Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Durability Test: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Great test ! Thank you for keeping up with it for us !

Have you ever washed it with something like Carpro Reset to see if helps ?

In my experience after Coating (and using nothing else, toppers, etc., in between), and seeing the appearance degrade, the beading degrade, once I washed it a couple of times with Reset, the coating was now back on top and all the gunk and crap that sticks to the paint was gone...

I finally decided to only use Reset for all my washes, and the coating is very happy with that... I guess that is why they named this product Reset...
    https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.YFUy_FWpH3g
    For $10 more, you can get the 1 liter bottle..

Dan F
    I`ve used Reset in the past on coatings and really liked it. Due to the price, I could see using Reset a couple times at the start of the year to do just like you describe: get the winter crud out of the coating. However, knowing the soap is stronger than most and designed for coatings, I`ve not used it on this sealant.

When I posted up that update last week I`d washed it once with Optimum Car Wash and once with Meguiars Hyperwash. After a week of torrential rain and an autocross event on a wet, grimy parking lot, I had to wash it again yesterday. This wash was again with the Hyperwash and I`m seeing the continued slow decline of the water behavior.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Be interesting to see if reset does anything. So if looks like 4-5 months (max performance) is realistic for a garaged car. Not bad considering it’s not hard to reapply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the update!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    Be interesting to see if reset does anything. So if looks like 4-5 months (max performance) is realistic for a garaged car. Not bad considering it’s not hard to reapply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    4~5 Months of max performance is fair. I`d also caveat that with it being left naked and untouched in some rather awful weather. Even though "max performance" is gone it`s still going and I`m not quite to the point where I`d issue a death certificate. I`m comfortable is saying it is still offering some protection. Most people should be able to get through an entire winter before needing to re-apply. If the same person has a warm garage or moments of mild weather where they could give it a quick spritz of a spray sealant of some form, you`d make it easily. I simply haven`t for the sake of testing to see how it holds up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    4~5 Months of max performance is fair. I`d also caveat that with it being left naked and untouched in some rather awful weather. Even though "max performance" is gone it`s still going and I`m not quite to the point where I`d issue a death certificate. I`m comfortable is saying it is still offering some protection. Most people should be able to get through an entire winter before needing to re-apply. If the same person has a warm garage or moments of mild weather where they could give it a quick spritz of a spray sealant of some form, you`d make it easily. I simply haven`t for the sake of testing to see how it holds up.
    I`ll be experimenting with some other stuff this spring.....but it`s had this sealant on it since the fall. It got boosted with the WG SIO2 spray sealant a handful of times along the way, and is still beading very nicely. Of all the current crop of liquid sealants, it`s the one I like the best
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had tested this SiO2 Sealant last year on a few panels. It lasted months after max performance decline. That probably doesn’t mean much to us on this forum who constantly top, reapply or just strip and try new... but it’s something I keep track of for when deciding what to use on family members’ cars. How long can it go while still protecting even if behavior is declined, it’s likely still protecting.

Post Thanks / Like

As of Saturday, 17 April 2021, this test has come to an end when I polished the sealant off in preparation to apply a coating. If my math is correct, the Wolfgange SiO2 Sealant was on my car for eight days short of seven months.

I didn`t end the test because I didn`t like the sealant or it had degraded to the point I needed to apply something new. The opposite is true. I really liked this sealant and the stuff simply wouldn`t die! Time and weather work against me in the spring when it comes to coating applications, and with a busy month ahead of me I couldn`t wait any longer.

When I washed the car on Friday evening, the sealant was still making a strong showing of being present and working. In fact, after a couple good washings with Hyperwash, it might have actually IMPROVED from my last update. To the end, it looked pretty good and grime, bug splatters and bird droppings were fairly easy to remove.

Overall I liked this sealant and it is really the only "modern" sealant I`ve used. Before jumping to coatings I used the Klasse Twins and then Collinite 845. Neither are exactly new! This sealant was far, far easier to apply, appears to be more durable, looks great, and has some coating-like (but not identical) water behavior. Where 845 tends to give a carnauba like deep glowing shine, the Wolfgang tends to be more glossy and reflective.

I`m not confident this test really stressed the Wolfgang sealant to it`s full measure. My car spent the time between Thanksgiving and New Years mostly parked in the garage while I teleworked. It sat out through all of February and March which did subject it to some appalling winter weather, so that might of made up for the "easy" life it experienced before that. I`d be confident in saying it will last six months, maybe longer depending on climate.
    Likes Dr Oldz, dwaleke liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this update

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

the Wolfgang SIO2 spray is really wet looking. It`s quite a nice topper.

Post Thanks / Like

I can also update on my experience, I am now on month 7. The roof has finally stopped beading but still sheets water off quickly.

This car is garaged overnight but 5-6 days a week is sitting in full South Florida sun. I am very impressed for it only being a sealant.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    2014 HD Street Glide
    2020 Volvo V60
    2019 Volvo XC60
    Likes Desertnate, dwaleke liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information