying process with Optimum Microfiber towels. The new formula will also leave more protection and gloss than before!

This is on top of a "tweak" that was revealed a few months ago to improve dirt release and reduce wash media staining. ONRWW has the tweak but not the new formula, I presume that is because it is a slower mover and it will be updated when they make a new batch. I have not used the new formula or the "tweaked" one (I`m barely into my bottle of the last reformulation), I`m just passing this on. I think it`s good news, since ONR had become kind of passé with all the newer rinseless washes, and I`ll applaud any attempts to reduce the media staining that ONR and QEW were so good at.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Formula ONR

I`ve been an ONR fan for years. Last week I used Feynlab Rinseless for the first time and it`s making me think about switching. Now I`m going to have to try another rinseless product. I`m glad to see Dr. G and Optimum making some changes to stay current in the market.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss Rinseless is pretty tough to beat. None of that sticky stuff on the washmitt. ECH2O is pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Duragloss Rinseless is pretty tough to beat. None of that sticky stuff on the washmitt. ECH2O is pretty good too.
    Sticky stuff on the washmitt?

Post Thanks / Like

For those interested in how to clean dirtied wash media used with ONR (Microfiber noodle mitts, cotton chenille mitts, sponges, wool mitts, and/or "fluffy" microfiber towels) please see the thread I started on this very subject: (My synopsis from the discussions/suggestions of the method is in post No. 30)
    Help Cleaning Dirty Microfiber Wash Media After using ONR

The "sticky stuff" in microfber noodle or cotton chenille wash media alluded to above is the result of the now-old formula (Version 2.0?) encapsulation that "clings" to such fiber media and was/is somewhat "difficult" to remove. My microfiber noodle mitt wash media always looks grungy and dirty after using ONR to remove winter road traffic film (beet juice salt binder, nasty stuff!!) that touch-less tunnel car washes could not remove, hence my start of the above linked thread discussion.

That leads to a question about which wash media is best with using ONR. Anyone using Optimum`s Big Red Sponge with ONR that is alluded to in their website product release notification/description posted above??? Just wondering if is THE most effective way to use and clean with ONR.
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sticky stuff on the washmitt?
    If it leaves something sticky on the washmit, it leave something sticky on the paint. Maybe they fixed the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

The older ONR would indeed leave a sticky residue for me, but...incredibly...only on certain surfaces! Even now, as I use it up as a household dusting/etc. product, there are a handful of surfaces I can`t use it on, despite it working fine on other seemingly identical surfaces.

Whenver I cleaned wheels with ONR between regular washes, they were a huge PIA to do the next time. Whatever it left behind didn`t play nice with my brakepads or something.

I`ll be interested to see any comparisons between this version of ONR and IUDJ.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never experienced any sticky residue from ONR; by my count the "new" version is V.4, my first bottle of ONR was V.2 (I think that came out in 2010), and I just started my small bottle of V.3 that I bought when it came out (I think 2013). So if you guys are talking about V.1, I`m in the dark about that.

Lonnie, I have tried to like the sponges (I haven`t tried the BRS, it seemed too expensive, but I did try their blue waffle sponge, if they even still sell that), I use MF wash pads usually. Now that I think of it, I did used to use grout sponges when that was a thing. Relative to your laundry thread I think last time I washed my MF pads I did an ONR prewash (using the machine prewash cycle) and the pads came out a lot cleaner.

I`m getting some weird static over on the Optimum forum regarding an additional statement that the "forum rep" made; "The recently announced reformulation of ONR is superior to anything else in the marketplace". I questioned this because they always say that Optimum doesn`t test competing products. Maybe that`s just something they have said so as not to get in a pissing contest about such things. Anyway, at the rate I have been washing and the amount of wash I have, I don`t think I`ll be finding out anything about this new ONR version for some time.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I had Optimum rinseless version 2 or maybe 3. It`s been so long ago I`m not totally sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The new bottle of ONR says New Formula right on the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we can talk Loach into doing one of his "scientific experiments" to derive empirical and subjective data as tangible proof of which rinse-less wash soaps is the best. Another never-ending Autopian Forum question: Which rinse-less wash is the best? Add that to "abrasives (compounds and polishes), foam pads, buffers, leather cleaners and conditioners (my favorite!), Last-Step Products (Waxes, sealants, coatings), microfibers (which I did ask about),chrome and metal cleaners and polishes (which I SHOULD ask), APCs and De-greasers, Car Wash Soaps" categories... well you get the idea, there are a lot of car-care products to ask about which one is the best.

I must say, I do not do rinse-less washes that much, except in the winter after drive-through touch-less tunnel car washes do not remove the RTF salt-binder, ambient temperatures permitting. I do more spot washes of bird bombs with ONR and in Wisconsin, seagull and goose droppings are a must to remove as soon as possible.

As a side note, Accumulator mentioned he uses ONR for "cleaning" furniture in his house. Not sure if he meant laminate plastic(Formica) furniture or true wood (varnished) furniture. I would definitely consider using it for painted appliances. Anyone else use ONR for this purpose??? My go-to "cleaner" wash for wood furniture and cabinets has always been Murphy`s Oil Soap.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I used ONR (whatever gen 2 years ago was) for rinseless washing a handful of times, then changed over to something different as it felt like dirt was binding to the car more than it had been prior to using ONR. I could have been wrong, unfortunately I don`t get really scientific with my car cleaning - With limited time to dedicate to the task, I find myself going back to products that have the most positive experience during/after use.

I bought a gallon of it since it had such positive forum feedback at the time. Since I stopped using it for car washing, I have been using it for cleaning my hardwood/linoleum/tile floors.

I also use it at work for cleaning under hood plastics after major repairs to give the car a "Cleaned with intention" look. Since we don`t offer detailing, my goal isn`t a "Just detailed" look. Actually works really well for that task, and I`ve gotten positive feedback from customers.

[For the record- if I ever worked on an Autopian level car where it was clear the paint/surfaces were cared for, I wouldn`t use it. Wouldn`t want to use something that would leave anything (however minor) behind that could affect their using whatever their product of choice is. Sadly, despite the brands we work on, most cars are firmly rooted in the "appliance" category to the owners.]

Oh, I do also use it for wiping down the interiors of our loaner cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I used ONR (whatever gen 2 years ago was) for rinseless washing a handful of times, then changed over to something different as it felt like dirt was binding to the car more than it had been prior to using ONR. I could have been wrong, unfortunately I don`t get really scientific with my car cleaning - With limited time to dedicate to the task, I find myself going back to products that have the most positive experience during/after use.

I bought a gallon of it since it had such positive forum feedback at the time. Since I stopped using it for car washing, I have been using it for cleaning my hardwood/linoleum/tile floors.

I also use it at work for cleaning under hood plastics after major repairs to give the car a "Cleaned with intention" look. Since we don`t offer detailing, my goal isn`t a "Just detailed" look. Actually works really well for that task, and I`ve gotten positive feedback from customers.

[For the record- if I ever worked on an Autopian level car where it was clear the paint/surfaces were cared for, I wouldn`t use it. Wouldn`t want to use something that would leave anything (however minor) behind that could affect their using whatever their product of choice is. Sadly, despite the brands we work on, most cars are firmly rooted in the "appliance" category to the owners.]

Oh, I do also use it for wiping down the interiors of our loaner cars.
    I am laughing because I cleaned out an interior in a loaner car once while my Subaru was having warranty work done on it. It just "needed" it according to my OCD standards. The service department did thank me.

Never thought about using ONR on house flooring as it might be too slick with what it leave behind.

So, Oneheadlite, what ARE you using now for a rinse-less wash these days??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My generally unloved ONR is the V2.0. Those who haven`t experienced the "tougher subsequent cleaning" effect are lucky..it wasn`t a subtle diff by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    As a side note, Accumulator mentioned he uses ONR for "cleaning" furniture in his house. Not sure if he meant laminate plastic(Formica) furniture or true wood (varnished) furniture. I would definitely consider using it for painted appliances. Anyone else use ONR for this purpose??? My go-to "cleaner" wash for wood furniture and cabinets has always been Murphy`s Oil Soap.
    After decades of being a furniture-care snob, I`m now using the ONR on everything from laminate stuff to old antique wood pieces with various types of finishes. Works great as long as things aren`t too bad; if they are I clean with something *other than the Murphy`s* to avoid leaving behind some residue that the ONR might not like (I like Minwax`s Wood Cleaner but dunno if it`s really anything special or not).

I do have maybe three pieces that don`t like the ONR: they end up a little bit tacky. I use IUDJ on those with no problems.

After a few years of regular (generally weekly) RW-dusting, our woodwork looks notably better, and it wasn`t bad before. This was on of my better ideas, sure glad I tried it and stuck with it (seemed to get so-so results the first few times, maybe due to residue from previous efforts).

BUT...same o` same ol`...I greatly prefer IUDJ for this type of work also, and IME it works *MUCH* better on glazed ceramics. But again, I have an old version of ONR.
    Likes RMD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I am laughing because I cleaned out an interior in a loaner car once while my Subaru was having warranty work done on it. It just "needed" it according to my OCD standards. The service department did thank me.
    Back when I was more Autopian, I did that frequently. Got a really nice letter from the founder of ECS (now ECS Tuning) when I did the last one, a BMW 740i that I liked a lot more than I expected to. Even went full-Autopian on a black rent-a-Suburban once...now seems like I must`ve been crazy, but I had it for so long that I knew it`d drive me nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information